+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Virgin Superhub Wireless Fails and Admin page Unresponsive in General; I am getting sick of this. Two weeks with Virgin and the Internet is fantastic, the Superhub is a pile ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Virgin Superhub Wireless Fails and Admin page Unresponsive

I am getting sick of this. Two weeks with Virgin and the Internet is fantastic, the Superhub is a pile of trash though.

This is the problem: Superhub works fine, Internet via Ethernet cable is fast, stable and responsive. Ping is great, even to the superhub. All is hunky dory.

Then I try to connect to wireless to find it has failed. The 2.4GHz light flashes slowly and I go to the IP address of the hub in my browser to access the admin page. Nothing, it just says Connecting... and doesn't even throw up a timeout message. It will do this at the worst times, like just after I leave for work so the entire house gets no Wireless all day. The only way to resolve it is power cycling the Superhub by unplugging it. I called 150 who resolved a line issue with a technician but they are zero help with this problem. Annoyingly I have devices that don't support 5GHz so disabling 2.4GHz to see if that is the problem isn't an option.

I'd rather not bridge it with another device as router since when it works, it is the best wireless station I have ever used with perfect signal strength. So I am wondering if anyone here knows how to resolve the issue. Sadly ripping it out and throwing it out the window like I could do with BT's Homehub isn't an option.

Here is the log with a snippet of what appears in an incident (read bottom up):

04/03/2014 22:28:03 GMT 69010700 SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
    04/03/2014 22:27:54 GMT 68010302 DHCP WAN IP - <<REMOVED>>
    04/03/2014 22:26:56 GMT 69010200 SW Download INIT - Via Config file V7d9851ad5190a525.cm
    04/03/2014 22:26:49 GMT 68000407 TOD established

<<POWER CYCLE HERE>>

Time Not Established Time Not Established 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Time Not Established Time Not Established 84000510 Downstream Locked Successfully

<<ERROR OCCURS ABOUT HERE>>

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    the Superhub is a pile of trash though.
    Have you got the old SuperHub instead of the new SuperHub 2?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Superhub 2.

Thank Post
    I switched it to "modem mode" and bought a decent router to sit behind it - all working nicely now...

5. 3 Thanks to SpuffMonkey:

CAM (5th March 2014), mac_shinobi (5th March 2014), michael2k6 (5th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I switched it to "modem mode" and bought a decent router to sit behind it - all working nicely now...
    When I was with vm before I did the same as @SpuffMonkey and it worked much better !!

Thank Post
    Have you looked at changing the wireless channel?

I had a similar problem, I downloaded a free wifi scanner app and changed the channel to one that wasnt being used in my area.

All works well now.

8. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

CAM (5th March 2014)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm. That's the response I keep seeing regarding the Superhub. Didn't think I'd find a piece of kit worse then the Homehub (even though that only covered half the house!).

Any recommendations? Cisco SOHO kit overkill?

@hardtailstar: Yeah I tried that. I've also tried disabling IP Flood Protection to see if that helps as it was recommended on Google.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Hmmm. That's the response I keep seeing regarding the Superhub. Didn't think I'd find a piece of kit worse then the Homehub (even though that only covered half the house!).

Any recommendations? Cisco SOHO kit overkill?

@hardtailstar: Yeah I tried that. I've also tried disabling IP Flood Protection to see if that helps as it was recommended on Google.
    Some power line adaptors and a couple of either unifi or ruckus AP's?

That or draytek or maybe the newer linksys think its called the wrt1900ac ??

11. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

CAM (5th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Like most ISP-provided equipment, it's really not that perfect - especially for wireless. I'd definitely recommend you switch it into Modem Mode and buy a separate router, that's what I always did; never missed a beat (though I was with the original Superhub, not sure what the new version is like as I unfortunately have to be with BT now due to location)
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 5th March 2014 at 09:14 AM.

13. Thanks to Fleetwood from:

CAM (5th March 2014)

Thank Post
    My router (the VMDG280) does exactly the same thing with the web GUI not responding. The router I have isn't even one of their superhubs either (and it was discontinued before they managed to implement the modem only mode...).

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That WRT router sounds a bit pricey with some heavy April bills looming!

I found this on Amazon for fifty quid though. Any good? Cisco RV110W Wireless-N VPN Firewall - Cisco

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I done this with mine, got a perfectly good Apple Extreme at home with a decent SMB router. Virgin phoned me up a few days ago to give me a free SuperHub if I bought a Tivo package and I said I didn't want either.

When it comes to Virgin router issues the first thing I do is reboot a few times before I phone them. I'm sick of speaking to 1st level support who just go through a crib sheet and then have the cheek to put me through to a third party who wants to charge me to try and fix a Virgin problem.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 5th March 2014 at 02:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    I done this with mine, got a perfectly good Apple Extreme at home with a decent SMB router. Virgin phoned me up a few days ago to give me a free SuperHub if I bought a Tivo package and I said I didn't want either.

When it comes to Virgin router issues the first thing I do is reboot a few times before I phone them. I'm sick of speaking to 1st level support who just go through a crib sheet and then have the cheek to put me through to a third party who wants to charge me to try and fix a Virgin problem.
    I have the 5th gen airport extreme base station which at the time was about £140 ( may be cheaper now as they have the 6th AC gen out now )

I did exactly that regards to the below :

1) Disabling the IP Flood Detection and other firewall features on the VM Super hub
    2) Changed the SSID of the wireless network , increased the dhcp time out value, and also adjusted the wireless channel that it used instead of leaving it on auto, set the speed to a manual setting either 150 mbps or 300 mbps, adjusted the encryption methods it used and possibly some other settings and I did notice that with the super hub I had to make the changes, submit and save the changes, power the superhub off for 5 seconds, power it back on and then the changes I made took effect properly after the reboot but this only allowed the wireless to work for another day and then it fell over again

Forum questions I posted :

Re: Firmware Update to improve wireless - Help & Support Forum

wireless vanished - Help & Support Forum

You can try and go through the list of things I did etc and the other suggestions ref doing a factory default using the pin hole etc, but best way is to set it into modem mode and use a 3rd party router with wireless or a wireless access point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread