+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 137
General Chat Thread, Strike Day in General; Originally Posted by nephilim There are many who own their own homes, have plenty of money at the end of ...
  1. #91

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,153
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    There are many who own their own homes, have plenty of money at the end of the month before payday, and then when children come along and can't cope...then there are others who rent, do lots of agency jobs and cope perfectly well and raise normal well rounded children.

    I've been in and out of work a lot since my child was born, I have a second on the way. By your standards I shouldn't have had children...also, you suggest a class based apartheid...which is disgusting
    We live in a world filled with problems - we should be building our society based upon what we have, and what we can sustain. Everyone having kids whenever they want them is not sustainable. Where does it end? At current growth rates, we will have a population of nearly 74 million people in 20 years time!



    As I said, being controversial on purpose here. Why should we be producing a huge number of people who struggle to find jobs (as manual jobs are slowly but surely being replaced by automation and technology)? Yes, this means a sort of 'class' divide but it doesn't really - it just means people need to actually afford their own kids.

    "By themselves" - I mean "without having to get state assistance".

    The comment was made that taking a day off unpaid wasn't an option. If you can't get childcare, and you can't afford to take a day off to look after your child, how does that mean you can afford to take care of your children?

    I just don't see procreation as a responsibility or right though. Maybe I'm just odd.
    Last edited by witch; 28th March 2014 at 11:18 AM.

  2. #92


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,279
    Thank Post
    290
    Thanked 884 Times in 662 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We live in a world filled with problems - we should be building our society based upon what we have, and what we can sustain. Everyone having kids whenever they want them is not sustainable. Where does it end? At current growth rates, we will have a population of nearly 74 million people in 20 years time!
    What makes you say we can't sustain more people? Seems to me the world can probably sustain quite a few more people (and locally the UK can certainly cope with growth). The problem isn't the raw number of people, it is the number who demand to live lifestyles that are unsustainable

  3. #93

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,153
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    What makes you say we can't sustain more people? Seems to me the world can probably sustain quite a few more people (and locally the UK can certainly cope with growth). The problem isn't the raw number of people, it is the number who demand to live lifestyles that are unsustainable
    We can't sustain what we've got now! Unless we all stop using computers and cars, and move to a world where we don't eat meat and don't ship foods all around the world... Which is never going to happen.

    The developing world are all progressing towards the globalised model of consumerism and capitalism - which by its very nature is ravenous for resources, resources we simply don't have.

  4. #94

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,446
    Thank Post
    369
    Thanked 650 Times in 531 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    Remind me not to skip to the end of topics any more - it's gone from

    Quote Originally Posted by jtoland View Post
    TECHI FIXIT DAY
    YAY
    to

    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We can't sustain what we've got now! Unless we all stop using computers and cars, and move to a world where we don't eat meat and don't ship foods all around the world... Which is never going to happen.

    The developing world are all progressing towards the globalised model of consumerism and capitalism - which by its very nature is ravenous for resources, resources we simply don't have.

  5. Thanks to matt40k from:

    Epick (28th March 2014)

  6. #95


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,279
    Thank Post
    290
    Thanked 884 Times in 662 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We can't sustain what we've got now! Unless we all stop using computers and cars, and move to a world where we don't eat meat and don't ship foods all around the world... Which is never going to happen.

    The developing world are all progressing towards the globalised model of consumerism and capitalism - which by its very nature is ravenous for resources, resources we simply don't have.
    You seem to be agreeing it's about the way we use resources and not, as you initially suggested the number of people. The average USA'ian uses 200 times the energy of someone in Bangladesh. If we in the west halved our wasteful consumption, there would be plenty to go round.

    Of course I agree with you, us selfish westerners will never contemplate doing that. We will make sure we sup from the teat of excess and lay waste to the world for our descendants. There seems very little hope that we can change.

  7. #96


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,279
    Thank Post
    290
    Thanked 884 Times in 662 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Remind me not to skip to the end of topics any more - it's gone from
    Thread drift is an important aspect of forum culture. Celebrate it with an EduHobnob!

  8. #97

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,153
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    You seem to be agreeing it's about the way we use resources and not, as you initially suggested the number of people. The average USA'ian uses 200 times the energy of someone in Bangladesh. If we in the west halved our wasteful consumption, there would be plenty to go round.

    Of course I agree with you, us selfish westerners will never contemplate doing that. We will make sure we sup from the teat of excess and lay waste to the world for our descendants. There seems very little hope that we can change.
    Yup. I'm only arguing from within the system we live in right now. If we somehow manage to make the world a more equal place and stop everyone being obsessed with buying stuff, then what we can sustain will change dramatically. Its just that that is very unlikely. Unless we have some form of apocalypse...

  9. #98

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 512 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Thread drift is an important aspect of forum culture. Celebrate it with an EduHobnob!
    Quite. You come for the technical advice, but stay for the arguments.

  10. #99

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,153
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Quite. You come for the technical advice, but stay for the arguments.
    This isn't an argument...

  11. #100

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,470
    Thank Post
    631
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This isn't an argument...
    Give it time...

  12. #101

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 512 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This isn't an argument...
    yes it is.

    (Monty Python fans are smiling)

  13. 3 Thanks to jinnantonnixx:

    Ephelyon (28th March 2014), HallX (28th March 2014), LosOjos (28th March 2014)

  14. #102

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,216
    Thank Post
    1,455
    Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post

    he comment was made that taking a day off unpaid wasn't an option. If you can't get childcare, and you can't afford to take a day off to look after your child, how does that mean you can afford to take care of your children?
    .
    I meant that many companies will not allow a day off unpaid, not that people couldnt afford to do it.

  15. #103

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,153
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I meant that many companies will not allow a day off unpaid, not that people couldnt afford to do it.
    That's not what the law says. Between https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/your-rights and https://www.gov.uk/parental-leave/entitlement you should be covered. Plus this - http://www.thrings.com/site/news_eve...kes_jun11.html

  16. #104

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,216
    Thank Post
    1,455
    Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    "You must take parental leave as whole weeks (eg 1 week or 2 weeks) rather than individual days, unless your employer agrees otherwise" (they don't)
    "You can’t have time off if you knew about a situation beforehand" That rules out a strike then...
    "Parental leave is unpaid. The child must be under 5 (or 18 in special circumstances)." Which appears to be adoption or disability.

  17. #105

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,153
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Thing with a strike is, you don't have notice the school is closing beforehand - most schools only announce the closure on the day. If you do know the place is closing in the future, then you should therefore have enough time to arrange child-care...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 21st June 2013, 12:31 AM
  2. Things to do on strike days!
    By joe90bass in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16th July 2008, 04:48 PM
  3. pogo.com 5 day guest club pass
    By russdev in forum Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th August 2005, 08:07 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 3rd August 2005, 11:21 PM
  5. Happy Sys Admin Day
    By russdev in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29th July 2005, 05:37 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •