+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The spring Budget in General; Its just about to be announced, what's peoples hopes and reaction? I'm personally hoping they raise the level of the ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The spring Budget

Its just about to be announced, what's peoples hopes and reaction?

I'm personally hoping they raise the level of the tax free allowance again which benefits most people.

I'd like to see the ISA rates increased as well.

I think the single persons discount for council tax should be abolished as its wide open to abuse.

I also hope they keep the top rate at 45% even if its one of the highest in the world! Its a good compromise for the rich/poor thing that Labour and the Tories keep arguing over.
    Last edited by zag; 19th March 2014 at 12:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    tax free allowance to raise
    cigarettes to raise by 1-2p per pack
    alcohol to raise by 1-2p per pint

I would LOVE to see a corn syrup tax, because it is used in so many foods and drinks now that it should be taxed, and its got health risks attached, so why not tax it.

Would love to see ISA rates go up also.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We get screwed over to feather the nests of the powerful. That is what will happen, however it is dressed up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Single person discount definitely shouldn't be abolished at all! Why should I pay the same council tax as a family? I use less of the resources and services of the council! If anything, it should be a 50% discount.

They'll likely change the tax allowance again.

They're unlikely to hit drivers with more fuel duty, I'd guess.

I'd hit smokers again though - add a few more pence to their habit, discourage them from smoking. I'd also likely start adding costs to e-cigs too to be honest (well, those with nicotine in anyway).

To be honest, the only thing I really want, which they can't and won't do, is call an early election and get rid of the Tories...

5. 6 Thanks to localzuk:

Bananas (19th March 2014), BKGarry (19th March 2014), ButterflyMoon (19th March 2014), Graham-Millgate (19th March 2014), hardtailstar (20th March 2014), InterwebsGuy (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, cigarettes pay for a large majority of the NHS, stop smokers and you have more people in old age using NHS services costing more!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    alcohol to raise by 1-2p per pint.
    No just no!

Its already gone up too much!

Thank Post
    I think the single persons discount for council tax should be abolished as its wide open to abuse.

I also hope they keep the top rate at 45% even if its one of the highest in the world! Its a good compromise for the rich/poor thing that Labour and the Tories keep arguing over.
    any system is open to abuse but why should i pay as much council tax as a house thats got 8 people in it?

im not sure the top rate of tax matters that much as anyone in that tax bracket can afford to pay people to find loopholes so they dont pay it anyway

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but the alcohol needs to go up. More people are complaining about the costs of alcohol, but the fact is, people binge on alcohol, costing NHS, and emergency services millions every weekend to make sure people dont get harmed or help people that have been harmed. Raising the cost of alcohol will help stop it. 1-2p per pint may not sound like much, but if you consider an average bar on a Friday night goes through close to 1000 pints per tap, it is an extra 10-20 per Friday. Now lets say there are on average 500 bars in a town, this is an extra 5000-10000 per town used for emergency services.

It helps cover the cost that binge drinkers cause!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    To be honest, the only thing I really want, which they can't and won't do, is call an early election and get rid of the Tories...
    I'd be far more worried about a budget with Labour in charge! They have a habit of raising taxes, (which to be fair is sometimes needed) but I would much rather see tax cuts and the economy do well.

It does make me wonder what would happen with a Lib Dem/labour coalition.

Thank Post
    I would much rather see tax cuts and the economy do well.
    Sure, we would all like that, but do you really see it as "cause and effect"? If the Govt were to spend money (locally) THAT might kick start a recovery.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The cycle of governments is like this - Labour, Spending and Debts increases. Conserv, Spending and Debts decrease.

Why not balance the books, then start paying off debts we owe to other countries?

Thank Post
    Sorry, but the alcohol needs to go up. More people are complaining about the costs of alcohol, but the fact is, people binge on alcohol, costing NHS, and emergency services millions every weekend to make sure people dont get harmed or help people that have been harmed. Raising the cost of alcohol will help stop it. 1-2p per pint may not sound like much, but if you consider an average bar on a Friday night goes through close to 1000 pints per tap, it is an extra 10-20 per Friday. Now lets say there are on average 500 bars in a town, this is an extra 5000-10000 per town used for emergency services.

But this doesn't solve the problem it just help create money to help to mop it up.

Thank Post

whilst I agree that binge drinkers cause the NHS millions but its the cheap bottles and shots bars and clubs are offering that cause problems. yes pints are drunk too by binge drinkers but it should be the cheap shots and bottles that are increased and not pints.

Thank Post
    I would much rather see tax cuts and the economy do well.
    A bit of a negative post coming up, but I do think that it's only a matter of time before the whole thing collapses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    True, but the only way to solve the problem for binging is putting it up by 1-5 per bottle/pint.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast