+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, BBC 3 Axed in General; Sad times I enjoy BBC3, as was said 4 should go as should parliament and one of the kids channels ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Sad times I enjoy BBC3, as was said 4 should go as should parliament and one of the kids channels that will save money.

Thank Post
    I watch more on BBC3 compared to the others put together.

Now I only watch Top Gear.

Thank Post
    Im guessing it's probably cause the likes of Will-I-Am and Kylie Minogue don't come cheap, probably got endless expenses

Thank Post
    sadly bbc is becoming more and more like itv (i cant remember the last time i watched anything on itv (touring cars on itv4 yes but itv1/2/3 i honesltly cant remember when i last watched them other than quick chage channel thats on record and i dont want to see the end channel flicking from bbc2) apart from pointless, dr who, allo allo and top gear there is all but noting on i want to watch apart from the odd documentary or one off program. cant remember the last time i saw anything on bbc3/4 given up on family guy /american dad on there i always seem to record the same episodes ive seen so many times i can almost recite them

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Listened to a lot of debate on this on the radio whilst I was embroiled in the Hell hole that is St. Nicholas Circle, Leicester at rush hour.

Anywho, the thing that surprised me is just how well BBC 3 is doing compared to other channels in terms of market share and hitting is demographic. I think it was something like 4% market share compared to Sky Sports 2% and Sky One 1%.

It purely comes down to economics though, they need to save money and moving 3 gives them a fair chunk of that whilst enabling them to wrap it up in some 'Hey we're down with the kids' spiel.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    100m on the voice, well Will.I.Am, and Tom Jones are getting close to 300k per show, and there are around 32 shows in a season, so between them they're taking 19.2m of that 100m. The remaining judges are getting around 200k per show and are taking around 12.8m of the 100m. That there is 32m of the 100m budget. They also pay around 10k a week per judge for accomodation, security, food etc. This is around 12 weeks of shows, so thats 120k per judge, per series so thats another 480k for one series.

So, just for the judges alone, 32.5m (rounded to nearest 100k) is spent on the show.

If you count in the crew and how much they get per show etc (all the camera, sound, editing etc) thats around 800k for everyone else involved per show. This is around 25.6m for the show.

So between Judges and crew, you have spent 58.1m

The remaining 41.9m goes on advertising the show (papers, tv guides, tv adverts) I think it was around 28m which went on the advertising. The remaining is used for paying for accomodations and food and security for the singers on the show and what have you.

They also generate around 25m per series in the voting lines, so they get around 1/4 of their money back so to speak.

I agree however the show is a massive waste.
    Last edited by nephilim; 6th March 2014 at 10:17 AM.

Thank Post
    I would do it for 100k a year

Thank Post
    Bit of a shame really. I liked watching BBC 3 and I do think they have some good shows on!

Thank Post
    Most of the BBC 3 shows are supposed staying on the new web delivered version. Well that blows a big hole in the alleged funding saving doesnt it?

Transmission and distribution costs are a tiny part of the ~85 million running costs for the channel every year, and anyway the satellite & dtt capacity is already contracted for as its split time with one of the kids channels.

Note the carefully avoided point in the news that BBC1 +1 will be launched in the not too distant future. Wonder how much THAT is going to cost in repeats fees to already overpaid "stars"???

I dont watch much on BBC 3 but I wont be watcing anything once its web only - our sub 3 meg "broadband" isnt fast enough to stream tv. It struggles with scaffy quality youtube videos a lot of the time....

Thank Post
    How long before TV's can receive web tv anyway... in two years time we will probably be wondering what all the fuss was about.

I can probably get it on my NowTV box
    Last edited by JJonas; 6th March 2014 at 10:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
    Most of the BBC 3 shows are supposed staying on the new web delivered version.
    Do you have a source for that as I can't find any information from BBC beyond the original statement?

Thank Post
    I'd rather they turned the voice into an online only show. Warblers send videos to Will.I.Am . he publishes the ones he likes, people phone up to comment or text. Bosh. Done.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    How long before TV's can receive web tv anyway... in two years time we will probably be wondering what all the fuss was about.

I can probably get it on my NowTV box
    they can now. My new tv gets motors tv as a webstreem through freeview (useless though as no tv guide and you cant record it). My BT Youview box does various channels via web that can be recorded so i can watch discovery\gold\comedy central\bt sport\espn and others without having to pay a murdoch tax It generally works ok but the youview box isnt the best bit of kit ever and every now and again i have to unplug and replug the network lead as it insists there is no internet connection

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Sad times I enjoy BBC3, as was said 4 should go as should parliament and one of the kids channels that will save money.
    BBC4's the only channel on Freeview/Freesat at the moment that actually has programs worth watching on a semi-regular basis. For other channels, I can't remember the last time I seriously watched something that wasn't on BBC. Caught 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown on C4, and that's about it.

Then again, apart from Top Gear on Sunday nights, I never watch live TV. Pretty much either BBC iPlayer or Neflix. I do have a Sky Now subscription but that seems largely unused as a missed the start of The Walking Dead season 4 on Fox and is now waiting for Game of Thrones to start again.

Last show I enjoyed on BBC3 was Being Human. Stopped watching over a year ago when the principle cast was replaced.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Most Smart TV's are network compatible out the box either via Ethernet or Wireless, so the technology is already there. The BBC are fighting a losing battle and they also will be forced to show adverts eventually. It isn't right you have to pay the license fee if you don't watch BBC and then pay for a Sky package on top for example. Plus how much are they paying 'a man in a van' to monitor what you're doing... and keeping a database of addresses who and who hasn't paid the license fee. It's a complete waste of time.

The +1 shows make perfect sense for the likes of ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 - improving on the advertising revenue shown just an hour earlier. The BBC make absolutely nothing out of it - it's just another cost broadcasting the channel twice.

With BBC3 going online, it'll just the green light to younger viewers that they don't need a license fee. Don't be surprised if the 10% of people no longer paying it will just rise. What will they do then? Continue sending out threatening letters and sending more 'men in a van' to check what you're doing!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast