+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Operation in General; We live in a bungalow but there are steps up from the car park, she managed steps just took it ...

Thank Post
    We live in a bungalow but there are steps up from the car park, she managed steps just took it slowly. I don't think you'll have too much of a problem doing stairs just be prepared for a bit of discomfort and take it slow, esp when you first get home after being knocked out, last thing you want to do is fall over.

Cannulas don't really hurt, well no worse than having a blood sample taken and I don't notice those anymore either, what hurts more is they use a large piece of sticky plastic to hold it on and if you have hairy hands it hurts when they whip it off (shave back of hands first maybe lol).

I would try to minimise any heavy lifting and if you have to to make sure all the weight is on your knees not back and abdomen.

FWIW the wife healed pretty quick and although it gave her some twinges still after a few days it was no more painful than if you'd fallen over and gotten some nasty bruising.

Definitely make sure they give you some painkillers to take home, you dont want to be in pain after hours and need to see out of hours GP to get some. 30mg of codeine should make you feel nice and warm without knocking you out, so 500/30 Solpadol or 30mg of dihydrocodeine is what you want to ask for if you get the chance. You may not need them but just in case.

Cannula is also used as a line in if anything happens, so they may still put one in even with gas and air don't know about that but just dont watch while they do it and it wont hurt so much, i've had about 20 of them in past 6 months from various hospital visits

Thank Post
    OK Im getting reasuredand a bit scared now lol.
    I know it has to be done so will have to go with whatever they do. Im running the Great North Run this year so need to it sorting.
    I have never had blood or anything taken. Only things I have had done is inoculations or the dentist.

Whats the eating like? where they allowed to eat the day before.

Thank Post
    A Cannula is much much less painful than injection at the dentist, they just look scary bits of kit so don't look and you'll be ok they really don't hurt. If you're really worried about the pain of a cannula they can always give you some Emla cream (think thats what it's called) that numbs the area, they might do that for you. I've had dozens of these now and I don't even flinch when they do em now.

You're allowed to eat and drink normally up until midnight the day before the op then absolutely nothing until after the op
    Last edited by Bananas; 25th March 2014 at 02:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post

You're allowed to eat and drink normally up until midnight the day before the op then absolutely nothing until after the op
    Phew I like my food

5. Thanks to MattDLEA from:

Bananas (25th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Cheers fokes,
    Banana can I ask whats your opinion on going up and downstairs? Also I have a little one she'll be 1 and half then I take it youd advise against lifting her and looking after her by myself in the days afterwards. Im assuming MESH too.

AM can you explain about the canula and the gas and air... So can i be put under before the canula?

Dom A few guys at my running club said they were back out having gentle jogs after two weeks. Hopefully this is the case.
    I have to disagree with @dom - I was very nervous and had the following three experiences:

1) Very nice Russian bloke, agreed to use a local anaesthetic before putting the canula in. Didn't feel a thing.

2) Horrible man who ignored me and used 'cold spray' REALLY hurt.

3) Nice lady who put me out using gas and air before putting the canula in. So yes, you CAN have the canula put in after the gas and air.

Don't let them push you around - there are options and if you are afraid they can do lots of things.

It's worth saying though that I've had issues having blood tests for years and have always used EMLA cream and the drawing of the blood has always been really painful - made my whole arm ache. I recently had to have a whole bunch of them (I might be going under again soon...) and CBA with the EMLA faff and the ache. I asked them to use the little yellow butterfly needles and didn't feel a thing (although I still fainted). I remember waiting for the ache and asking the nurse if the blood was flowing and she said 'beautifully'. I then said 'Oh, that doesn't hurt at all. It's really not so bad' then I fainted. LOL. To be fair, one of our local clinics has a dedicated phlebotomy team and you call up and book a slot. None of this going to Godzilla at the local GPs for us.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 25th March 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    @MattDLEA
    No, you do not have to have the canula first. I had an op two months ago and I had the face mask,and they put the canula in my hand after I was out.
    I just pointed out that as I am terrified of needles, they would have to practically hold me down with me thrashing and screaming if they wanted to do it before hand, and no, the "magic cream" they give you to numb your hand doesnt work.
    TBH they were quite happy to wait till I was under
    It was fine

Thank Post
    It didn't work in your experience I've had it before it's supposed to be applied then covered for at least 30 mins it's not instant. If you're scared of needles the cream ain't gonna help anyway.

Anyway point is its not painful unless your pain threshold is really low it's less painful than say stubbing your toe.

Not everywhere gives u the option of gas the wife wasn't.

It'll all be fine anyway they look terrifying but once it's in the needle part is taken out and all that's left is a plastic tube into a vein. The worst bit imho is pulling the plaster off taking it off lol.

When I was dehydrated in hospital it took them 8 goes to get one in I had holes everywhere just had to laugh

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    It didn't work in your experience I've had it before it's supposed to be applied then covered for at least 30 mins it's not instant. If you're scared of needles the cream ain't gonna help anyway.

Anyway point is its not painful unless your pain threshold is really low it's less painful than say stubbing your toe.

Not everywhere gives u the option of gas the wife wasn't.

It'll all be fine anyway they look terrifying but once it's in the needle part is taken out and all that's left is a plastic tube into a vein. The worst bit imho is pulling the plaster off taking it off lol.

When I was dehydrated in hospital it took them 8 goes to get one in I had holes everywhere just had to laugh
    Of course it is my opinion! Yes, I am very scared of needles and I hate the particular feeling of the needle going in - I would rather someone hit me with something to the same level of pain. I've had the cream many many times and never once has it helped - yes, it might help the OP but if he really is needle phobic he might do better than to look at alternatives.
    I never understand why they don't offer the mask - a friend of mine is an anaesthetist and he pointed out that they use the mask to keep you under during the op so it is no biggie to them to start off with it.

Thank Post
    When I had my operation 2 months ago, I had the canula put in my hand before I was given gas. The anaesthetist was really nice and was talking to me the whole time. He did have problems first time around, he tried to put it in the side of my wrist! Once canula was in, I was given gas as aswell as the general anaesthesia via the canula. I don't mind needles, so it didn't bother me. When I turned up at Guy's Hospital in the morning, I saw the anaesthetist and he talking about what he was going to do and made sure I was happy with it. Also talked about what dugs I was going to be given when I was under the GA as well as what I would be taking home with me.

I going having another operation probably in the next 4-6 weeks at a different hospital, hopefully the anaesthetist will be as nice.

When I had an operation back in 2002, I also had a good anaesthetist. He talked to me about what he was going to do and made sure I was happy.

Thank Post
    Blimey calm down I wasn't having a go and the op didn't say he's needle phobic he said he's never had it done I was trying to reassure him without adding anything else to worry about. it's not really painful, phobias aside of course.

I wasn't belittling your opinion sorry if it came across that way but not all drugs work on everyone and if you're that scared the adrenaline was probably countering it's affect or you were expecting the unpleasant experience so your brain filled in the gaps or it doesn't work on you for some reason.

Most dental anathestic don't work on me at all I have to have the old school stuff it's just the way we're all different. Something like 5% of the population don't have the ability to process codeine into morphine so those painkillers don't work on them

Horses for courses n all that glad you get on alright with the gas.

You'll be fine op if you're really worried about the cannula ask the anaesthetist about alternatives but barring needle phobias they're not painful really and once it's in its just a bit of plastic there's no needle left in

Thank Post
    When i had my eye operated on, it was an injection and the woman said 'Count to 10'. I only made it to three...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can ask for the mask to get put under...that's fun because the guy told me a joke and I cracked up...and it wasn't even funny...as for the hernia op...I've have 3, the last one was when I was 19. They put a wire mesh in to hold the muscles together. Healing time varies but you should be fine :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had more operations than I can count, due to my being a somewhat stupid child when it came to my personal safety.

They will definitely allow you to have gas before the canula.

My advice would be:

Make sure you have someone who can pick you up.
    Don't worry about it too much. For all the media waffle, our NHS is superb.
    Recovery from anaesthetic can take anything from a few hours to days. It really varies by person!
    Use the time off to rest and recuperate!

Thank Post
    Honestly having used EMLA (the numbing cream) a few times it doesn't actually help and makes things worse. It has a tendency to collapse the veins so they struggle to get the needles in right and it aches like you wouldn't believe. IMO you are actually better off without it and that is coming from someone who has literally screamed and thrashed and climbed the walls (funny story for another time). What I will say though is that they don't exactly give you a menu of 'how would you like to be knocked out', you actually have to ask which is why it's important to speak to the Anaesthetist and Surgeon, explain your fears and be very firm about expressing what you DO NOT consent to. I still wish I'd made a formal complaint about that rude man - he really hurt me and I was sobbing when I came to. If you expressly ask for the gas and expressly state that you do not want to be concious when they put the canula in I am sure they will accommodate you. If for no other reason than wanting to avoid law suits and complaints etc.

Also, bit of a gross tip but make sure you clean your bum - scrub it good and hard in the shower as they MAY tell you they will give you a painkiller suppository. Depends on the operation. When I had my wisdom teeth done I obviously couldn't eat or drink anything after the op for fear of disturbing the sockets so.... well you know what I mean. I remember being absolutely paranoid about people looking at my bum (sometimes you fixate on the weirdest things when you're frightened) so I went a bit crazy with the scented wet wipes (yeah irrational I know).

It is likely that you'll be really sleepy for a few days after the op - I really think a lot of it depends how long you're under. When I had my wisdom teeth done I would randomly fall asleep for days afterwards but when I had another abscess operated on it was quite a quick op so I was fine.

Thank Post
    If we are getting into the grossness, People at work said id be better off shaving the area myself as the hospitals use rubbish bic razors?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast