+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Finding a bike to cycle to work in General; Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx You get far more for your money second-hand. The problem with cheap bikes is poor components ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    You get far more for your money second-hand. The problem with cheap bikes is poor components - bottom brackets that last months, poor pedals, cranks with integrated chainrings, poor sealing on bearings and so on.
    If you want new, I rate the Carrerra Subway (disc version), you can sometimes find this on offer at Halfords. The Subway is a solid bike.

If the simplicity of single-speed is your thing, I've hammered my Vitus Dee 29 and it's still going like a trooper. Apart from the nylon pedals (changed for studded platforms), the components are good.
    Actually, if Halfords is, for some reason, your only option, the Carerra Subway is, as has been stated, solid. My Lodger and my Ex both have different versions of this, I know my Ex was doing 150 miles a week on hers, no Idea if she still is, but while we were still living together it was faultless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    I can't recommend a bike I'm afraid, but I will say this: avoid Halfords

I decided to get in to cycling a couple of summers ago and made the mistake of buying a cheapo bike from Halfords. Ended up spending almost as much on it replacing the crappy gears, tyres, pedals, chain and saddle; it's almost a different bike now! Their service was crap too (bike and customer), ended up watching hours of YouTube and learning to service the bike myself.

It's OK now, not great, but for the time and money I have put in to it, I'd have been better off just buying a decent bike from the start!

I know Halfords have other, reputable brands, but all bikes need a decent service and you won't get that in [most] Halfords IME
    Last edited by LosOjos; 6th March 2014 at 01:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Basically don't want to spend more than 200 if poss.
    There's a BSA 3-speed for sale on a card in my local co-op. New tyres and a rack - 8. Yes, 8. For that kind of money you could even forgive the fact that the brakes will be non-existant in the wet. I suspect it will go on for ever as long as you replace tyres every couple of years.

Thank Post
    I'd rather go online than buy at halfords. Something like this - Ridgeback Motion 2013 Hybrid Bike | Evans Cycles. If you want mud guards and a back rack I'd wait until Aldi get them back in. Cost you about an extra 20.

Thank Post
    I'd recommend Edinburgh Bike Co-op stuff, well made & good value, they know what they're doing in there. Same for Evans Cycles too bit more expensive though. Try before you buy if at all possible, riding positions can vary a lot & get help in adjusting the riding position to suit you.

Thank Post
    All my bikes have been second hand for example my latest bike is a cube arial ready for race 2009 RRP 700ish got it off a mate for 200 as he has moved to AUS. So I would recommend looking on ebay/asking around..also if you have a friend that is well up on bikes take them with you the money you save getting a second hand bike you could put towards a decent service at your local bike shop, its worth reading up/videoing up on general bike servicing skills plenty out there on Youtube.

Thank Post
    I got one of these 3 years ago.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vittesse-Spr...&keywords=bike
    I've used it sporadically but I'm heavy and the wheels are still true and it all works properly. Replaced tyres and brake blocks once but otherwise it's still the same.
    I used to race many (many) years ago and this costs less than one of my wheels from then!

Thank Post
    How about something a little different ....

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I bought the cheapest decathalon mountain bike I could then bought some new anti puncture commuting tires for it.

Total cost was about 150 quid. Runs really well.

Thank Post
    Our county council offers employees an interest free loan to buy a bike payable over 12 months so I bought myself an electric bike for 800, love it cycling to work along the coast road, unfortunately some serious health issues have stopped me for now but i'll be back.....

Thank Post
    Is that 'Cycle to work' scheme still running? That's how I got my bike a few years back. I think it allows you to buy a bike with the VAT shaved off the price AND you pay it back in interest free monthly instalments.

Type 'cyclescheme' into your favourite search engine & you should be able to find out about it. It might enable you to increase your budget.

I don't know nothing about bikes, ended up getting a Cannondale hybrid. It's done good for me and is really light.

I don't drive and bus fare here would cost me 4 a day so the bike saves me plenty . My cycle route is 90% off road and it's GREAT!!! It's fun in winter and just ... relaxing in summer. Nothing like starting the day in a good mood.

12. Thanks to CapnPugwash from:

alemanyorks (13th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12