+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, How much do you keep for emergencies/unplanned for events? in General; My annual budget is about 23k + 24k for licences (not just mine but whole school ones like SIMS, Cashless ...
    Thank Post
    My annual budget is about 23k + 24k for licences (not just mine but whole school ones like SIMS, Cashless catering etc). Out of my normal 23k i have to buy all toner for all my 30 printers as well as everything else. I try and leave most of my budget alone until the end of the year then have a nice little chunk to try and do something with (hoping to have saved 1/3 this year!).

I have been very lucky over the last 2-3 years with serious investment being made in the network here from central pots of money, ive had a whole new network (servers, san, switches, ups), as well as replacing all machines in 3 out of 4 of our it suites and replacing all classroom machines to run the whiteboards. In my defense the whole network was 6/7 years old and the switches even older still, some of our whiteboard machines were at least 8 years old as well!

Thank Post
    It depends what you mean by 'emergency'. There used to be a contingency code in our budget but I changed it to "consumables and breakdowns". 'Contingency' was too easy for TBTB to cut to the bone! Last year that accounted for 7,500 or 3% of our overall budget, so perhaps still too easy to cut. I don't really count most consumables (laptop batteries, chargers etc) as 'emergency' since they are reasonably predictable. Given the lack of true contingency, we just juggle; if something critical and big fails then something else big just won't be done.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    And 25k is your normal annual budget? I don't know how you keep everything going on that.
    Mate - come to Wales, that will give you an crash course of "network mgmt on a budget"

500 PCs here, 60 classrooms. I've had yearly budget as high as 45k (this year) and as low as 5k (a few years ago).

Lack of finance sure makes life more difficult than it needs to be for me!

4. Thanks to AButters from:

rich_tech (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our allocation varies a lot per year, I basically write a budget proposal outlining what is essential and what I would like to do. I generally get most of what I ask for; some years I've got as much as 30k, other years drastically less. Contingency is based on my judgement of what could fail outside of the normal replacement program (from the main budget) and is usually around 3k. However this usually gets used for other stuff as April approaches. Toner budget is separate.

For comparison we are a primary with 600ish kids.

I think I might move to Oz to get the kind of budget @seawolf gets to enjoy

Thank Post
    When people are saying what their budgets are, do they have to take their broadband charges out of that pot to or does that come out of a separate pot? We get around 80,000 a year, but we have to get our licensing and leased line charges out of that too. We don't have an emergency limit set in stone its a case of something criterial they will just use the whole school pot.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The 70k-100k I mentioned above is for everything. Broadband, Software licencing (inc. MIS, etc), Consumables, Repairs, Equipment Upgrades, etc. For information we are a High School with around 800 pupils and 100 staff, give or take.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    When people are saying what their budgets are, do they have to take their broadband charges out of that pot to or does that come out of a separate pot? We get around 80,000 a year, but we have to get our licensing and leased line charges out of that too. We don't have an emergency limit set in stone its a case of something criterial they will just use the whole school pot.
    We have the following budgets:
    • IT (main budget)
    • Broadband
    • Licences
    • Contingency

The figures I quoted above was just for the main IT budget.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The 70k-100k I mentioned above is for everything.
    Still a lot more than my budget, in fact if I had that amount I could make a massive improvement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Still a lot more than my budget, in fact if I had that amount I could make a massive improvement.
    Doesn't go as far as you might first imagine. 20k for broadband, 6k or so for SIMS and Microsoft licencing, 18k for printing. Soon adds up. We also have abour 3.5x the number of PC's (350 to your 100?) and a 5yr refresh rate rather than 10... Spend about 20k or so replacing PC's and teachers laptops each year. At the low end of the scale, that's the budget gone before we look at projectors, whiteboards, servers, switches, etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Doesn't go as far as you might first imagine. 20k for broadband, 6k or so for SIMS and Microsoft licencing, 18k for printing. Soon adds up. We also have abour 3.5x the number of PC's (350 to your 100?) and a 5yr refresh rate rather than 10... Spend about 20k or so replacing PC's and teachers laptops each year. At the low end of the scale, that's the budget gone before we look at projectors, whiteboards, servers, switches, etc.
    We have around 600 PCs/Laptops, same facilities as you by the looks of things. We have no budget for projectors/IWBs which I am hoping to change.

Only positive news is the fact that we have purchased our network upgrade with full HP Procurve setup, give or take a few small switches here and there + Wireless upgrade. Totalling about 74k worth of kit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    When people are saying what their budgets are, do they have to take their broadband charges out of that pot to or does that come out of a separate pot?
    Ours includes all software licences, services inc broadband, subscriptions, capital projects, support contracts, student printing, cabling, telephone support etc. We have an unusual site and have to cover 19 separate buildings, 200 teaching staff, 2000 students, probably around 1200+ PC's, Laptops, Chromebooks etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters
    Mate - come to Wales, that will give you an crash course of "network mgmt on a budget"

500 PCs here, 60 classrooms. I've had yearly budget as high as 45k (this year) and as low as 5k (a few years ago).

Lack of finance sure makes life more difficult than it needs to be for me!
    Indeed!

Once all the various things are taken out (licensing, LEA support etc), we are left with under 1K!

So no chance of an 'emergency allowance' here! (If something does go very wrong we have to go and beg).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12