+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Working conditions in General; I would like to get an idea of how other technical support teams operate, specifically how the offices look. I'm ...

Thank Post

Working conditions

I would like to get an idea of how other technical support teams operate, specifically how the offices look.
    I'm of the opinion that as a technical support team that we shouldn't be expected to always be clean and tidy.

I would appreciate it if you woukd share your office / server room photos in response to this so I can show my line manager.

I couldn't work in the stereotypical IT crowd environment admittedly but I think it would be a good exercise to see how others works.

I look forward to your replies

Thank Post
    Thankfully, we're pretty much left to it. I would truly love (and have sometimes had) a tidy office free of junk and crud.

Sadly, ours is currently full of ongoing projects, waste toner and ink, broken parts, antique electrical equipment, cardboard, spare monitors, and a potted plant.

Hoping that I can do something about it in Summer!

Thank Post
    My old desk had on avarage 5 laptops stacked up, tapes, a couple of network devices, door cards, diblert cuttings, ram, pvdms, lan cables, knife, spare cat 5 plugs, 3 IP Phones , dead lcd panels, pads, postits, scraps of paper , broken cables, and my keyboard , mouse, PC and 2 monitors.

My new desk starts and ends the day with a keybaord, phone, 2 mice ( mine and a random work one ) and 2 monitors.

I prefer the latter!

Rob

Thank Post
    Our office used to be full of crud, now it's kept clear and tidy. Best thing we did was to change our electrical recycling company as they have provided us with a big container with wheels that sits in the corner of our office and any broken/old junk just gets chucked straight in there. When full they come and swap it with an empty one. It certainly stops junk being dumped all round our office.
    We also had a good clear out of all the leads etc, I mean who really needs a box full of over 100 dvi cables!
    Our office is lovely now, desks are clear, no junk to trip over, it's just a much nicer environment and looks more professional. We gets load of comments from staff about how much better it looks.
    So, I'm with your boss on this one, sorry!

Thank Post
    Oh no, I agree my office is clean and tidy and that's how I like it. It's just purely coincidence that when they walk in its a full of those pcs that you have just taken out of storage to get some spare parts.

Iv seen some offices that are very very untidy, and I think if only they could see this.

I could do with one of those storage units though, what company is that.

I would say that 95% of the time it's very tidy, and staff so say it's tidy. I think th e year just surprised as 3 men in th e or twenties are so tidy. I think the point I'm trying to make is that we can't be tidy all the time. We are a tech support team after all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Best thing we did was to change our electrical recycling company as they have provided us with a big container with wheels that sits in the corner of our office and any broken/old junk just gets chucked straight in there. When full they come and swap it with an empty one.
    Who do you use and Cost PLEASE

Thank Post
    We use Enviro Electronics - FREE IT Disposal Service Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, North linconshire, Grimsby, Leeds, and they do not charge us anything. We are about 30 miles away from them, I don't know if they offer the container service nationally. They also log the disposal on a secure portal on their website, plus log destruction of hard drives on there.

8. Thanks to teejay from:

speckytecky (21st March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a great company. Pity they don't expand to a National coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    We use Enviro Electronics - FREE IT Disposal Service Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, North linconshire, Grimsby, Leeds, and they do not charge us anything. We are about 30 miles away from them, I don't know if they offer the container service nationally. They also log the disposal on a secure portal on their website, plus log destruction of hard drives on there.

Thank Post
    Would it be possible to upload photos

Thank Post
    These might not help much as I tidied the office yesterday afternoon! Usually that workbench is full of junk though. No matter how tidy you are, it's very difficult to keep an IT office tidy. Especially when working on major projects. Unboxing new kit is the worst culprit for filling our office with rubbish!

http://www.mascalls.kent.sch.uk/phot...ce/office1.jpg
    http://www.mascalls.kent.sch.uk/phot...ce/office2.jpg
    http://www.mascalls.kent.sch.uk/phot...ce/office3.jpg

Thank Post
    We did used to live in a bit of a broom cupboard, but were given new office space about 18 months ago. We now have an office (former IT Suite) and a Storeroom/workshop (also a former IT Suite). As a result, the office is relatively tidy most of the time, but the storeroom/workshop is where we shove the rubbish :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell1981 View Post
    These might not help much as I tidied the office yesterday afternoon! Usually that workbench is full of junk though. No matter how tidy you are, it's very difficult to keep an IT office tidy. Especially when working on major projects. Unboxing new kit is the worst culprit for filling our office with rubbish!

http://www.mascalls.kent.sch.uk/phot...ce/office1.jpg
    http://www.mascalls.kent.sch.uk/phot...ce/office2.jpg
    http://www.mascalls.kent.sch.uk/phot...ce/office3.jpg
    Does the school pay to restock the awesome coffee machine?

Thank Post
    Like to call our office a "Work shop" - as usually PCs, laptops all over!

Thank Post
    I share an office with the Bursar,

My desk and work space is tidy but I do have cupboards around the school full of random junk.

Thank Post
    Working conditions-imag0638.jpg

Our office has been like this for a week now!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast