+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Detective work - help in General; A memory stick has been found and after a bit of digging we worked out whos it is. It was ...

Thank Post

Detective work - help

A memory stick has been found and after a bit of digging we worked out whos it is. It was also full of stuff that well isn't appropriate in a school so first course of action is to suspend him.

Now the problem is he claims he lost it before half term and swears blind the stuff isn't his. His dad is very shcoked too as they run filters at home to block that kind of access, of course he could be using a proxy.

But my question is is there any way of finding out more info than is displayed with pics, vids and folders as they all are saying they were created before he lost it. Are the dates on these correct or does it jsut relate to the date on the pc and could be "tricked" into thinking it's another date?

Are there anyways of finding out pc name or anything from the files with some clever software?

Thank Post

Re: Detective work - help

There's not any 'genuine' work on there after the alledged lost date is there? Could help your case if there is.

As for software I've not heard of any, sorry.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

get a memory stick and put some files on and then check the dates on that. I'm pretty sure it gives you the date of transfer, because when i backed up work on to my external and transferred it back, i got the transfer date...

*gasp*

or something!!

Thank Post

try restoring any deleted files on the memory stick? even if it fails it should indicate dates that they were last used etc.

I get modified dates when I change anything and transfer dates when they're just copied. However if I copy an old file to my drive I get different modified, accessed and created dates.

Thank Post

> Now the problem is he claims he lost it before half term and swears blind
    > the stuff isn't his. His dad is very shcoked too as they run filters at home
    > to block that kind of access, of course he could be using a proxy.

Or, the evidence would suggest, he could be bringing in / swapping dodgy files with his mates via memory stick at school.

> But my question is is there any way of finding out more info than is
    > displayed with pics, vids and folders as they all are saying they were
    > created before he lost it. Are the dates on these correct or does it jsut
    > relate to the date on the pc and could be "tricked" into thinking it's
    > another date?

There's nothing to stop a utility changing the created/modified/accessed times of a file, although I'd reckon it's unlikely that someone's gone to the trouble just for this pupil's USB drive.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Depends on the files on there. If there are any recent office docs they should have an author or owner, if it is him or a family member name (from having a shared account at home) then he is lying, if it is just pics not alot you can do in that case. If you have data recover software (such as Bad Copy) it would be useful to run it on the stick to see what is there & if that sheds any light.

Thank Post

It might be worthwhile taking the filenames and running searches of pupil data on the server to see if anyone has them in their folders, unlikely but it is possible.

Thank Post

Have a look at that pupil's browsing history for the dates of some of the files - perhaps even export those dates and search for the filenames?

Thank Post

If the file was copied then the Date Created will be the time it was put onto the memorystick.

If the file was moved then the Date Created will be the time it was saved to it's original location.

Not sure that helps at all.

Thank Post

Thanks for the advice.

None of the stuff was done during the school day which is nice but he does appear to have issues with a few other boys in his year who are more than capable of changing the pc's date then copying them to the memory stick.

Running a file recovery there are hundreds of other images and vids that have been deleted so seems he is trying to pull a fast one.

Thank Post

To be fair we have the policy:

Your username, your equipment, your responsibility, your punishment.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    try restoring any deleted files on the memory stick? even if it fails it should indicate dates that they were last used etc.

I get modified dates when I change anything and transfer dates when they're just copied. However if I copy an old file to my drive I get different modified, accessed and created dates.
    Yes use something like getdataback for FAT.

you'll be able to see all the stuff thats been deleted off the disk aswell, provided the filesystem isnt totally shot, which it sounds like its not as you can see the files

Also the created date is accurate providing the computer saving the file has its clock set correctly :P If the files were saved Before he said he lost it, the only defense he would have would be to say that his PC clock is set wrong, and if he has XP it would most likely synch from time.microsoft.com so he can shush and be told off :P

Thank Post

furthermore if u found it in school remember users dont have access rights to change the date of a PC to save things onto it...

so they would have had to of taken it home, set the date back, copy said files, take the pen back to school and place it...

Sounds like a plan too advanced for most of our students, the first thing one thinks of as a student is "DELETE IT AND USE IT FOR MYSELF!! or ... MELT ITTTT!!... or throw it off a bridge at car windows!"

The whole conspiricy thing doesnt come to mind for them :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

The one thing confuses me. If the memory stick just contained his school work, wouldn't any person (normally) report it missing or stolen? I know I would...

I feel that the pupil in question realised he lost the memory stick, but of course wouldn't wish to report it due to the inappropriate content in addition to his school work. It makes sense really.

The pupil has admitted it's his memory stick, only after you have done some investigative work.

Verdict: guilty

Thank Post

I'm with you guys i think he's guilty but the HM wanted to be sure before suspending him

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast