+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Survival in General; If this was a freak solar flare and boom, all electrics failed, even steam trains wouldn't be an option because ...

Thank Post
    If this was a freak solar flare and boom, all electrics failed, even steam trains wouldn't be an option because tracks would be littered here-and-there with trains that had stopped. So that's not possible.
    Cars are no good because they don't work anymore.
    We don't tend to have many mounted divisions anymore, so only a few horses are available.
    We don't (to my knowledge) have a stock of carrier pigeons anymore. Probably still have some, I know hobbyists train them still, but overall not a lot to cover the mass communication we need.

Leaving just one option: Courier/Snail Mail

Until Martial Law was in place, would the postmen even be working? (Given that everything's going to Hell in a handbasket, I probably wouldn't show up for work, either!) so it would be government mandated couriers on bicycles. Even then, there's still only so much ground that can be covered. It would take weeks to re-establish proper communications.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Kinda, you've usually got a peg leg and at least a parrot.. just a hat this time. You're slipping.
    You saw X-13 with just a hat on, doing his/her/it's/Squlee's pirate thing? Pics or it never happened...

There's a lot of ideas of how we'd react to it on this thread, but if anyone's seen Jericho - that's a very scary reality of how things would happen on a town-sized scale. Looting and how to combat it, fuel supplies, gathering supplies and distribution, effects of EMP-waves/nuclear dispersal, survivors from nearby towns flocking, getting back to planting seeds and harvesting crops, etc. It's also been used as a guide by several pointy-head types as a near-accurate guide on what would happen and how to survive it.

There was a short-lived TV series by Chris Ryan a few years back (Back when he was the in-thing with Ultimate Force, and his survival shows) which covered "disasters" and there was one that focused on a typical street during a pro-longer power failure, which turned out to be an EMP.

Basically they rolled cars onto the ends of the streets to form a baracade to slow down looters, sealed houses up and fortified them using interior doors and shelving, moved the elderly/ill/infirm into more populated houses to prevent them being killed off by looters, used the fresh meats/supplies, formed patrols day and night to stop looters - it was a pretty good insight into how things may go down...

That being said - I'm stealing a boat and attacking humanitarian relief convoys at sea...
    Last edited by happymeal; 18th March 2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Amended to include the many forms of X-13...

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    If this was a freak solar flare and boom, all electrics failed, even steam trains wouldn't be an option because tracks would be littered here-and-there with trains that had stopped. So that's not possible.
    We don't tend to have many mounted divisions anymore, so only a few horses are available.
    We don't (to my knowledge) have a stock of carrier pigeons anymore. Probably still have some, I know hobbyists train them still, but overall not a lot to cover the mass communication we need.

Until Martial Law was in place, would the postmen even be working? (Given that everything's going to Hell in a handbasket, I probably wouldn't show up for work, either!) so it would be government mandated couriers on bicycles. Even then, there's still only so much ground that can be covered. It would take weeks to re-establish proper communications.
    Easily possible. Government would seize the heritage rail industry assets which is connected to the mainline and use them with old signalling techniques to clear the priority routes. I dare say some of the trained steam drivers would relish in the irony of the old beasts being used on the mainline once more.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 818 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happymeal View Post
    You saw X-13 with just a hat on, doing her pirate thing? Pics or it never happened...
    You're going to be VERY disappointed by the pictures....

5. 5 Thanks to Domino:

DMcGuigan (18th March 2014), Greenbeast (18th March 2014), ICTDirect_Dave (18th March 2014), Neil-Millgate (18th March 2014), Oaktech (18th March 2014)

Thank Post
    If anyone wants to see what happens when a world super-power falls though, have a read of John Birmingham's Without Warning. It's a very good (fictional) read of what happened when the bulk of America just "vanishes" on the eve of the Iraqi war - both on a local/domestic scale with looting, continunity of government, and so on, as well as an international look at things when there's no longer a deterrent to prevent countries from settling scores with each other.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Steam trains are amazingly strong. They would easily be able to pull the dead electric trains out of the way into sidings etc... Its what they did when the electric ones got stuck during snow a few years ago.

Not all cars.

We do have bicycles though. Lots of them.

There's a heck of a lot of carrier pigeons and the like in private hands in the country - they could be confiscated.

Nope. Mail wouldn't be running - until things had settled enough for someone to start it up again.

Running a new telegraph system wouldn't take all that long. We have cables all over the place already.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For a start, not all electronics would be ruined. Generators could be fixed really really easily, and well shielded devices would be fine.

Oh and as a species we're clever, very clever, we made all this before. Honestly, i reckon people would be using radio connumication with radios they'd knocked together within a few hours. Power generation is incredibly simple, on a local level at least (plus the gridlines will still be fine, so we'd get those back soon after).

Purely mechanical things that require an electronic charge to start would be running again within a couple of days. So some older cars back on the road.

within a few months we'd be well on our way to normalcy (with the exception of the economy, that'd be shot) but that's not a problem, because money, in a situation like this would be worthless anyhow so we'd just get on and get sorted and worry about everything else later.

Yes, there would be some local disorder, but not a whole lot and certainly not a nationwide movement (there's only so many idiots).

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=nephilim;1144946]Ok, I am a member of a few forums, and this topic has come up a lot recently. If there was a global EMP (such as the style of the TV show Revolution), how would you cope and what would you do?[/QUOTE

I'd turn feral.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    remote Scottish island,
    Nah, head south. Less fuel required in the first winter, better growing conditions over all.

I'd start with one of the forts in the Solent, and expand to the Isle of Wight when conditions permitted. ie, when all the war-like ones had killed themselves off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I'd start with one of the forts in the Solent
    Looks like Fort Boyard.

Thank Post
    Do a Day of the Triffids and head to the Isle of Wight.

Thank Post
    NEVER touch the isle of wight!, its boring and shrinking and no large game to hunt unless its cannibalism your into:S
    il keep my local view of it quiet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Blog Entries
    to be fair, for game to hunt you are better off near streams, rivers and lakes, as that is where they'll likely congregate for drinking. As for types of game, well within 5 miles of my house, we have muntjac deer, red deer, roe deer, and fallow deer. Also have pheasant, guinea fowl, partridge, wild pigeon, ducks, geese...so not bad for animals for hunting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've got plenty of cows you know. You could just walk up to them too. I'll go for that

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    We've got plenty of cows you know. You could just walk up to them too. I'll go for that
    Everyone knows cows explode when hit by an EMP...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast