+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The spring Budget in General; Originally Posted by hardtailstar whilst I agree that binge drinkers cause the NHS millions but its the cheap bottles and ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    whilst I agree that binge drinkers cause the NHS millions but its the cheap bottles and shots bars and clubs are offering that cause problems. yes pints are drunk too by binge drinkers but it should be the cheap shots and bottles that are increased and not pints.
    Alco-pops and all that neon, fruit-flavored stuff that appeals more to younger, underage drinkers is the stuff that should be hit hard, I think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    True, but the only way to solve the problem for binging is putting it up by £1-5 per bottle/pint.
    Not necessarily why not charge the drunk for wasting police/NHS time? That way those of us who enjoy drinking in moderation dont have to pay for those who cant.

3. 5 Thanks to JJonas:

hardtailstar (19th March 2014), john (20th March 2014), LosOjos (19th March 2014), mole (19th March 2014), TomDrummer (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but the alcohol needs to go up. More people are complaining about the costs of alcohol, but the fact is, people binge on alcohol, costing NHS, and emergency services millions every weekend to make sure people dont get harmed or help people that have been harmed. Raising the cost of alcohol will help stop it. 1-2p per pint may not sound like much, but if you consider an average bar on a Friday night goes through close to 1000 pints per tap, it is an extra £10-£20 per Friday. Now lets say there are on average 500 bars in a town, this is an extra £5000-£10000 per town used for emergency services.

It helps cover the cost that binge drinkers cause!
    Whilst I agree with your sentiment. I don't agree with having to pay for idiots getting drunk.

Can we not educate the idiots? It's got to be a better long term solution. I'm all for teaching people that there's a better way, especially if it saves me money, I don't buy alcohol often, mainly because i'm not paid enough! So i'd rather not have to go without a little more often just so we can pump the stomachs of morons and patch up those getting into fights.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomDrummer View Post
    Alco-pops and all that neon, fruit-flavored stuff that appeals more to younger, underage drinkers is the stuff that should be hit hard, I think.
    that and proper education in schools!

6. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

TomDrummer (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Can we not educate the idiots?
    The problem is, they'll only learn if they want to, and their frequent binging and stomach pumping escapades suggest they may enjoy what they do ><

Thank Post
    True, but the only way to solve the problem for binging is putting it up by £1-5 per bottle/pint.
    Interesting. Nothing to do with education, health awareness and trying to get the media to de-glamourise lad-culture (ladette-culture?) then?

Perhaps bars and pubs should actually be made to enforce the law by which they're not allowed to serve alcohol to someone who is intoxicated?

9. 2 Thanks to pantscat:

mole (19th March 2014), TomDrummer (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Interesting. Nothing to do with education, health awareness and trying to get the media to de-glamourise lad-culture (ladette-culture?) then?

Perhaps bars and pubs should actually be made to enforce the law by which they're not allowed to serve alcohol to someone who is intoxicated?
    Pubs and clubs that do enforce that law, tend to close within 1 year due to lost business. Education on alcohol, people will only learn if they have an interest to learn on it.

Thank Post
    I have no real hopes for this budget, it's being produced by someone so detached from how the rest of us live that he has no idea what his policies do to us. Same with most of them in all the other departments too the old Eton chums never done a hard days work in their lives and never got a job without family stepping in (yes im looking at you Cameron) and that's across all the parties not just Tory bashing.

I'd like them to scrap the social housing rent escalator as each year the rent goes up by RPI + 0.5% + £2 per week which isn't great for those that pay their rent but the other year when inflation was at 5% we got slapped silly and bearing in mind how many people in social housing are claiming housing benefit it's just a scheme for them to hammer the government for more money, cap it to 1% until the economy recovers same as my wage rises are capped to 1%

Any tax cuts are just going to be a sweetener for the upcoming election trying to bribe their way back in. How many promises were broken this time?

No plans to increase VAT
    No intention of shutting Surestart centres

There's a lot of them, that's if you can find them after Camerons little "tidy up" on their website LOL.

Anyway I shall stop there before I need to drag the soapbox out. I'll be voting Labour next time round, not because they're the answer but because they're the only party with a chance of keeping the damn tories out.

Thank Post
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you @nephilim, but I've observed very different attitudes to alcohol/binge-drinking in different places and I don't think that just making a drink unaffordable will solve the problem. I can only think that would lead to either a black market trade in imported drinks, perhaps cause more people to take up recreational drugs, or possibly worse - dodgy home-brewed moonshine with anti-freeze in it. (I'm being facetious about anti-freeze, but you get the point).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomDrummer View Post
    The problem is, they'll only learn if they want to, and their frequent binging and stomach pumping escapades suggest they may enjoy what they do ><
    Then we need a creative solution

Pubs and clubs that do enforce that law, tend to close within 1 year due to lost business. Education on alcohol, people will only learn if they have an interest to learn on it.
    Not always true. Pubs and clubs stay open because they're a good night out regardless of the alcohol sales. I've worked with several bars that didn't do the best behind the bar all the time, but put on such good nights that they absolutely killed on the door take. I've also worked for others that put on piles of cheap offers for 'happy hours' only to close because nobody would come at any other time.

@JJonas simple solution, start charging repeat offenders for their medical care. We all have a medical record, it'd be easy to see if people ended up in hospital due to excessive drinking more than a couple of times in a year. Saddle them with a bill and see what happens.
    Last edited by ICTDirect_Dave; 19th March 2014 at 01:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Dave's simple solution, start charging repeat offenders for their medical care. We all have a medical record, it'd be easy to see if people ended up in hospital due to excessive drinking more than a couple of times in a year. Saddle them with a bill and see what happens.
    I thought that was my solution?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    It was! Hadn't read your post when i was replying to Neph's Edited my post
    Last edited by ICTDirect_Dave; 19th March 2014 at 01:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Either way, it's a reasonable solution. Although morally speaking what do we do when someone has a "problem" and can't afford to pay? It's a minefield having a "civilised" society!

Thank Post
    Tax on sugar and its content on foods I would very much welcome, Its pretty much everywhere with everything these days and alarming, more alarming again what companies do with lobbying to prevent legislations going through.

I would like to see a £1 at least added in tax on things like chewing gum to fund cleaning of streets better too, where I live the pavements need blasting big time.

I would also like to see things like Council Tax having optional elements to them allowing you to opt out of services that you dont use ! thats not going to happen ever though in reality.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow...taking under 21s out of the tax bracket regardless of earnings...that's brave! Some bankers at 21 pull in 6 figure salaries!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast