+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fog Lights in General; Ranting here instead of BTRD because I want it publicly visible... I just ranted about this on Twitter, it is ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Angry Fog Lights

Ranting here instead of BTRD because I want it publicly visible...

I just ranted about this on Twitter, it is thick fog and for once it is a legitimate reason in the South East to use fog lights thanks to utterly dire visibility. Dipped headlights only fair enough, not everyone is sure if they should use them but they can still be seen, although fogs would be preferred. But then we get the idiots who have made the conscious decision to put their lights on, only the switch never got past sidelights which will do nothing in this weather.

And then we get the suicidal utter who think lights are optional and drive round in thick fog with absolutely no lights whatsoever even though everyone else around them has fogs on.

There really is no excuse, lights aren't there for you to see they are there for others to see you. I'd love to see every single one of the morons who think it is OK to whizz round morning rush hour in this pea soup get pulled over and have their licence dragged out of their hands and into a shredder because they are nothing short of a danger to other road users. I hope the Police are nice and busy this morning...

2. 2 Thanks to CAM:

cromertech (14th March 2014), Oaktech (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All good points. However we now have to suffer two months of people driving around with fog lights on because they have either forgot they are on or can't figure out how to turn them off!

Thank Post
    AARGHHH!!!! Me too! Thick, patchy fog here; the number of w with no lights is unbelievable!

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Got stuck behind some idiot in a merc this morning with no lights on. A nice silver merc, so blended in really well with the thick fog here.

When I got in front of them I found out that it was worse than that: They had their front spotlights/foglights on so they could see where they were going, but no other lights on at all. It takes a stunning level of stupidity to do that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can I add: a few wisps of fog does not mean you have to immediately hit the fog lights!

7. Thanks to sparkeh from:

BassTech (14th March 2014)

Thank Post
    You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27
    This is from the highway code. A lot of drivers have not got a clue how to use their lights in this country. We have very poor driving standards on todays roads.

I did not use my fog lights once this morning, as I was behind someone and someone was behind me. There is no need for fog lights in this situation.

Thank Post
    Don't forget drivers who drive around with just fogs on and no main lights...when there is no fog.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feel free to correct but in heavy fog I though the best bet was dipped or no head lights and fog lights as they are lower and don't throwback to much light so you can actually see and be seen.

Don't think I have ever had a car with fogs that could be on without at least dipped headlights, have seen some mental Japanese ones where the fogs are bigger and brighter than the headlights plus can go on without the headlights though which look silly - Mitsubishi Mirage or Subaru Impreza anyone.

Thank Post
    Had a wonderful time walking two miles across roads full of people who've forgotten to turn their brains and/or lights on this morning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Feel free to correct but in heavy fog I though the best bet was dipped or no head lights and fog lights as they are lower and don't throwback to much light so you can actually see and be seen.
    You've gotta have headlights on, dipped. Otherwise nobody will see you coming!

Thank Post
    I don't have fog lights except for the rear, not every car has them fitted to the front, I always keep my dipped beam on though in fog, it doesn't really bother me if I pull out because they don't have their lights on and they smash into the side of me it's their fault a bit of compo would do nicely around this time !!! Police never do all around here there have been a few times especially when a Taxi driver was drunk got out of his car blocking me in and ran at my car with a pole. They never even bothered coming out at this point I was only 17 and only passed 2 months before, when they called me back 4 days later I told them to forget it as they couldn't do anything about it now, I was very cross as my girlfriend was also in the car who was 16 at the time! Though they did stop me one night as the were susupicious of me driving to carefully and gave my car a whole check over even to the extent whether or not I had water in my washer bottle, ridiculous.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 14th March 2014 at 04:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post

Don't think I have ever had a car with fogs that could be on without at least dipped headlights, have seen some mental Japanese ones where the fogs are bigger and brighter than the headlights plus can go on without the headlights though which look silly - Mitsubishi Mirage or Subaru Impreza anyone.
    In general, front fogs are only better than headlights when visibility is so seriously reduced that you are crawling along following the curbstones. For example, in thick fog at night. In this sort of scenario you do get so much flare from the fog you can see feck-all if you use headlights.

My Mitsubishi will let you switch front fogs on whenever you want, but it turns sides & rear on for you if you do.
    @localzuk - No, not if you have front fogs on. See above for the really rare scenario.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 13th March 2014 at 10:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not many cars have front fogs that I've seen!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not many cars have front fogs that I've seen!
    This is true, mum doesn't, I don't, Girlfriend doesn't, I could go on... Normally they are an expensive added extra on cars nowadays!

Thank Post
    Not many; but a significant minority do. The owners seldom know what they are for!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast