+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car Insurance.... in General; Hi all, How does it work IF I'm buying a car.. (Which I'm not yet) obviously, If i'm going to ...
    Thank Post

Car Insurance....

Hi all,

How does it work IF I'm buying a car.. (Which I'm not yet) obviously, If i'm going to view a car, I might not buy it for one reason or another... but If I did buy it do I have to phone an insurance company and get insured on the spot ? Or Do I have to take someone with me who is insured fully comp ? but then I understand it that the vehicle in it's own right has to be insured for anyone to be able to drive it fully comp or not ?

How's it work ?

I'm guessing I couldn't drive it home then insure it ?

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Generally anyone who is fully comp can drive it unless they have a really skinflint policy When I passed my test, I got a friend to drive it home for me. However in most cases you don't just walk into a showroom, pick a car and pay for it on the spot & walk out, you'd normally have a couple of days to sort things out finance wise and including insurance.

3. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

cpjitservices (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    It has to have insurance on for the whole third-party comp stuff to work normally.

If it's still insured under the other "company/person" it'd count, but if it's not you can't officially without ringing up/trailer etc.

Steve

Thank Post
    If buying a car from an auction normally you have to take it there and then so it depends where you buy it from. The car needs to be taxed and mot'd then you have two choices you can either insure it on the spot by calling up and insurance company or doing it online. Though if you have someone around you that is fully comp and their insurance states they can drive any other car third party normally then they can drive it back as long as it's mot'd and taxed aswell!

Thank Post
    OK Everywhere I read, Car has to be insured in it's own right ... this includes someone driving it Fully Comp. Especially Vehicles not owned by themselves...

I guess its a thorough read of a policy.

Confused :S (And not the insurance compare site)
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 13th March 2014 at 11:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Depending on your policy, you are probably covered (third party only), to drive any car, provided that car is insured (by someone else), so you would probably be covered say, to take it for a test drive. However, if you chose to then buy the car, the current owner is within his rights to cancel his insurance and you may get flagged up on your way home and cop for ten points. So it would be worth maybe, arranging to either collect the car on a different day when you've arranged insurance or phone your insurance company on the day and arrange to insure it there and then.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are buying from a dealer, they will need time to get the car ready. I took delivery of my car 7 days after it was purchased during which time I was given a free 7-day temporary insurance contract so the garage could tax and MOT the vehicle. It was timed so I could drive the car home on picking it up and expired at midnight when my own policy kicked in.

If you are buying privately you will need to ensure Tax, MOT and your own insurance policy are in order before you drive away. In my case, my Dad drove my first car as he has a policy that allows him to drive any car on third party cover (plus I was 18 and hadn't passed yet).

Thank Post
    But if you are buying privately...

You could do either. Take a fully comp friend with you, phone to confirm a policy*, or give the seller a deposit and go back a day or two later to collect.

If buying from any form of dealer, they will/should have insurance covering test drives.

*If you know what sort of car you are looking for, get some quotes in advance.

Thank Post
    HMmmmm thanks for all of the information and advice.. whoever comes with me to buy needs to check their policy first make sure they can drive 3rd party.... will probs be buying privately so will make sure it still holds insurance... at least until I get it home

Thank Post
    Please take heed of what @HarryMonkey says. Some insurance companies will only insure you to drive a vehicle not belonging to you, providing the car's owner has valid insurance. Check with your insurance company to make sure. Also, a lot of policies for younger drivers doesn't include the any car third party cover.

Thank Post
    Do what the mrs did, find an old bloke who can drive get him to take the car back as quickly as possible and dodge the cops (don't actually do this! But I'm amazed she got away with it)

Thank Post
    At least I'm over the age threshold I hope im 26 in May.. I might see if I can be insured under the companies insurance as that does cover driving ANY Vehicle.. might have to ask nicely OR pay for a policy before I get a car.. I know what Im looking for.... Anything hatchback / estate, Diesel... something like a Citroen C5 or Pug 406, Focus TDCI or Mondeo Diesel.

Thank Post
    It's a tricky one.

If someone is fully comp they can drive a car with the owners permission and it being insured by them already.
    If you buy from a dealer, they often give you "free" 24 hour or a weeks insurance so you can drive it home (I think i got 1 weeks free insurance, when I bought from Evans halshaw) - all they do then is give you a quote, which you can reject as I did.
    Then if it is private / auction purchase I would suggest speaking with the auction company and ask how they usually proceed with this. When I got mine, I got a friend to drive mine back because he had a trade license (working in a garage) so can drive the car even if not insured, but these are hard to come by I think!

Quick Google...
    Short-term car insurance | AA

Short-term car insurance is ideal for:
    immediate drive-away insurance if you've just bought a car

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    OK Everywhere I read, Car has to be insured in it's own right ... this includes someone driving it Fully Comp. Especially Vehicles not owned by themselves...

I guess its a thorough read of a policy.

Confused :S (And not the insurance compare site)
    Back near the end of 2008 when I got my first car ( 1997 honda civic 1.4 L petrol ), paid for the car, using my phone went on confused.com did a car insurance quote for it and found that Elephant were the cheapest and called them up said Ive got this car, about to drive it home and need to pay for insurance fully comp.

Did it on the spot and was allowed to drive it back myself, may be worth while finding out who is going to be the cheapest for you and call them up and make sure you are ok to do what I did, am guessing so, as long as you do it before attempting to drive back.

16. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

cpjitservices (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    OK i've just had a word with the company manager and they can insure a car for me under the company policy ... thats nice of them .. so I can be insured from the date I buy it

And I'd be a named driver on all the company vehicles

Thanks for the information everyone!!

18. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

mac_shinobi (13th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast