+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, April 1st is coming in General; So was thinking... April 1st is slowly on the horizon and am thinking I may change every teachers desktop to ...
    Thank Post

April 1st is coming

So was thinking... April 1st is slowly on the horizon and am thinking I may change every teachers desktop to a picture of Michael Gove.

Not a joke in the practical sense but should make me laugh for a while.

Thank Post
    I built a capslocker a couple of years ago. Might have to leave it in the office. Stealth USB CapsLocker | macetech.com

The old 'invert all the screens in the ict room' trick might come out too. Tell the kids it's a problem with gravity or something.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    You won't be laughing when you end up with pens and pencils embedded in all your TFTs

4. Thanks to AButters from:

Oaktech (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    Build a fake cardboard wall behind your door so when people open it they are just faced with a brick wall..... thought

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    So was thinking... April 1st is slowly on the horizon and am thinking I may change every teachers desktop to a picture of Michael Gove.

Something along the lines of this?

Thank Post
    I have been thinking up some fun web things I can put on our Intranet, was thinking if you try and click Email the link moves around the page, might frustrate a few people - but mehhh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    I have been thinking up some fun web things I can put on our Intranet, was thinking if you try and click Email the link moves around the page, might frustrate a few people - but mehhh
    If you fancy playing more with proxying there's the upside-down-ternet. Upside-Down-Ternet

9. Thanks to mats from:

bondbill2k2 (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Set an auto reply on your help desk to the boromir meme, saying "One does not simply put things on a helpdesk and expect help"

Thank Post
    This is an email I sent a couple of years ago ...

Dear All,

As many of you know, the wireless network on site is approaching saturation as ever more devices are connected to it. An upgrade will be very expensive so we have been investigating modifying our existing devices to see if we can squeeze a few more years out of them. One technique called Frequency Orientation Over Loading may be viable for us as a site. This simply involves aligning connected devices so that the radio waves are optimally aligned with the wireless access points. Just as you line up your TV aerial with the transmitter for best reception, if we align devices and access points we can squeeze more signals into those little aerials. We would like to run a number of tests on this today and have modified the carrier signal modulation on the wireless access points to accommodate this. As you may realise the site buildings are mostly built running about 20 degrees off a north/south axis so we have configured the access points to maximise signals aligned exactly on a north/south axis. To help us with these tests, could you please ensure that when using your laptop on the wireless network, the laptop is facing north (i.e. you are facing north when looking at the screen). I've included a map below (north to the top) to help. Also, if you experience any connectivity problems, please make sure you are properly aligned before contacting the helpdesk.

<insert map of school showing North>

If the tests are successful we will look at optimising individual building layouts over the summer so that access points, seating and desks are where possible, aligned by default. Thank you for your co-operation and apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.

IT Support

12. 2 Thanks to HarryMonkey:

Oaktech (13th March 2014), vikpaw (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did a nice little April Fools two or three years ago - quite disappointed I can't use it again for a couple of years, but I need to wait for people to forget about it...

We set up a Facebook link on our Intranet page and left it sitting there, quiet and unassuming. Clicking it took users to a webpage with this in the middle:
    April 1st is coming-1.png
    The block of text at the bottom appears at about 60% on the counter. It's only a modified email header, but it looks technical

When the counter gets to 100%, the page redirects to:
    April 1st is coming-2.png

Which counts to 100% then redirects to:
    April 1st is coming-3.png

Which counts to 100% then changes to:
    April 1st is coming-4.png

Submitting anything (no validation, I didn't care that much) takes you to:
    April 1st is coming-5.png

Which, after much counting up to 100% then delaying a little longer for tension, changes to:
    April 1st is coming-6.png

The last page was originally an ASPX file so it could keep count of how many fell for it, but I couldnae be bothered to get it working again once the old intranet server was decommissioned.

If you want to see it in action, or use it yourself, I've zipped it up and put it on my SkyDrive OneDrive @ http://1drv.ms/O5Zy1w. discovery.html is the first page to run - that then goes through the rest from there. Let me know if you use it and if people fall for it, the howls of rage were thoroughly entertaining when we went with it

14. 18 Thanks to sonofsanta:

abillybob (13th March 2014), Alis_Klar (1st April 2014), F3000 (13th March 2014), featured_spectre (13th March 2014), Garacesh (13th March 2014), gmj (13th March 2014), hardtailstar (13th March 2014), korifugi (14th March 2014), LosOjos (1st April 2014), mac_shinobi (1st April 2014), michael2k6 (31st March 2014), Novalee (13th March 2014), Oaktech (13th March 2014), pcstru (13th March 2014), SovietRussia (13th March 2014), stevenlong1985 (13th March 2014), TechMonkey (13th March 2014), tekins (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    A couple of years ago we stuck a sign over the touch panels on the photocopiers which said they were now voice enabled along with subsequent commands.

That never should have worked, but we were in stitches first thing in the morning over how gullible some teachers are. I think i found the idea on here some years ago.

16. 2 Thanks to mrbios:

free780 (31st March 2014), hardtailstar (31st March 2014)

Thank Post
    I did the Fakebook one a few years ago as well, we logged the Windows user names of students that visited it. Quite alarmingly we had a significant number of year 7 students try to log on, despite not being old enough to have a Facebook account.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would love to do the facebook one, but I can't see SMT finding it funny...

People here are way to serious...

Thank Post
    I shall be answering the phone as usual and saying 'I will come asap'.
    They fall for it every year!

20. 4 Thanks to Galway:

Dom_ (1st April 2014), Novalee (13th March 2014), sparkeh (13th March 2014), stevenlong1985 (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    They fall for it every year!
    *DAY

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast