+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Career opportunities after being a IT Tech? in General; Originally Posted by dhicks Where we might do well is an organisation like a small-ish startup - big enough to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Where we might do well is an organisation like a small-ish startup - big enough to now be hiring more staff, and needing a general all-round competant person to handle general IT stuff (and anything else that crops up), much as with a school.
    Exactly what I have done - joined a company of 5 people - already up to 6 with 3 adverts out at the moment (1 apprentice, 1 tech, 1 sales admin).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This may sound like I have a horrific lack of ambition but I'm actually quite happy where I am and in what I'm doing. I enjoy my job, I have no desire at all to move into management, I get paid well and my job is as secure as it can be. If I found myself here in another five years, I wouldn't be unhappy at all.

Of course, that may change in the blink of an eye...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    This may sound like I have a horrific lack of ambition but I'm actually quite happy where I am and in what I'm doing.
    While I'm the same at the moment... I also want to lead my people to the promised land.

However... I'm also lazy. So, I may need to look into automating it somehow.

Thank Post
    Same. Never thought anyone else was interested tbh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samepassword View Post
    Thanks for the response guys.What do you think of working for a company like RM? Or other companies that implement and support ICT systems? Am I now the anti-christ?
    Not sure RM would be a good way forward for anyone at the moment. No longer selling any hardware, a lot of their hardware warranties heading towards the end, so techs are set to be made redundant. Sales team has been slashed as well from what we have been told. By the drop in service standards too makes me think that they have started getting rid of (or at least losing without being able to replace) engineers...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HTCPCP View Post
    Not sure RM would be a good way forward for anyone at the moment. No longer selling any hardware, a lot of their hardware warranties heading towards the end, so techs are set to be made redundant. Sales team has been slashed as well from what we have been told. By the drop in service standards too makes me think that they have started getting rid of (or at least losing without being able to replace) engineers...
    RM chopped 300 personnel from their workforce to consolidate after the BSF programme ended. They also cut their hardware division because the profits were pretty much non-existent (I heard about 0.5%). The redundancies seem to have been spread right across the business, so I know sales teams were consolidated, and I know of at least one top-tier engineer that was cut (bearing in mind there are only a few of these across the business). That said, everything else seems strong, and they are launching new services and products, and focussing much more on their software and services, which have always been their core business. Their staff always seem happy, regular redundancy rounds notwithstanding. I've always felt they look a good company to work for.

Thank Post
    Talking from my experience, I spent 3 and half years as a Network Manager at a school and then another 18 months as a ICT Manager for another school and have never left education since. Before becoming a network manager I had 4 years of experience working in small and medium size businesses doing general IT support and really enjoyed it. After my 5 years in schools I did a year in BSF working on projects on deployment before the money disappeared. This 1 year at this level set me up for what I know now, the danagers of ICT in education, the impact on a larger scale of schools but also understanding education and the impact of ICT across a number of schools and LA for both primary, secondary and special educational units. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that easy during the time but the value of understanding how a business and council run at that top level helped me in what I do today.

Following leaving BSF i started my own company and after 3 years and 4 months we are sailing the Office 365 Education boat and have reached over 1.2millions users in the UK and growing as an organisation. What i learnt the most wasn't from the school years (even though my time in the school was very valuable) but understanding how a business runs, what is required to deliver higher end projects to schools and the project and customer relations behind that have given me such an understanding along side the education knowledge I had has allowed me to grow and I wold recommend that to anyone.

For me the next step is Network Manager and then ICT Director looking after the operations of the communication and anything with a plug on but also look at how you can make it all more productive and saving costs. From their you will find opportunities as ICT Director for groups of schools before than going onto ICT Director or something similar for a academy group.

Try and get yourself experience in, tendering out your purchases, writing those tender, meeting with supplier and negotiating. Project Management (and be mean to ensure they deliver on time as you will learn a lot from this), manage staff and give them full appraisals and objectives and get them yourself.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    I am currently a Director of IT and ultimately my aim would be to become a Deputy Head or Head / Principal. I know that many would disagree with me that someone without a QTLS and significant in classroom experience should not be a Head Teacher.
    However if you have been in the school / education environment for several years and gained genuine experience and skills including senior management training then why canít a IT Network Manager one day rise to become a Head.
    Especially with the increase focus of technology and e-learning strategies it might actually be a good situation for a school to have a leader who has the knowledge and experience of technology strategies to develop and lead the school.
    However unfortunately I donít see this happening which is a shame not just for me but for driving education towards the next generation with a change in leadership directions in education.

Thank Post
    Not sure about Headship, but the most senior member of IT staff should definitely be on SLT anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Not sure about Headship, but the most senior member of IT staff should definitely be on SLT anyway.
    Why?.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Why?.....
    It makes sense? Unless the School doesn't heavily relay on IT

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    It makes sense? Unless the School doesn't heavily relay on IT
    The school relies heavily on lots of things. The people who manage those things don't all have to be on SLT to make the running of the school effective.

I don't necessarily disagree... I just think that the most senior IT person should not be on SLT by default. There has to be a good reason and I would need a better reason than yours

Thank Post
    Running around at the moment, will expand later on... though it may be a trademark essay... :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The school relies heavily on lots of things. The people who manage those things don't all have to be on SLT to make the running of the school effective.

I don't necessarily disagree... I just think that the most senior IT person should not be on SLT by default. There has to be a good reason and I would need a better reason than yours
    I currently work in the private sector, and the IT Director is on the board and takes parts in board meetings and ALL business critical decisions. We relay heavily on IT -the business understands that and acts appropriately.

Thank Post
    Changed my mind. Rather than expanding at this stage and running the risk of everyone talking at cross purposes, is it useful first to come to an understanding we can all agree on as to what exactly a Senior Management/Leadership Team is, what its purpose is within an organisation (of any kind as I see no reason to differentiate) and what it's for?

Having chatted with @GrumbleDook about this, he took a view that I hadn't considered before which involved the potential ramifications of having a "top-heavy" leadership team. Unfortunately I didn't quite get everything he was saying as the line was quite bad - anything he could add would be great!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast