+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, My first IT Manager job interview..... in General; Hey all, I have landed my first interview as an IT manager in an independent school and just wanted to ...

Thank Post

My first IT Manager job interview.....

Hey all,

I have landed my first interview as an IT manager in an independent school and just wanted to see if any of you have any tips. There is also an hour long test, but I have no idea what it will entail.

I will just go in there and do my best but as I really want the job I thought it best to do a bit of preparation beforehand.

How would I answer a question such as "what do you know about the school" without sounding like I have recited what is on there website?.

Any one had experience doing or giving an hour long test before for a management position?. If so, what have you guys seen in the past?.

Thanks a lot..

Fellow Techie

Thank Post
    Without regurgitating their website you could speak of their reputation in the community and how you'd like to work with the school for it's continued improvement.

Also, a good thing is to ask the staff why they chose to work at that particular school. Always been a good question for me - show's you are interested in being the best place for you as well, not just getting any old job.

Not sure about the test however!

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply Novalee and for the Good luck. Yes, speaking of the schools reputation in the community and wanting to be part of that sounds like a very good point...
    As for asking the staff why they chose the school, would it best to do this informally before or after the interview or during the interview?.

At the end of all interviews, you are usually asked "Do you have any question"?, would it be appropriate to ask this then?.

I know there is no real right answer as it depends on the atmosphere in the room at the time and of the people doing the interview....but being at least a little bit prepared seems necessary.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Research the school - google them and see if there has been anything in the local press you can comment on. Read their last Ofsted report - particularly if there is any IT in it. You can ring up and request a visit too.
    Have a list of questions prepared - never ask about money or holidays. Write down anything you would like to know - it may be that the questions have been answered - eg how many servers, plans for the future, etc but it looks good to have a list so that when they ask, you can run your pen down the list and look up, smile and say " I think you have answered them all, thank you" with a big smile.

5. Thanks to witch from:

mark (12th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Many schools have staff panels as well as interviews - so that the staff can give their opinions on the candidate as well. Is that something that you'll be doing? I would mention it then if so - you are on interview all the time you are there and the people you meet with form opinions and likely be asked for feedback, so as you say, ask when you feel it is appropriate. Just showing an interest in the school and students. Don't forget that, even though you're applying for an IT manager job, you will be expected to be friendly and helpful with students as you will still have to work with them etc.

Thank Post
    Thanks Witch... Never thought about taking a list of questions in with me. That makes life easier and I can see how that would come across well. I am looking for the Ofsted report as we speak, if it has IT in it that would be great!!...Thank you very much Witch

8. Thanks to tech_ from:

witch (12th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Look for any negatives in the Ofsted report and if you have any strengths that could help in these areas, then let them know. The Ofsted before I came here picked the school up on lack of progress with bottom end maths. I commented at the interview that I thought a lot of these kids were simply scared of numbers and I had some ideas on how Excel could be used to help. It must have worked because as soon as I started I had to put the plan into action.

Thank Post
    Hi Novalee, well I will be meeting with the head during the day as well as potential colleagues at lunch. I guess that would be the informal staff panel and would be a great opportunity to ask the question then....

Thank Post
    Thanks Laserblazer...will try to look at areas which I could improve on. Congrats for getting the job . Does anybody know what an ISI report is?, is this different to an Ofsted one?

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanks for the link and apologies for appearing too lazy to google it myself...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread