+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 101
General Chat Thread, Is this right? in General; We (myself and my colleague) have been asked (nay, TOLD) by our head that part of our job description is ...
  1. #1
    Pete10141748's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,365
    Thank Post
    106
    Thanked 220 Times in 130 Posts
    Rep Power
    86

    Is this right?

    We (myself and my colleague) have been asked (nay, TOLD) by our head that part of our job description is to "aid in preparing resources for ICT", which I am happy to do - problem is, now she is saying that we have to sit down with staff and help them write thier lesson plans for ICT (and help them put ICT in lesson plans for other subjects too), and then actually BE there during the lesson to "aid" them.

    The aiding in the lessons is fine by me, after all we are here to help, and we accept that staff are less than adequte with computers here; but does anyone else help out with lesson planning? (or deal with the lack thereof?) or is it left to the more ICT capable teachers / year heads etc? As an almost qualified NQT they know I have experience of planning (albeit 4 years ago) but I'm just suprised that teachers are asking us techncians to actually plan a whole lesson and not just advise them,

    Just wondering if this is a common occurance, or if it''s just us! :?

    Cheers,

    Pete

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    345
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is this right?

    planning ICT into lessons is the job of the ICT Co-Ordinator surely

  3. #3

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,621
    Thank Post
    1,239
    Thanked 777 Times in 674 Posts
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: Is this right?

    > We (myself and my colleague) have been asked (nay, TOLD) by our
    > head that part of our job description is to "aid in preparing resources
    > for ICT", which I am happy to do - problem is, now she is saying that
    > we have to sit down with staff and help them write thier lesson plans
    > for ICT (and help them put ICT in lesson plans for other subjects too),
    > and then actually BE there during the lesson to "aid" them.

    All sounds like a reasonable enough job to me, just as long as people get the idea that it /is/ a job, therefore leaving you less time to do network managementey stuff. In fact, this is what all schools should be aiming to do - get the computers set up so they look after themselves, leaving us time to get on and make teaching resources.

    --
    David Hicks

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    777
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Is this right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nij.UK
    planning ICT into lessons is the job of the ICT Co-Ordinator surely
    Agree! (they are taking the pi$$)

  5. #5

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,621
    Thank Post
    1,239
    Thanked 777 Times in 674 Posts
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: Is this right?

    > planning ICT into lessons is the job of the ICT Co-Ordinator surely

    The overall plan, subject choice, etc, sure, but actual detailed software/worksheet design is probably best left to someone else.

    --
    David Hicks

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    829
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Is this right?

    ICT Co-ordinator - over all plans of teaching for that term using ICT.

    Teachers - plan the leasons according to the plan drawn up by the ICT co-ordinator.

    I'm sorry but it's not up to ICT support staff to tell teachers how to teach or how to use the equipment in their lessons. You can help them, assist and even improve the use of the equipment but how they actually use it to teach is entirely up to them.

    You're not teaching staff so how on earth are you meant to plan lessons ? Helping plan is very vague, personally I'd say to staff that if they want to know how to do X then they can come and ask but as for finding ways of including ICT, that in my opinion would be up to teaching staff.

    Bear in mind you're not a class room assistant.

  7. #7

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,631
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831

    Re: Is this right?

    Planning lessons on any level is not the job of technicians and network managers - it is the job of co-ordinators and teachers (as that is what they are trained to do). Sure, you should be providing assistance on any technical aspect of their plans and providing them with information on how to technically do things in their lessons, but actual planning is not your role and is inappropriate to be asked to do that by your head (as you are not a teacher).

    dhicks - computers will never look after themselves I'm afraid, that is far too optimistic.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rugby, Warwickshire
    Posts
    7
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is this right?

    I wouldn't go as far as to write the lesson plans out and do all the work for the teacher, with your "aid in preparing resources for ICT" i would put the emphisis on 'aid'.

    I personally would go as far as to go over a draft lesson plan with a new teacher or one without many IT skills and say what is and isn't possible on the school systems and load up any additional files or software that was needed, check the IT room was working fine. Generally give advice, but would leave writing the final lesson plan to the teacher, afterall they are the ones who should know the syllabus and topics to be covered not us.

    I've been asked to be present in the odd lesson before with some teachers to troubleshoot any problems that come up, but on the whole the staff where I work are ok with using the computers, and come to my office which is next to the most regularly used IT rooms when they have any unexpected problems.

    If your happy to take a more active role I would try and get your job changed to more of an ICT co-ordinator position as Nij.UK says, and get your job description a bit better defined.

    Daniel

  9. #9

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,621
    Thank Post
    1,239
    Thanked 777 Times in 674 Posts
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: Is this right?

    [localzuk wrote:]
    > computers will never look after themselves I'm afraid, that is far
    > too optimistic.

    Maybe not 100%, but it's what we should be aiming for. Even if that means we wind up with a network that takes 25% of a job to look after, that still leaves someone free 75% of the time to help prepare teaching resources, assist in lessons, etc. The whole reason schools are here is to teach people stuff, not to provide careers for ICT staff. The aim of any ICT staff should be to set the system up so it takes as little maintainance and effort to look after as possible, leaving more time available to do something more directly useful to the school's main goal.

    --
    David Hicks

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    777
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Is this right?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    [localzuk wrote:]
    > computers will never look after themselves I'm afraid, that is far
    > too optimistic.

    Maybe not 100%, but it's what we should be aiming for. Even if that means we wind up with a network that takes 25% of a job to look after, that still leaves someone free 75% of the time to help prepare teaching resources, assist in lessons, etc. The whole reason schools are here is to teach people stuff, not to provide careers for ICT staff. The aim of any ICT staff should be to set the system up so it takes as little maintainance and effort to look after as possible, leaving more time available to do something more directly useful to the school's main goal.

    --
    David Hicks
    Sorry David but you are way off the mark here? I was going to go into a rant about how ICT support staff are under-valued and underpaid etc etc blah blah blah.....BUT........ I escaped from the education system basically because of this kind of attitude and I wonder how many more ICT support staff will be driven out of education because of this kind of attitude.

    Good news for me though someone has to fix it when it all goes pete. (£800 per day to you sir but…….only if you ask nicely)

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    829
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Is this right?

    dhicks I agree with you that setting up computers to look after themselves is what I aim for, but the time that's freed up by this is simply used up in other areas. I am available to give advice more often but the bulk of it goes into developing future plans and improving ICT, attending departmental meetings and trying to improve the used of ICT in the school.

    I'll train staff and I'll help pupils when they ask but it's a waste of my time to be in class a lot, I'm not a classroom assistant and frankly that's what they're employed to do. ICT is part of school life now, we're here to keep it working and improve it, we're not here to do other peoples jobs for them.

    Teachers are there to teach, students are there to learn, you're employed to keep the ICT infrastructure working and help people use it. You're not there to assist in teaching directly, which is how you see to view your post.

    ICT in business doesn't work like that, you don't see ICT for accountacy firms sitting showing the accountants how to fill in forms, planning accountants diaries etc.

  12. #12
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,424
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 488 Times in 428 Posts
    Rep Power
    111

    Re: Is this right?

    I assume your salary will be increased to be equivalent to that of the most senior member of staff whose work you are doing for them?

    Fine with some guidance on technical aspects, the rest is down to staff competence.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    807
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Is this right?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    [localzuk wrote:]
    > computers will never look after themselves I'm afraid, that is far
    > too optimistic.

    Maybe not 100%, but it's what we should be aiming for. Even if that means we wind up with a network that takes 25% of a job to look after, that still leaves someone free 75% of the time to help prepare teaching resources, assist in lessons, etc. The whole reason schools are here is to teach people stuff, not to provide careers for ICT staff. The aim of any ICT staff should be to set the system up so it takes as little maintainance and effort to look after as possible, leaving more time available to do something more directly useful to the school's main goal.

    --
    David Hicks
    dhicks, are you a teacher by any chance?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    807
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Is this right?

    Ok, having re-read your post i want to question a few of your points:

    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    Maybe not 100%, but it's what we should be aiming for. Even if that means we wind up with a network that takes 25% of a job to look after, that still leaves someone free 75% of the time to help prepare teaching resources, assist in lessons, etc.
    Surely its up to the teachers to teach and prepare resources for their lessons. I will help a teacher if it's something particularly complex or a one off, or show them how to acheive something, but actually prepare all their resources? No chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    The whole reason schools are here is to teach people stuff, not to provide careers for ICT staff.
    Ok so if this isnt a career it's just a job. Why should i invest my time and money furthering my skills for just a job? Why should I take work home, or wake up remembering something that needs doing for just a job? Why should i come in early or stay late when it's just a job? IT, even in education is a career. End of. We've worked hard, got our quals or experience. Please dont belittle that.

    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    The aim of any ICT staff should be to set the system up so it takes as little maintainance and effort to look after as possible, leaving more time available to do something more directly useful to the school's main goal.

    --
    David Hicks
    Ok, so i'll set up linux, open office and firefox. None of this poor quality software that teachers buy, no access by pupils with memory sticks, no virus worries as it's linux, it'lll save the school money, and everyone will be happy right? Then we wont do upgrades because that takes time, we wont investigate new systems, hell, why not just go back to pen and paper everywhere, then i can babysit you and prepare your acetates for your OHP, becuase LCD projectors require maintenance and consumables. And you wont print anything either because keeping a stock of consumables and fitting them requires time that we could spend marking work for you......


    ok, rant over.

  15. #15
    joe90bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,349
    Thank Post
    322
    Thanked 107 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Is this right?

    @halfmad - agree with all you say.
    @pete - I'd have a chat with your union rep. It's one thing to advise, and assist, but to write teachers lesson plans is taking their workload agreement to far!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •