+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Strike Day in General; Closed to students here - upgraded 2 ICT suites to SSD drives already!...
    Thank Post
    Closed to students here - upgraded 2 ICT suites to SSD drives already!

Thank Post
    Noone is off, not one single teacher has gone on strike here. Just another boring Wednesday for us !

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Our head is seriously anti-strike anyway so almost no-one here strikes even when we are affected, as they know they'll be in for it.
    Pressuring people into not striking? Dangerous ground there.

4. 7 Thanks to sparkeh:

ButterflyMoon (26th March 2014), Garacesh (27th March 2014), LosOjos (26th March 2014), nephilim (27th March 2014), Novalee (27th March 2014), StevieM (26th March 2014), Tesla (26th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Pressuring people into not striking? Dangerous ground there.
    My thoughts too. Didn't want to say anything, but since you've taken the hit...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    My thoughts too. Didn't want to say anything, but since you've taken the hit...
    Don't mind, just the truth, and if the truth of the matter is as that post read, the Head is potentially storing up big trouble for him/herself.
    Plus its morally repugnant that someone is pressuring people not to exercise their right to withdraw their labour.

Thank Post
    Only year 11,12 and 13's in today. I took today to tidy the server room up and did some re-cabling, color coding all of the cabling. I took one room out of service at one time. I will do all of the servers during Easter.

Thank Post
    Years 7, 12 & 13 in here.

Pretty quiet day....unless you count the power cut which took out our main comms room and Pc's across the school!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    A non-event here, only two teachers are out.
    Same, Facebook is having a field day though with Teachers posting all day about how hard their job is etc etc etc (at previous job).

There are times when I want to at the end of the day post something but I am holding back.

10. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

michael2k6 (26th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I used to be in the NUT but I've switched to Voice now. I don't have a problem with people striking - done it myself before now - but if you do strike you MUST attend a rally/demonstration/picket whatever and not just use it as an extra day off.

Thank Post
    My major problem with the strike is that the NUT are playing the "poor teachers" card. Underpaid, overworked and not respected.

As a member of support staff in a school in the past I've also been underpaid, overworked and not even given token respect by teaching colleagues. If they think they have it bad, I wonder how they view TAs and the lower graded support staff?

I'm lucky in my current school. I am paid well and respected, but we've all worked in schools where teaching staff have considered us to be something they've stepped in.

13. 7 Thanks to Trapper:

ButterflyMoon (27th March 2014), Garacesh (27th March 2014), hardtailstar (27th March 2014), michael2k6 (26th March 2014), mthomas08 (26th March 2014), nephilim (27th March 2014), Norphy (27th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    My major problem with the strike is that the NUT are playing the "poor teachers" card. Underpaid, overworked and not respected.

As a member of support staff in a school in the past I've also been underpaid, overworked and not even given token respect by teaching colleagues. If they think they have it bad, I wonder how they view TAs and the lower graded support staff?

I'm lucky in my current school. I am paid well and respected, but we've all worked in schools where teaching staff have considered us to be something they've stepped in.
    I can't +1 this one enough, this really does sum up a lot and we all know it's true.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    I used to be in the NUT but I've switched to Voice now. I don't have a problem with people striking - done it myself before now - but if you do strike you MUST attend a rally/demonstration/picket whatever and not just use it as an extra day off.
    Definitely.
    I think that's what used to make strikes effective (that and the fact society cared about other people) but the fact that people were out on the pickets and making a public demonstration.. It gave people a chance to see how desperate these people were for $change (or at least how much support there was for it)

Now? It's 'a day off', and we can't have week-long destructive pickets like we used to because they're illegal (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong?) and since your strike days are unpaid, sure, you still have the right to withdraw your labour, but like hell can you do it for any decent period of time. Yes, the strike shows how much disruption would be caused if you all withdrew labour because of unsatisfactory conditions - but the government know it's just an inconvenience for a day. Tomorrow it will be back to normal, and no more than 1% of staff are actually going to permanently leave their jobs because of it, because finding new work isn't the simplest (especially if even 10% of the teachers walked out for good)

PLUS! Bonus! The general community always blame the strikers and not the government conducting they pay cuts/increased workload/lack of safety/$reasonForStrike that causes them to walk out in the first place.
    A lot of people see it as 'greedy teachers wanting more money' and, whilst I don't deny I'm sure some of them do it just for that reason, I know there will be genuine people struggling, especially the TA's or lower-in-the-hierarchy staff.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 27th March 2014 at 09:11 AM.

Thank Post
    A friend of mine on Facebook was saying because parents get fined for not having kids in school that the teachers should be fined.

I pointed out that the teachers wont get paid for striking.... His argument and opinions went very quiet from then

17. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

StevieM (27th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    A friend of mine on Facebook was saying because parents get fined for not having kids in school that the teachers should be fined.

I pointed out that the teachers wont get paid for striking.... His argument and opinions went very quiet from then
    Urgh, I hate this moronic argument.
    There are lots of reasons why this is a stupid thing to say, not least that its not the school/teaachers fining parents and the money doesn't actually go to the school.

19. Thanks to sparkeh from:

hardtailstar (27th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Urgh, I hate this moronic argument.
    There are lots of reasons why this is a stupid thing to say, not least that its not the school/teaachers fining parents and the money doesn't actually go to the school.
    so did I,

Its clear that the general public do not know the full facts!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast