+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, BBC 3 Axed in General; We can't be far off all online, on-demand viewing being the norm anyway. IMO, the BBC's biggest mistake here is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    We can't be far off all online, on-demand viewing being the norm anyway. IMO, the BBC's biggest mistake here is announcing this as the axing of the channel. They should have marketed it as the first all online mainstream TV channel in the UK. Eventually, I think this is how all TV will work; a show gets released on a certain date and is then available to view whenever you want. A lot of people watch TV they care about like this anyway now with the various DVRs out there...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    We can't be far off all online, on-demand viewing being the norm anyway.
    In cities & towns maybe but there are still millions of us stuck with substandard ratty old phone lines and no prospect of an upgrade anytime soon.

As the crow flies Im 1.5 miles from the town centre. The phone lines run 3 sides of a square and are over 3 miles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Do you have a source for that as I can't find any information from BBC beyond the original statement?
    Thats what I understood from yesterdays news but things have changed again

BBC News - BBC One to gain half BBC Three budget

Half of BBC Three's commissioning budget will be ploughed into BBC One drama programmes, in plans outlined by director general Tony Hall.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
    Thats what I understood from yesterdays news but things have changed again

BBC News - BBC One to gain half BBC Three budget

Half of BBC Three's commissioning budget will be ploughed into BBC One drama programmes, in plans outlined by director general Tony Hall.
    Just read that. Yeah the savings argument is now...hard to understand?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    With BBC3 going online, it'll just the green light to younger viewers that they don't need a license fee. Don't be surprised if the 10% of people no longer paying it will just rise. What will they do then? Continue sending out threatening letters and sending more 'men in a van' to check what you're doing!
    The BBC have started work trying to alter the requirements for the TV license to make all BBC online tv services to require a license, live or not. A while ago, they talked about making it a login service tied to your license number.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The BBC have started work trying to alter the requirements for the TV license to make all BBC online tv services to require a license, live or not. A while ago, they talked about making it a login service tied to your license number.
    I'm fine with that, as long as I get to watch it where I want when I want and not just "in my own home".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the success of House of Cards on Netflix, I think the BBC have missed a trick with their online offerings. Not sure BBC 3 really plugs the gap either. What they need is to expand iPlayer a bit. Make complete older series available. Make a new made-for-iPlayer series that can be binge-watched Netflix style. As much as I don't really like Channel 4 content, 4OD are seriously ahead of the Beeb with this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Looking at the success of House of Cards on Netflix, I think the BBC have missed a trick with their online offerings. Not sure BBC 3 really plugs the gap either. What they need is to expand iPlayer a bit. Make complete older series available. Make a new made-for-iPlayer series that can be binge-watched Netflix style. As much as I don't really like Channel 4 content, 4OD are seriously ahead of the Beeb with this.
    Yes!
    It really annoys me that things are only available for a week on iPlayer, 4OD has a wealth of content that we regularly flick through and choose something new (to us) to watch.

Thank Post
    I for one am saddened by this.

Thank Post
    the paying a DD online system for TV licence irritates me in that they want you to keep paying over and beyond your licence in its first year, they dont seem to encourage splitting the amount over a year like a normal DD

Monthly Direct Debit is our most popular option, giving you the control of smaller monthly instalments with the convenience of automatic payment and renewal. You’ll usually pay for your first year’s TV Licence within the first six months, at around £24 a month. You’ll then pay for your next licence in twelve monthly instalments of just over £12.
    Your first payment is due now. Please pay this by debit/credit card. If you are unable to do this we will adjust your Direct Debit payments.
    Each year now the wife and I pay it for 6 months to get the full licence then cancel it, because I dont wish to stockpile a licence in advance, I would rather pay it divided over an entire year and have it as a lower ongoing monthly from the offset without the nonsense

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    How on earth do they manage to spend £100m on 'The Voice'?
    Tooth whitener and fake tan for Tom

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    They can try, but as I say, I think they're trying to win a losing battle. If you turn back the clock this is exactly what happened with radio. There are thousands of stations out there to choose from, yet you don't pay a penny.

The argument(s) for a TV license are completely flawed... if the viewers think it's any good and the numbers are high, then the advertisers will pay more. The irony is that the BBC could create carp programmes and still be paid for it. Where's the justification in that? ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 for example do not have this luxury, so you have to be innovative and forward thinking. It's a real business.

Thank Post
    With BBC3 going online, it'll just the green light to younger viewers that they don't need a license fee. Don't be surprised if the 10% of people no longer paying it will just rise. What will they do then? Continue sending out threatening letters and sending more 'men in a van' to check what you're doing!
    Even if there were more detector vans, it won't make any difference as Crapita handle that part of TV licencing, and we all know how efficient they can be.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The argument(s) for a TV license are completely flawed... if the viewers think it's any good and the numbers are high, then the advertisers will pay more. The irony is that the BBC could create carp programmes and still be paid for it. Where's the justification in that? ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 for example do not have this luxury, so you have to be innovative and forward thinking. It's a real business.
    I'd argue if anything on ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5 in the past 5 years could be called either innovative of forward thinking?

The best TV of the past couple of years has been Danish imports shown on BBC4 - go figure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A few good shows not shown on terrestrial TV which have been great (IMO) and they are on advertised services (Sky or E4 etc).

Arrow
    Big Bang Theory
    Bones
    Criminal Minds
    Game of Thrones
    Revenge
    Revolution
    The Vikings

Aside from top gear or the news (rarely), I do not watch anything on BBC, and my other half only watches call the midwife. We dont watch CBBC or CBeeBies in our house as the daughter doesn't like whats on offer, prefering nick Jr or Cartoon Network (or even playing her games not watching the TV!!!)
    Last edited by nephilim; 6th March 2014 at 12:37 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast