+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Job Advice in General; Hi All, I may be asking slightly to soon here but I'm looking for some job advice. I studied IT ...

Thank Post

Job Advice

Hi All,

I may be asking slightly to soon here but I'm looking for some job advice. I studied IT in college up to a HNC but I am looking at doing a couple of qualifications such as comptia a+/Network+ etc. Anyway presuming that I complete these courses I unfortunately live in mid wales which means very very limited career opportunities. However most of my family live here and me and my partner are quite settled here. I have been looking at jobs in London as I may be able to stay with family mon-fri in London and then go home at the weekend. What I really want to know is what would be my chances of getting a foot in the door at an IT company with this sort of setup and also what would be the best qualifications to do if I was looking at jobs such as Network Admin etc?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doing it is fine, but the trouble you will find is the commute and finding somewhere to live will be more costly than the move to london. Plus with direct trains from London to Cardiff/Swansea and then appropriate connections from there, it wouldn't be a bad thing to move, as you wouldn't actually be that long away. However, if you can make the costs viable, it wouldn't be an issue, I believe @GrumbleDook does a 4 hour commute each way to wales every day from Northampton (I could be wrong).

An old colleague of mine did a 3 hour each way commute from Cardiff to Ashford, and ended up moving closer as the costs just got higher and higher and his wage didn't keep up with the costs.

Thank Post
    I suppose until I'm ready to actually apply for some jobs I won't know what the actual cost of doing like this will be. What qualifications would you recommend for someone looking to land a technician job?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    The key to job success is a good cv and previous experience. If you have none then you need to get some. Relevant work experience, be that paid or voluntary is best. However any work experience, even shelf stacking in Sainsbury's, is better than none at all as it at least proves that you can work as part of a team and are prepared to put in the effort to get up and get into work on time.

As for crafting your cv, punctuation and grammar are extremely important. You need to proof read it time and again and get others to to proof read it too until you are sure it is perfection. @witch on here is a former technical recruitment consultant and has had good success with crafting edugeek cvs. PM her and I am sure she will help out if you ask nicely

If you apply to schools, you will have to complete an application form rather than rely on your cv as schools are required to use cvs for safeguarding reasons.

The costs of living down here in the South East are higher than you have at home and the cost of commuting is very high. So you will need to factor the travel costs into your budget when you decide whether a job is worth applying for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twice a week I do a 3-4 hour commute (by train) either to North London or to South Wales from Gosport and the rest of the time I work from home (with the occasional extra meeting thrown in).

A travel card on a monthly season ticket works out cost effective if I know I am going to be in the office more than 6 times in a month, otherwise I pay as I go. Trips to Wales are claimed back so I can't include that here.

Before moving down here it was a 1 1/2 hour drive from Kettering to Borehamwood ... and if it wasn't for the fact that I really like this company, enjoy the projects I am working on and get enough flexibility to still have a family life, the commute would drive me mad.

Saying that, I have 2 friends that did Nottingham to Northampton and Leicester to London each day respectively. They enjoyed the quiet time in the car or the ability to switch off on the train.

It is a very personal thing but you need to balance a) the cost of living against the cost of commute (travelling from one part of London to another can be as long as travelling from Kettering to London), b) time away from family / friends and c) your ability to commute when tired / not feeling 100% / after having a social life / etc.

6. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

dainbramaged1988 (7th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Ok cheers for the quick responses. So far you are a very welcoming bunch. I will get in touch with her as soon as I am ready to start applying for positions cheers @elsiegee40. Hopefully when I decide to do this the commute will only be twice a week, either by train or car. I should be able to stay with family whilst working so that will cut a lot of cost. I will just have to keep studying towards the quals I want and then see how it goes. Cheers for all the advice!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dainbramaged1988 View Post
    Ok cheers for the quick responses. So far you are a very welcoming bunch. I will get in touch with her as soon as I am ready to start applying for positions cheers @elsiegee40. Hopefully when I decide to do this the commute will only be twice a week, either by train or car. I should be able to stay with family whilst working so that will cut a lot of cost. I will just have to keep studying towards the quals I want and then see how it goes. Cheers for all the advice!
    It's the local commute that puts the cost up. Your travel from where your relatives live to your place of work. You will need to watch out for where you apply to compared with where you will be staying... London is a big place!

9. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

dainbramaged1988 (7th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Sorry I see what you mean now. Its been a long day! Yes I believe a lot of planning before hand will be in order for it to work successfully. I do have a friend in a similarish situation but he's quite a bit older than me and earns quite a lot more so I suppose the cost isn't quite as much of an issue. I will definitely be looking into it more though as where I am working at the minute is not exactly what I want from a career. And just talking about the idea is slightly exciting! Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Ok cheers for the quick responses. So far you are a very welcoming bunch. I will get in touch with her as soon as I am ready to start applying for positions cheers
    You might need to get in contact with me long before you are ready to start applying as it can take a while to craft a CV.

Thank Post
    @witch Ok that's fine I do have a CV although I imagine it will need some tweeking to make to make it better for the sort of job I want. I imagine it will be whole different ball game applying for a job in London than where I am now. Thanks for offering to help by the way I am very grateful.

Thank Post
    @dainbramaged1988 Is that Newtown in Powys?
    My mother's family come from there and I have cousins in the town

Thank Post
    @witch It is Newtown Powys. Wow small world. What are your cousins names?

Thank Post
    @witch It is Newtown Powys. Wow small world. What are your cousins names?
    Edwards, Jones or Davies probably

I have (south) Welsh family too... it's a nightmare to research my family tree!

Thank Post
    My cousin Michael Gudgeon used to be the United Reformed Minister and still lives in the town.
    Not quite, @elsiegee40 - the family names are Oliver (they used to have a piano shop), Taylor (a confectioners) which is a Scots name, and Morgan.
    (my sister wanted to take Oliver as her stage name when she became an actor until someone pointed out it was a bit close to Olivier! )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    My cousin Michael Gudgeon used to be the United Reformed Minister and still lives in the town.
    Not quite, @elsiegee40 - the family names are Oliver (they used to have a piano shop), Taylor (a confectioners) which is a Scots name, and Morgan.
    (my sister wanted to take Oliver as her stage name when she became an actor until someone pointed out it was a bit close to Olivier! )
    Pah! Call yourself part Welsh with surnames like that! (I'll let you have Morgan Jones, Edwards and Davies really are my heritage!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast