+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Car Theory... NAILED!! in General; i miss my motorbike all that was one day of cbt and thats it on the road now im learning ...
    Thank Post
    i miss my motorbike all that was one day of cbt and thats it on the road now im learning to drive its like whats this and that and blar blar blar, :P

Thank Post
    Having done the whole "passing the test thing" again for my bike licence, I offer this to you as an experienced and safe* driver.

The hazard awareness test is a joke. If you don't see the hazards LONG before they want you to click, you won't last long on the road.
    If you struggled to get through the theory test, you need to concentrate on getting to grips with the Highway Code. You REALLY need that processing to be sub-conscious when you hit the roads for real. You need to be able to give your FULL attention to the other idiots out there.

*30 years+ on the road and no "at fault" incidents.

Thank Post
    I can assure you @Andrew_C that I have no problems with knowing the highway code, and I have plenty of experience with driving, not motorways mind but normal driving, and my alertness is good, I saw more hazards on the theory test than I was actually graded for, and saw them way before I should of clocked thats why I kept failing it.. clicking too early!!

Looking forward to getting my practical test passed, im itching to get it done!! Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Having done the whole "passing the test thing" again for my bike licence, I offer this to you as an experienced and safe* driver.

The hazard awareness test is a joke. If you don't see the hazards LONG before they want you to click, you won't last long on the road.
    If you struggled to get through the theory test, you need to concentrate on getting to grips with the Highway Code. You REALLY need that processing to be sub-conscious when you hit the roads for real. You need to be able to give your FULL attention to the other idiots out there.

*30 years+ on the road and no "at fault" incidents.

Thank Post
    I kind of flunked my Hazard test, I just kept clicked whenever I saw anything that was a hazard, Road Signs, Pedestrians, On coming Vehicles, Animals, etc...

They are talking about making the test even harder for people to pass something about 2 theories, plus there is meant to be a law coming in which states even once you have passed for the first year you have to drive with someone over the age of 21 with a full UK license in the passenger seat otherwise you can't drive. The thing that will hurt you will be insurance premiums, my Girlfriend passed and she has a 1.2 Corsa 53 Plate, her insurance for third party thire and theft is £2500 a year absolutley ridiculous. It dosen't change much if you're older either, my old Boss who works in a Pub just passed and bought a 1.4 Astra his insurance was £3000 third party fire and theft! Good Luck!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    my old Boss who works in a Pub just passed and bought a 1.4 Astra his insurance was £3000 third party fire and theft!
    Why do you think that might be?

Seriously; as much as I hate to support the insurance industry, the premiums for new drivers are high for good reason. Statistically they are poor drivers. They may have passed the test...

Thank Post
    My elderly neighbour had the plumber in yesterday. I watched him reverse out of her drive and as he stopped to change gear, she reversed straight into the side of his van.

Thank Post
    Really? My insurance isnt that high, I've had as little quoted as £1200 for a Kia Sedona, thats well within the affordable limit for me, im 26 in May. That price was guaranteed too as the broker rang me up asking if I wanted to buy it that day! Whilst 1200 is still quite high, for someone like me it's also quite low too.

I'd put full UK licenses passed for 1 month, 6000 Miles a year mileage.

Thank Post
    The main thing with insurance is the milestone ages as well as the size of your car, if your in the young driver category (especially17-22, but pretty much everything under 25)these days you will get hammered or you take the black box option, where you have to behave from what I can tell, I had a 2.0 Mondeo when I was nearly 22 as my first car (I am a pretty big guy and had enough of a torturous time at college with the few friends who had cars such as Metros, Polo's and Fiesta's to be put off a small car and as I was working then, decided to pay for something decent) and I paid £1200 a year to insure it back then (2002 this was and I did not drive like a t*t either) that was high for a few years until I hit 25, where it dropped like a stone on renewing, to £400 a year with a few years no claims under my belt, before I got rid of the car then.

Unfortunately its other things like the endless false "Whiplash" and fake crash, claims that get made that end up pushing up the premiums for users as well.

I had that joy with a minor accident in 2009 where I had a very minor accident at under 5mph, where the car skidded on black ice into the back of a corsa, the girl was absolutely fine initially, only a small dent in her plastic bumper, until the mention of "if no ones injured, we just swap insurance details and go on our way" where the girl then swan dived onto her aunt in some of the best amateur dramatics I have ever seen, forcing me to call an ambulance and the police and having the girl making that claim.

All for an extra £1000 she got offered on top of her car repairs, claiming that she lost her job in a local shop as a result of the injury and everything :/
    Last edited by rich_tech; 11th March 2014 at 02:19 PM.

rad
    Thank Post
    A Kia Sedona is not the normal first cars, so will be cheaper. If you did the same value on a corsa, it will no doubt be higher

I passed theory first time, practical second time back when it had just been put on computer.

I passed by trailer test second time too!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12