+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How much do you keep for emergencies/unplanned for events? in General; ...

Thank Post

How much do you keep for emergencies/unplanned for events?

When planning your budgets how much of your total budget do you keep for emergencies?

We get a 25k budget and look to reserve 3k for emergencies.
    We also ensure that prices we say for equipment will never be exceeded. E.g. Computer are added as £350 but we tend to get for £310 for classroom machines. This adds to the reserve but isn't guaranteed funds as prices can go near £350.

Should cover a new server if needed, random laptop requests or general failures.
    Last edited by dany2010; 2nd March 2014 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2010 View Post
    When planning your budgets how much of your total budget do you keep for emergencies?

We get a 25k budget and look to reserve 3k for emergencies.
    We also ensure that prices we say for equipment will never be exceeded. E.g. Computer are added as £350 but we tend to get for £310 for classroom machines. This adds to the reserve but isn't guaranteed funds as prices can go near £350.

Should cover a new server if needed, random laptop requests or general failures.
    How big of a school? 25k seems like a small budget unless it is a small primary school. I normally wouldn't set aside more than 5% of the total budget towards emergencies. Your emergency fund is exceeding 10%, which is probably justified with such a low overall budget.

Thank Post
    yep it's very tight. We have 5 sites, over 300 machines, 8 servers, about 30-40 whiteboards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yep it's very tight. We have 5 sites, over 300 machines, 8 servers, about 30-40 whiteboards.
    And 25k is your normal annual budget? I don't know how you keep everything going on that.

Thank Post

How much do you keep for emergencies/unplanned for events?

We don't pay for printers or toners out of that but everything else is.

You get really good at making things last. One site has 6-7 year old machines in the classrooms but adding ram we've got them working with win 7 well enough for what they need without complaints.

Guy over the road would laugh because he had double for a lot less.

Staff wonder why we no longer give laptops to all staff.

Thank Post
    lol you think your budget's tight last year we had 5k for replacing computers, 8k for maintenance out of this we have to buy toners for all departments - we have approx. 650 ageing machines 40 plus interactive boards, over 60 laser printers aprox 40 of them being color, 5 servers, over 3 sites - it's the projectors that break the bank they seem to leave them on 24/7
    it wasnít always like this my budget's gone down from approx. 50k to this over 5 years

as for emergencies/unplanned for events we just hope we donít have any

stef
    Last edited by sjpage10; 2nd March 2014 at 12:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    And 25k is your normal annual budget? I don't know how you keep everything going on that.
    I think you find that to be a fairly common figure for UK schools.

Thank Post
    Thats extreme sjpage.
    The school can survive for a few years and then when the ageing machines start to go wrong your stuffed.

That's what happened to my school before my manager showers up and argued for more budget.

Thank Post
    Thats extreme sjpage.
    The school can survive for a few years and then when the ageing machines start to go wrong your stuffed.

That's what happened to my school before my manager showers up and argued for more budget.
    yes I agree , only we have plans in motion to lay of staff for the next 3 years due to a predicated drop in pupil numbers for the next 5 years
    so no chance of getting any more money. I used to have two technicians now only one !

stef

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    TThat's what happened to my school before my manager showers up and argued for more budget.
    There's the key guys. Make sure your manager takes a shower every once in a while before discussing budgets with the bosses. It's hard to be convincing when all people can think about is "what died in here".

And if he refuses to bathe....the lot of you will just have to hold him down and break out the Brillo pads and pine sol. :-)

11. 3 Thanks to seawolf:

bossman (3rd March 2014), fiza (3rd March 2014), Jamman960 (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    £25k is the same as what we get (we also have a separate fund for toners)...we try and do the same and keep about £3k in reserve for emergencies (I think we've got about £1k of that remaining for this financial year)....out of that we have to replace our PC's.....as of July this year we will have 400 PC's out of warranty and over 5 years old (some PC's are 10 years old now). They are starting to die, and we've been told there is no additional funding to buy any more, so effectively we have to sit here and watch our network die.....looking forward to that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpage10 View Post
    lol you think your budget's tight last year we had 5k for replacing computers, 8k for maintenance out of this we have to buy toners for all departments - we have approx. 650 ageing machines 40 plus interactive boards, over 60 laser printers aprox 40 of them being color, 5 servers, over 3 sites - it's the projectors that break the bank they seem to leave them on 24/7
    it wasn’t always like this my budget's gone down from approx. 50k to this over 5 years

as for emergencies/unplanned for events we just hope we don’t have any

stef
    +This

Not every School has the kind of budget that's needed. Some Schools can manage with failing equipment but there are others like this one here that simply can't get by without the projector. Most classrooms also have the IWB, we recently purchased another 2 managed printers to cope with the printing.

We have around 100 old PCs aged 8-10 Years old another 60 aged 7 Years - And who says PCs cant last more than 5+ Years! The ones that are 10 Years old are taking forever to login. Luckily enough Windows 7+WDS has given a lot of them a new lease of life which will prolong their usage in time for me to get some budget (hopefully).

I have done my audit and replacement plan and hopefully SLT will decide its time to spend the money. I also got the go ahead to upgrade our 100MB network to 1GB (with 10GB main backbone). Our new building which was a test to prove to management what we can do has been fully kitted out with 1GB, new PCs (cost £300), decent projectors and properly laid out so its all spotless tidy. The feedback from this building has been incredibly positive, we have visited the building twice in the space of 4 weeks. And both of those wasn't exactly "failures".

As for the contingency money, I believe its been around 4K but I don't think that's good enough. I am still in the process of giving SLT as much information to plan for next Years budget.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My current work place has no budget so to speak, if we need something, we order it. However we do have a budget if we do an overhaul on the system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Current situation...

No real "contingency fund" or development fund (all maintenance). About £2k is allocated for "repairs". Budget asked for £90k - £100k. Budget allocated £70k. Needless to say we usually come in over budget - oh hum. Currently starting the big coversation with senior leaders about completely rewriting the ICT budget from scratch. Re-examining everything we do with ICT and desiging a new based on the schools vision of the future. To me that means asking for £200k+ budget per year; on the other hand SLT are talking about falling pupil numbers and staffing implications.

Interesting times.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 3rd March 2014 at 01:13 PM.

Thank Post
    When I used to do this I used to plan and spend all my budget and keep nothing back for emergency.
    There will already be a budget for 'Emergency' and so concentrate on using my budget for everything im responsible for.

This is a bit like Hogwarts. 'Money will always be given at Hogwarts, Tecky, to those who ask for it.'

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast