+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Tablet Schools in General; Previously replied to post else where xx...

Thank Post
    Previously replied to post else where xx
    Last edited by jemm; 23rd May 2014 at 11:34 AM.

Thank Post
    I have replied to someone else in this link of conversation.

Have you not looked at the tablet Device schemes available?

I currently work with a large number of schools, implementing various Schemes, using a range of devices.

If you want a chat I would be happy to pop out and go through it.

Most schools are now looking at this way forward saves budget, integrates one to one learning and is full managed.

Jemma x

Thank Post
    We've firmly decided against 1:1 but we're a sixth form and my view is we are to provide them with access to resources (Moodle, E-mail) on whatever device they want to provide themselves and not dictate purchasing a specific product or brand. I worry a lot of places forcing 1:1 may come unstuck in the coming years.

We do offer all teaching staff a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10 inch running Android for taking registers, parents evenings, keeping themselves organised, anything fun (they are encouraged to take on holiday, play games etc, whatever gets them confident using the device) and this September for the first time enrollment. Some support staff have them for other, specific uses. All of resources are online and viewed through a web browser (Moodle, MIS, eStream, OWA)

Meraki MDM is excellent. The devices work well with our Lightspeed web filter (no proxy, in-line filtering) and I'm just testing eduroam with 802.1x auth which passes details onto Lightspeed and is all working fairly well.

I've been trying the App MirrorOp to sync display to a PC and projector which is working OK and we recommend staff set PIN's and 60 second screen lock. Also "Lockwatch" which is fun and takes a photo of anyone failing to enter the correct pin

I'm in the South-East here, near Crawley/Gatwick area if you're interested! But we don't do the trolly/class sets type of approach

Thank Post
    Personally, I'd look very hard at ChromeBooks as an alternative to Tablets, certainly for students. Do be aware that the nominal vendor price will need to have 19 added to cover the Google management software licence, so you can have the multiple user login thing you need, etc., and that all users need a "complex" password. A good solution as a PC/laptop replacement rather than the sexy "look ma, I've got one of them" side of tablets.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Loads of schools we work with use Android, and Learnpads which are on the Android platform.
    Its hard to see why Apple tablets cost so much in comparison until you use them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cablers_JonPaul View Post
    Loads of schools we work with use Android, and Learnpads which are on the Android platform.
    Its hard to see why Apple tablets cost so much in comparison until you use them.

Then you know that all the insane hassle of ipads is not worth it, its like herding cats :-S

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilbert View Post
    Personally, I'd look very hard at ChromeBooks as an alternative to Tablets, certainly for students. Do be aware that the nominal vendor price will need to have 19 added to cover the Google management software licence, so you can have the multiple user login thing you need, etc., and that all users need a "complex" password. A good solution as a PC/laptop replacement rather than the sexy "look ma, I've got one of them" side of tablets.
    One of my projects (when its gone ahead) will be dealing with a Chrome setup for another site. They have limited budget and simply want it to work, when he has given me the go I will order one and see how it all works. As for your look ma - quality made me chuckle.
    There is this false accusation that if you use comments like that your simply being pro M$ yet as you have said (and my self in other posts) just because your not accepting Apple/Tablets doesn't mean there are alternative solutions to the problem. Which usually is internet access device + basic office usage.

Although I am no fan of the Google Apps on Tablets other then Drive because the docs/spreadsheet/power point Apps by Google still need a ton of functions. You don't realise what you are missing till you sit there and use it. Luckily for us though it does cover the very basics so most of our Year 7-9 work should be fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Then you know that all the insane hassle of ipads is not worth it, its like herding cats :-S
    We have got quite good at herding cats. (I do love the analogy and i am going to nick it for future use.)
    We wont ever tell a school what they should choose to use in the classroom, its normally decided by the time we get the phone call. I have had lots of calls that start with "We have bought 30/60/100 iPads how do we get them on the network?" You cant tell a head they are wrong for choosing Apple over Windows or Android.
    Whatever route a school goes down a solution needs to be facilitated which incorporate those chosen devices onto the network so that they can extract the most from them and then they are able to use them in the classroom the way they want to. Your always trying to make sure that the end users are happy with the results but occasionally compromises need to be made. These compromises are normally left to be managed by the IT guru. You shouldn't expect teachers and students to make them. Some platforms require more work on the part of the IT department or support staff. Its not always easy but some things are worth making the effort over. Its wrong to expect a school to use a device that's not so good but its easier to manage.

Most heads and teachers i know are like myself and own Apple devices for their own use. I couldn't hold my hand up and say that my iPad is not the best tablet that i have used or that i don't like IOS better than Android etc and that the Apps Store is better than Google Play etc. If a head feels the same about their iPad why wouldn't they want what they then perceive to be the best for their students.

I would also be telling fibs if i didn't say Apple products didn't need more work to be integrated on the network and managed correctly.

Schools must plan and budget for infrastructure along with device management and not just shiny tablets and other mobile devices.

I didn't mean for this to sound like a cheer leading post for Apple, as Ive said in a previous post i know lots of schools that are using Android tablets that are integrated on the network and they are really pleased with them. Its horses for courses and budgets always play a massive part in choosing the route a school goes down.
    Its just my opinion but you should buy the best that you can afford at the time and the device should be chosen on how it delivers at the sharp end in the classroom and on the availability of useful and trusted apps. Device management is important but defiantly lower down the list. Its always hard weighing this all up within budget.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In most of my schools they are using windows 8.1 hybrid tablets which can do everything a laptop can do, stuff a tablet can do and also use flash. To be fair we don't use many metro apps as these are impossible to manage but the tablets are still really useful and integrate in a snap.

iPads have snuck in at one school due to an Appelite who held high esteem on the PTA and got them brought, they have been no end of hassle, rubbish wireless - in comparison - and a never-ending battle with Apples filthy products and departments to keep the whole mess running for more than a week or so at a time before the VPP token/service gives out, Aplple profile manager goes nuts or the OSX server decides to corrupt the MDM profiles. Apples VPP support is non-existant, it took a month to get a reply by which stage we had fixed it another way. Apple themselves are rubbish to even get the VPP stuff through, that took another month with Apple NZ to set up an account let alone having to scan in a order form for their 'all digital' purchasing. I can't say I have dealt with many things worse than iPads or less reliable than Apple Servers iPad management. The one exception would be a Chinese IWB manufacturer who yelled at their local vendor for putting English speaking people on to them asking about their shocking software - XP ONLY drivers in the Win 7 era - and were equally inpolite to us.

Back on topic Another school I have dealt with did get a stack of android tablets but literally just hired someone to manage them and monitor their use at a low rate of pay, not sure exactly how that worked out for them but I did note that they were all in a box in one room to be stolen about a month later so I'm guessing maybe not so well. I'm sure they are manageable with the right tools and for stuff like ebook readers I have recommended them. Universality wise I do go back to the little Atom W8 tablets though. I find mine infinitely more powerful, useful and versatile than an iPad along with better battery life, lighter weight and more responsive touch screen. All from a device that costs less than a lesser speced iPad.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 28th May 2014 at 12:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I cant disagree that the service for Apple education customers in the UK can be problematic sometimes, they have a far more joined up approach in the US and seem to look after their education customers much better on that side of the pond. Unfortunately many of the buying decisions have been made long before we turn up to to make them all work. We deal with the hand which we a dealt at each school on an individual basis.

What the hell are you buying Chinese IWB's for? I agree that you can alawys get a better speced tablet/desktop/laptop for your money than any Apple offering but heads & SLT's are not always buying into specs when they choose Apple products, they are signing up to the kudos and image that brand portrays.

Most don't think like techies.

I will probably replace my old worn out i5 tosh with a surface 3 if i can stretch to it but i wont be chopping in my iPhone or iPad mini anytime soon either. As a personal device they take some beating for an easy trouble free user experience. They just work well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12