+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Gout - OUCH!! in General; Strange topic this morning, went to docs couple of weeks ago and told I had gout. Yesterday it flared up ...

Thank Post

Gout - OUCH!!

Strange topic this morning, went to docs couple of weeks ago and told I had gout. Yesterday it flared up and this morning is no better - so..... I wondered if anyone on here suffers from gout and how they cope when it flares up? Any hints, tips etc for coping and keeping it at bay would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My mom used to get it when her diabetes wasn't being controlled too well. Have the Docs told you what's causing it?

So, gout is tiny crystals of uric acid building up on joints oveer time...so you need to lower your uric acid levels. Treatment is usually NSAIDs, elevating leg and cool compress and lifestyles changes to stop the attacks.....

Thank Post
    Avoid red meat and red wine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm being tested for diabetes and gout tonight. Fun times! My ankles (and leading up to my knees) are immensely painful, but ah well. Grit my teeth, get on with it.

Thank Post
    I had one attack in my elbow it really is unbelievably painful. My doctor told me to increase my water intake and so far it has not come back.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies guys and gals

Im currently sat at my desk with my foot on another chair plus I have 2 large bottles of water to drink.

I think a problem for me is that I don't drink enough water/fluids which will have change.

Think while Im in pain and change bend my toes I think it going to be taxis or lift of the gf.

I didn't feel this much pain when I broke my foot :/

like nephilim said, just got to grit teeth and get on with it

Thank Post
    Im in hospital atm, recovering from surgery, and suffering from gout in ankle. Basically drink tons of water (no coffee or coke etc as its dieretic) and keep elevated. Was told that cooling it can reduce pain but doesnt actually help to reduce/improve problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Considering I have been suffering (badly) with caffeine withdrawal, I've cut out soft drinks and tea in its entirety. Been quite headachey and snappy, but people at work are helping me through!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Medication treatment for gout is usually just nsaid's such a naproxen, colchine which is a poisonous plant extract or a daily tablet such a alluopurinol to control the uric acid levels.

I've been on alluopurinol for a few months and had my dose upped last july and haven't had an attack since then.

It was increased because at the time I basically had an attack which was low level in all my joints so moving at all was agony and also had a bad ankle with it as well, my consultant sorted the ankle with a cortisone injection straight in to the ankle joint.

Ben

Thank Post
    In work, tried to keep my foot elevated as much as possible, but possible in this job. Anyway...... managed to bang by toe almost swore loudly..... so decided to email line manager to ask to take this afternoon off and tomorrow as annual leave as gout flared up and ideally need to rest it as much as possible.

LM came to see me and told me I can't take them as annual leave as she have been told by our external HR people that is skews/masks people illness records. Im not happy as I pointed out that surely we are entitled to do what we want with out annual leave..... but guess not :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,443 Posts
    If you can't do your job due to the pain then take it as sick days you're just as entitled to those when you are ill as taking annual leave don't feel like you are letting them down or similar take what you need to.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread