+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Are you a stereotypical geek? in General; Originally Posted by kaphc "I don't mean to sound condescending but if I gave you a set of IT instructions, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    "I don't mean to sound condescending but if I gave you a set of IT instructions, would you be able to follow them?"

Jesus [censored]ing Christ...

Also: devils advocate - Are you sure it was because you're female and not because, usually, the people from schools that phone AREN'T techy?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Also: devils advocate - Are you sure it was because you're female and not because, usually, the people from schools that phone AREN'T techy?
    Although I'm guessing @kaphc probably introduced herself with a description of the issue, which would have likely been better than "It dun't werk". That's all I need to give the impression of "They know more than the basics".
    Unless they're using the wrong terminology. Then they just sound silly.

Thank Post
    me geek never i just only play wow, swtor, ESO, warhammer, build gaminig rigs for lan games (just started design of new case),read/ collect manga (10k strong at the moment on insurence for it).
    other then the above i:
    paintball, swim, archary, use to urban climb. of and i have a pyro license for fireworks XD

- - - Updated - - -

me geek never i just only play wow, swtor, ESO, warhammer, build gaminig rigs for lan games (just started design of new case),read/ collect manga (10k strong at the moment on insurence for it).
    other then the above i:
    paintball, swim, archary, use to urban climb. of and i have a pyro license for fireworks XD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Although I'm guessing @kaphc probably introduced herself with a description of the issue, which would have likely been better than "It dun't werk". That's all I need to give the impression of "They know more than the basics".
    It might have been the calling from a school thing. It might have been cos I have a fairly good telephone manner (thought why should that be deemed unusual in techs? - surely that's something we should be able to do reasonably well?) I did open the call by explaining that the callibration seemed off because it was over to the left and not always responsive. All the support person needed to say was "What is your role in the school?" and I would have happily explained I was the ICT tech, and we could have got on with the job without any embarrassment.

Incidentally I seem to have scared the support person off as they couldn't fix the issue remotely and were supposed to call me back and arrange a site visit :-)

- - - Updated - - -

It might have been the calling from a school thing. It might have been cos I have a fairly good telephone manner (thought why should that be deemed unusual in techs? - surely that's something we should be able to do reasonably well?) I did open the call by explaining that the callibration seemed off because it was over to the left and not always responsive. All the support person needed to say was "What is your role in the school?" and I would have happily explained I was the ICT tech, and we could have got on with the job without any embarrassment.

Incidentally I seem to have scared the support person off as they couldn't fix the issue remotely and were supposed to call me back and arrange a site visit :-)

Thank Post
    I am a full blown geek I just don't look like one. In my spare time I'm normally gaming on my computer, I have around 300hrs spent on Rust at the moment. My other hobbies are watching TV, eating hobnobs, drinking tea and lounging around. On the odd occasion I will go out in town with my friends and the other half, I also go for trips down to Telford Shopping Center but it's normally in aid of something computer related.
    Though I don't tend to avoid social situations I do actually like interacting with people as much as possible especially at work and when I'm out, it's just an interest I don't understand why people think that anyone who works with computers is a head down, shy, unsociable person because that's never been me. In fact I'm quite the opposite computing is just a major interest of mine and always has been a bit like mechanics interest is cars.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a full blown geek I just don't look like one. In my spare time I'm normally gaming on my computer, I have around 300hrs spent on Rust at the moment. My other hobbies are watching TV, eating hobnobs, drinking tea and lounging around. On the odd occasion I will go out in town with my friends and the other half, I also go for trips down to Telford Shopping Center but it's normally in aid of something computer related.
    Though I don't tend to avoid social situations I do actually like interacting with people as much as possible especially at work and when I'm out, it's just an interest I don't understand why people think that anyone who works with computers is a head down, shy, unsociable person because that's never been me. In fact I'm quite the opposite computing is just a major interest of mine and always has been a bit like mechanics interest is cars.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    most i've played a game is probably the 191 hours i've spent on skyrim....

- - - Updated - - -

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post

- - - Updated - - -

pfft armature get Rust and join me, you'll soon be an addict!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

pfft armature get Rust and join me, you'll soon be an addict!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    generally dont have the tim enow to spend that much time on games... i have ff13-2 and ff lightning returns still unplayed, and ff13 still not completed....

- - - Updated - - -

generally dont have the tim enow to spend that much time on games... i have ff13-2 and ff lightning returns still unplayed, and ff13 still not completed....

Thank Post

- - - Updated - - -

Ah gutting! Well if you're ever in the mood to joing PM me and let me know

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Ah gutting! Well if you're ever in the mood to joing PM me and let me know

Thank Post
    Only this morning, I phoned a company up to log a support call and I got asked "I don't mean to sound condescending but if I gave you a set of IT instructions, would you be able to follow them?" My reply that I think I might cos I have a degree in IT & Computing and 20 years' experience working in IT so I think I might manage that elicited a nervous chuckle!

I am so not a "stereotypical" geek either, although my friends probably think I am!
    I don't get this often, but the few times this kind of stuff's happened it's been annoying as hell. I can never tell if it's because I'm young or a woman, though.

- After I got my job at 17, one of the teachers asked me to fix really obvious things as "tests". I thought he might just have been a bit thick for a bit until another teacher said "Oh yeah, he was testing you."

- External people can be really rude and condescending if they don't already know me. The RM guys are great on the phones for example, but we've had contractors from one company both ask me if I was the receptionist and then literally offer me a job and hand me their card in front of my manager twenty minutes later and then wink at me on their way out.

A visiting teacher from another school did once really embarrass me when she said she didn't think my clothes (cargo pants that day because I was crawling under desks managing cables with lots of tools in my pockets and dust everywhere) was appropriate for a teaching assistant. I was only there to make a cup of tea, leave me alone!

Thank Post
    That probably would have been a better way of handling it, yeah. Admittedly I didn't think of it though, so it's understandable they didn't. There's no way you can really phrase the question "Are you IT literate?" without sound a bit mean, though.. Maybe "Some of the things I'm going to have to ask you to do will require a bit of technical know-how, are you comfortable with that?" is the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I have around 300hrs spent on Rust at the moment.
    I stopped playing RUST after all the hackers. Did they ever fix that?

I was under the impression they stopped making good FF games after 9, and Lightning Returns is a 'grasping at straws' game. At least that's what my facebook friends say xD
    I didn't bother to finish 10 because it bored me so much, and I haven't picked up any FF game since.

Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    - After I got my job at 17, one of the teachers asked me to fix really obvious things as "tests". I thought he might just have been a bit thick for a bit until another teacher said "Oh yeah, he was testing you."
    Honestly I think I'd have complained about that. I'd have been really miffed off if a member of staff wasted my time like that.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 24th March 2014 at 02:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    "Oh sorry, did they not invite you to the panel for my interview? Oh no, of course not, because your opinion of me is irrelevant, you jumped up little t$%d."

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    • I used to play MtG.
    • I currently play loads of vidya gams.
    • I read a large amount of comics. [Marvel, DC, Indie and webcomics.]
    • I mess about with various OSs, both professionally and recreationally.
    • I like Sci-Fi shows, though I haven't watched Firefly.
    • And I watch a lot of original content on the internet... usually about geeky things. [Extra Credits, The Escapist, PBS Idea Channel]

Pretty geeky in my opinion.
    You forgot Pony.

As for me, I fit well into the stereotype.

- Probably too good at video games.
    - Star Trek on my Amazon Watchlist.
    - Tabletop wargaming, ex-WH40k and now playing Malifaux.
    - Specs.
    - Single... (oh noes stereotype).
    - Installed Linux "out of boredom."
    - And I used to have an OC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I was under the impression they stopped making good FF games after 9, and Lightning Returns is a 'grasping at straws' game. At least that's what my facebook friends say xD
    I didn't bother to finish 10 because it bored me so much, and I haven't picked up any FF game since.
    I have 7 8 and 9 in the ps store, only ever completed 7 though...

- - - Updated - - -

I have 7 8 and 9 in the ps store, only ever completed 7 though...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FFXV looks pretty cool.

It has Kingdom Hearts style combat... though that was slightly annoying. You have to stop moving to use battle menus. I died so much because of that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234