+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Galaxy s2 to kitkat in General; Originally Posted by stevehill06 @ Lee91 How did you go about updating your s3 to 4.4.2? Never done anything like ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehill06 View Post
    @Lee91 How did you go about updating your s3 to 4.4.2? Never done anything like that to my phone before!
    It's really easy, just make sure all of the drivers for you phone are installed on your comp first before running the software. You just download cyanogen mod here: CyanogenMod | Downloads and follow the on-screen instructions.
    It's pretty much plug you phone in and press 'go' type of thing - simple!

It's got so many benefits, too many to list here! Once it's installed it automatically pulls updates from the cyanogen mod servers. Like @Ant says it really breathed new life into my S3, so on an S2 I suspect the improvements will be even more dramatic - won't hurt to try it and you can always revert to the default firmware if you don't like it.

If you do do it, BACKUP
    Last edited by BassTech; 12th March 2014 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Its an S4 mini, the phone was purchased separate to the SIM on amazon.
    How do i get KitKat on my mine please?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Just wondering if anyone out there has upgraded their Galaxy s2 to android kitkat?
    I also want to do this update

Thank Post
    Well I managed to get Cyanogen Mod 10.2 onto my S2 which gives me Android 4.3.1 and its worked great, love the simpler and junk free install!

Word of advice to anyone doing this - a) make sure you backup your contacts to a .vcf file, and b) go straight to the cyanogen site as they have now made it sooooo much easier! All you do is install an app on your phone, run a program on your PC and it does everything for you. Much easier than the old way of sourcing insecure kernals and all the other bits you need!

The only thing I miss from my original S2 (4.1.2) is the Smart Stay, which keeps the screen active when it detects you're watching it - but apart from that I'm well impressed.

Thank Post
    Well I managed to get Cyanogen Mod 10.2 onto my S2 which gives me Android 4.3.1 and its worked great, love the simpler and junk free install!

Word of advice to anyone doing this - a) make sure you backup your contacts to a .vcf file, and b) go straight to the cyanogen site as they have now made it sooooo much easier! All you do is install an app on your phone, run a program on your PC and it does everything for you. Much easier than the old way of sourcing insecure kernals and all the other bits you need!

The only thing I miss from my original S2 (4.1.2) is the Smart Stay, which keeps the screen active when it detects you're watching it - but apart from that I'm well impressed.

7. 3 Thanks to Sheridan:

Devontechie (23rd March 2014), kearton (23rd March 2014), Out_of_Sync (24th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Sheridan's method above isn't working for me. The PC app detects the phone, but when it gets to the point where it puts my S2 into Download mode it suddenly says it can't talk to my phone. I'm using Win8.1. I suspect it may be a USB driver issue, so I'll try again using Win7 when I get a chance...

- - - Updated - - -

Sheridan's method above isn't working for me. The PC app detects the phone, but when it gets to the point where it puts my S2 into Download mode it suddenly says it can't talk to my phone. I'm using Win8.1. I suspect it may be a USB driver issue, so I'll try again using Win7 when I get a chance...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @kearton this is a well documented issue, it is indeed to do with the USB drivers. Easy fix though, if you do a google search for the issue it'll come up, roughly speaking it's "zadig.exe" you need to run (you'll find it via google) and replace the drivers using that. Worked well for me on 8.1

- - - Updated - - -
    @kearton this is a well documented issue, it is indeed to do with the USB drivers. Easy fix though, if you do a google search for the issue it'll come up, roughly speaking it's "zadig.exe" you need to run (you'll find it via google) and replace the drivers using that. Worked well for me on 8.1

Thank Post
    Cyanogenmod is good although you may fine some issues, I don't know if you have tested your camera extensively but you may find that it says can't connect to camera and won't work at all on the odd occasion, also you may find some apps just stop working altogether they will open and say "Unfortuantley <name of app here> has stopped working". Some people never experience these issues though My girlfriend does on her S3 often!

- - - Updated - - -

Cyanogenmod is good although you may fine some issues, I don't know if you have tested your camera extensively but you may find that it says can't connect to camera and won't work at all on the odd occasion, also you may find some apps just stop working altogether they will open and say "Unfortuantley <name of app here> has stopped working". Some people never experience these issues though My girlfriend does on her S3 often!

Thank Post
    Yeah I tried that last night. It "failed to replace" driver on that too...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I tried that last night. It "failed to replace" driver on that too...

Thank Post
    Ahhh........... Windows 8
    @Sheridan - Yes, it's a lot better than Samsungs TouchWiz interface, really lightweight and well optimised.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh........... Windows 8

@Sheridan - Yes, it's a lot better than Samsungs TouchWiz interface, really lightweight and well optimised.

Thank Post
    I did get the same errors about not finding the phone on 8.1 initially but it worked after a reboot.

I made sure windows had finished installing the drivers before I ran it and it worked fine after that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    Went with KitKat around a month ago on my GS4 but found it had issues with calls, cutting off intermittently so took a step back with CarHDRom and I have found this to be absolutely brilliant, although still jellybean 4.3.2 it has dual boot capabilities and also the first installation allows you to choose which apps you want to install as part of the Rom.

Will not be upgrading too soon as I am well impressed with this ROM and as they say if it ain't broke don't fix it!

- - - Updated - - -

Went with KitKat around a month ago on my GS4 but found it had issues with calls, cutting off intermittently so took a step back with CarHDRom and I have found this to be absolutely brilliant, although still jellybean 4.3.2 it has dual boot capabilities and also the first installation allows you to choose which apps you want to install as part of the Rom.

Will not be upgrading too soon as I am well impressed with this ROM and as they say if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post

Did you have any problems getting your sd card to work properly after you done this? Mine appears greyed out. I have tried a format but I can't get it to function correctly.
    Also have you been getting mobile broadcast alerts?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Did you have any problems getting your sd card to work properly after you done this? Mine appears greyed out. I have tried a format but I can't get it to function correctly.
    Also have you been getting mobile broadcast alerts?
    With the mobile broadcasts - install an uninstaller app and remove it - I can't remember the exact name, it's something like com.android.cellbroadcasts or com.android.mobilebroadcasts - reboot your phone after

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast