+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Job Evaluation... again in General; Primary IT Tech - £11.4k 32.5hrs a week, term time only. Rob....
    Thank Post

Re: Job Evaluation... again

Primary IT Tech - £11.4k 32.5hrs a week, term time only.

Rob.

Thank Post

Hi all - newbie day for me today so hello !!!

I started here as a Network Manager on just over 17k 3 years ago. It is a full time post btw, but I was offered an SO 1-2 grade within 3 months keep me. I basically came here to escape a company from hell, (I was a Systems Admin), and I think they realised I only took it as a temp post.

I feel I was offered the grade mainly as they were in very, very deep poo at the time. (That taught them not to give admin rights on the network to ICT Teaching Staff )

Currently I am not quite mid way in my grade and I am on just over 25k - I think it tops out around 32k ish??

Reading this thread, I feel part ashamed and embarassed by posting mine, but also quite f****##g angry at the general pay levels that fellow IT professionals being expected to take.

Oh dear - my 1st day and on with a rant already....!! 8O

Thank Post

Network Manager about 18k.
    Things is I have little help, apart from a non IT person for 1.5 hours a day. Any technical stuff I am doing all on my own. I have told SMT, but you know what it's like. (sorry, no money for a technician)
    I started on the IT side about 7 years ago on 11k, but the network was a hell of a lot smaller & I was only the technician. Head of ICT (teacher) was the NM, they have since left & I got lumbered.
    Still, it's a job. Pays the mortgage (just)

Thank Post

Cheers for the input everyone.

One thing i should have really asked first is have you gone through the job evaluation, which would have given me a better picture.

Its just bizarre that one school/council can pay nearly double that of another for exactly the same job.

Ahhh! Im mighty pished off! Can ya tell?

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1
    Still, it's a job. Pays the mortgage (just)
    See thats the bit im pished with. With the current market, interest rates rising, etc, i have absolutely zero chance of ever buying a house on my wages, even with the NM job theres no chance. I love my job but i cant live with my parents for the rest of my life

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Durham hasn't caught up yet - might be a good thing! I'm on £15k, haven't a clue where I'll be once JE is complete.

Thank Post

Full time here, i am on 13k, work 37 hours a week.
    NM is full time, 37 hrs a week on 22k

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Durham hasn't caught up yet - might be a good thing! I'm on £15k, haven't a clue where I'll be once JE is complete.
    Fingers crossed you will go up - it will be back dated to April 2005 if you do, which will give you a nice few quid to spend.

Depending on your job title it appears you get graded schools as far as I am aware can argue that you do additonal tasks over and beyond a basic technician to boost up the pay slightly.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r
    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Fingers crossed you will go up - it will be back dated to April 2005 if you do, which will give you a nice few quid to spend.

Depending on your job title it appears you get graded schools as far as I am aware can argue that you do additonal tasks over and beyond a basic technician to boost up the pay slightly.
    Thats what i thought but my HT is unable/unwilling to do so

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

so things haven't improved in the last 6months then? Guess I should give up considering going back into School NMing as I'm now earning more in a very boring office job.

Look on the bright side, when you go home and someone asks what you did today, you can say "I did blah blah blah, updated this, discovered a new way to improve X" etc etc and you can feel like you've achieved something
    My only answer is "I sat on a chair and did feck all"

Anyone want to hire a welsh NM for £30k?

Thank Post

NM on 24k - was lucky my school fought to keep me and made an S01 post for me to fit into, was Senior Tech on 18k

Thank Post

Currently NM on 15.8K but after JE, should things not change, I will now be grade 8, 22.2K - 26.1K but regraded as a Systems Support Officer.

Thank Post

Sorry to sound like a n00b,

I'm a Senior Tech on 16K (before tax obviously) FULLTIME but I do alot including all server stuff and physically networking. I've completed MSCE on some training sim's at home and done lots of tests but also doing a Cisco CCNA course at college after work.

Whats the difference between my job title and a Network manager? We are all under the same title here.

I spend 40% of my wages just getting to work each month which is why I had to go full time, else it wasnt worth my effort.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    Just got my grade and im not best pleased. Grade D for a technician which is just under £14.5k pa.

Dunno what to do, fight for more money or just pack my bags and leave. As it stands im on more money than my grade allows so no prospects of more money there, and itll be a while before the NM job comes up which pays a whoping £2.5k more pa! Big fecking wow

Not best pleased

So whats everyone else on?
    What has surprised me is the huge disparity in pay across the country, particularly the NM position. I mean in your school the NM is on 18K whereas there are NM's in other parts of the country earning double that.
    Ofcourse you can't always compare like for like but nonetheless it is shocking.

I think you're pay is pretty abysmal, unless you wouldn't mind staying on for another year to get additional experience you should really be looking for something else. You can appeal, but that could conceivably take years
    to resolve. Look at how your skillset matches up with other positions whether they be public sector or in industry and move on to bigger and better things

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    See thats the bit im pished with. With the current market, interest rates rising, etc, i have absolutely zero chance of ever buying a house on my wages, even with the NM job theres no chance. I love my job but i cant live with my parents for the rest of my life
    I was lucky, we bought our house about 11 years ago. The prices had dropped to their lowest for years. We couldn't afford to buy our house now, if we had to start afresh. The prices are going through the roof.
    I know what you mean about living with your parents, you love em, but you need your own space.
    Around here, I couldn't even afford to rent now, coz the rents are out of this world.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pooley
    NM on 24k - was lucky my school fought to keep me and made an S01 post for me to fit into, was Senior Tech on 18k
    Similar here, I negotiated the regrading though, it helped that U had an interview lined up elsehwere (for a £26k+ job) and that I do some teaching here. We're currently going through JE, I hope it'll help my techies pay (but not affect mine!) as it's shockingly bad

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast