+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Survival in General; True the scouts do not teach survival training as such, but they do teach skills which would be helpful, knots, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    True the scouts do not teach survival training as such, but they do teach skills which would be helpful, knots, fires, shelters etc. It gives a solid foundation to build on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    True the scouts do not teach survival training as such, but they do teach skills which would be helpful, knots, fires, shelters etc. It gives a solid foundation to build on.
    Yeah but my point is, that's All you need. There's no need to learn much more, unless it's a hobby or you're going into dangerous remote places on a regular basis.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    An edugeek camping and Fishing trip and @nephilim or any one else can teach us these skills.... I'd be interested as long as it wasn't too far away

4. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Garacesh (17th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Too bad, it will be in the harshest part of the highlands during the middle of winter!

Thank Post
    Too bad, it will be in the harshest part of the highlands during the middle of winter!
    The Black Cuillin on Skye is good, I did a nice long walk there a few years ago over a new year... The softer option would be Glen Feshie.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    I've just got a picture in my head of @X-13 on a tiny little boat shouting at people from the middle of a pond..
    So a standard Saturday night?

8. Thanks to X-13 from:

Garacesh (17th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Too bad as I was hoping for antarctica or one of the poles in the middle of winter

Thank Post
    Having been on survival training on both the Brecon Beacons and Dartmoor I know that creating a snug bivouac is not that difficult The trick is finding enough to eat. For tribes that still rely on a degree of hunter/gathering it is normal for the men to go off hunting, whilst the women gather berries, nuts and whatever else you can gather. No prizes for guessing which sex contributes most towards the pantry?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    So a standard Saturday night?
    Kinda, you've usually got a peg leg and at least a parrot.. just a hat this time. You're slipping.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Having been on survival training on both the Brecon Beacons and Dartmoor I know that creating a snug bivouac is not that difficult The trick is finding enough to eat. For tribes that still rely on a degree of hunter/gathering it is normal for the men to go off hunting, whilst the women gather berries, nuts and whatever else you can gather. No prizes for guessing which sex contributes most towards the pantry?
    Building shelter? Hunting Berries? Would lack of electricity really return us to the stone age? We survived quite well without it uptil what, the latter part of the 19th century. It's only been the past 100 years we've been totally reliant on it. Would society really full apart that completely? How long would it take the government to declare marshall law?

I recon order will be restablished inside of a month at most. I think desease and famine will be the biggest killers during the first couple of years a society shifts back to be more agricultural based and large cities down size. I don't think danger from looters and anarchists would last all that long to be a significant threat to life, and I think hunting would probably land you in serious trouble with the miltary state (end of a noose?). For shelter - there's nothing wrong with existing housing stock. For food - rationing would be back for the better part of a decade.

There's almost certainly offline desiel/gas backup generators that'd get electricity back to key stratigic areas that will allow government to continue functioning. And it wouldn't take that long to rebuild working gas/coal generators for the national grid.

In evolutionary terms, it's probably set us back 50-60 years at best.

Sorry - I don't think you'll be living in caves, hunting wild berries while fending off the zombie apocalypse. You'd be very unlucky if you survived any event that threw the would that far back!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 18th March 2014 at 08:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes you would be unlucky in that scenario, but that would be a World War 3 type of scenario where Tsar Bombs and H Bombs were used.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tsar Bomba was a 50 Megaton device that has to be dropped from a plane and so powerful the Russians daren't test another (they were going to make it a 100 megaton yield but bottled it). Nuclear bombs are yesterday's news, ICBMs and tactical missiles are the current threat launched from concealed facilities and hidden submarines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Building shelter? Hunting Berries? Would lack of electricity really return us to the stone age? We survived quite well without it uptil what, the latter part of the 19th century. It's only been the past 100 years we've been totally reliant on it. Would society really full apart that completely? How long would it take the government to declare marshall law?
    They could declare it all they want, but we A) Don't have the military presence to pull it off and B) How would they even communicate that order? How many carrier pigeons do we have left?
    Would anyone even care about Martial Law? I think plenty of people would ignore it entirely. It wouldn't return us to the stone age, no, and society wouldn't completely fall apart, but it wouldn't just be something we could mop up overnight. How would we get our military forces overseas home without power? We'd have to stick them on boats - and not ships, because they require power, so sailboats.

I recon order will be restablished inside of a month at most. I think desease and famine will be the biggest killers during the first couple of years a society shifts back to be more agricultural based and large cities down size. I don't think danger from looters and anarchists would last all that long to be a significant threat to life, and I think hunting would probably land you in serious trouble with the miltary state (end of a noose?). For shelter - there's nothing wrong with existing housing stock. For food - rationing would be back for the better part of a decade.
    Certainly illness would be the biggest killers, children and elderly mostly. I do wonder how us 'city folk' would manage it though, food would run out within, I'd hazard two weeks, and we don't have the space to farm (and even if we did, crops have a habit of growing rather slowly). Again, communication would be sporadic where it would or wouldn't work, so getting out government mandated rations wouldn't be too fluid.

There's almost certainly offline desiel/gas backup generators that'd get electricity back to key stratigic areas that will allow government to continue functioning. And it wouldn't take that long to rebuild working gas/coal generators for the national grid.
    True, but the idea I got from this thread was an EMP-type-incident that knackered all machineries, so backup generators wouldn't work (though I'd guess manual ones would)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    A) Don't have the military presence to pull it off
    Police? Reservists - TA?

and B) How would they even communicate that order?
    What did we do pre-1792? Before the telegraph? How did we fight the American Revolution War?

Would anyone even care about Martial Law? I think plenty of people would ignore it entirely.
    Some oaf empowered by the state points a gun at you... you ignore him?
    Again, communication would be sporadic where it would or wouldn't work, so getting out government mandated rations wouldn't be too fluid.
    Might not be fluid, but lines of communication can easilly be re-established (messangers on horseback (Okay push-bikes)). We're not exactly the largest of land masses.

True, but the idea I got from this thread was an EMP-type-incident that knackered all machineries, so backup generators wouldn't work (though I'd guess manual ones would)
    It's also were I have a problem. For it to be a real issue, then pretty much the whole globe has to be effected. Other wise, why doesn't aid agencies and the UN swoop down and rescue us? For an event to take out all the electricity aross the the entire globe - As species we'd be extremely unlucky to survive what ever it was.

About the only thing capable, without wiping out the species, is a freak solar flaire. If that happened. Would it also take out a switched off desiel powered backup generator in Parliaments basements? Might not last very long, but long enough to re-establish some kind of order?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you add police, regular and reserve armed forces together, we have about 500,000 potential personnel who could enforce martial law. 50k of that are probably deployed somewhere other than the UK though.

However, 450k people is plenty to enforce martial law on our small isle.

That said, they'd still have the issue of transport and communication. They don't have a lot of horses any more. But, that just means communication is slow rather than not possible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast