+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, When do you run your updates ? in General; ...

Thank Post

When do you run your updates ?

So we have been hit by single status and from Monday I can no longer arrive at work 6.15am like I used to

what I would normally do was go in early to run the updates for Pars/Insight (that come in almost daily) and sort out any other network updates/ issues before staff arrived and begin logging on to the system, usually I would have the system back online between 7.30am and 8.00am - however now I will have to arrive after 7.00am so may well run into morning registration that begins at 8.20am for us (we finish at 2.40)
    I have been told I will have to run these now at night, however this creates the problem that some staff stay behind logged on to the system till around 5.00pm also I donít really think itís wise running updates before the antivirus and backups have ran. As if an update screws everything up a dayís work will be lost when itís restored from the previous day.

i'll just have to lock them all of the system at 2.40am and then run the updates without backups and see how long it takes one of them to come crying at me.

To be honest I canít wait for it to fall apart then I will just laugh at them, sadly though it will be me who has to put it all right 

Just wondered what your thoughts on the matter are ?

Stef

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Have you detailed for them what you do and why you do it when you do? And what will happen if you cannot do it anymore?
    I feel your pain - I tend to run my updates on a Sunday evening when I know noone is on the system and I can reboot the servers as well if I need to.

Thank Post
    At the uni we deploy them in "Phases" for our Production servers,
    Using the phases, we release & install them via SCCM on a Tuesday or Wednesday and then have a Maintenance Window to reboot them the following Monday night at 22:00 - so we can check them on Tuesday during something called "Janet At Risk" - a 2 hour window set by JANET for minor maintenance.

Thank Post
    It won't all fall apart - a system barely maintained could run for months without any noticeable to the common user problems.

Why don't have an agreement to come in early once every couple of weeks to run updates? What requires an hour and a half of daily updates?

Thank Post
    It won't all fall apart - a system barely maintained could run for months without any noticeable to the common user problems.

yes quite true, until it goes wrong then you find the backups haven't ran for the last few months lol

Why don't have an agreement to come in early once every couple of weeks to run updates

we cant come in before 7 anymore full stop

What requires an hour and a half of daily updates?

you've got to remember to account for the time it takes to make and drink the tea in this

true not many things - I just like to have the window so i know I can use that time undisturbed - our usual problem is something doesn't run in the night say a backup or the antivirus, so we get the extra hour and half to run it again before anyone starts logging on

not only that but once the day starts the majority of our time (myself and my technician) is spent supporting staff and students in the classroom - so we have very little time for maintenance , installs ,upgrades or fixing broken kit. We have no external support or warranties and the school has a approx. 650 computers and they are never prepared to wait till the school holidays to have things working again.

stef
    Last edited by sjpage10; 2nd March 2014 at 06:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Pick a day and time for releasing patches, make end-users aware of this and stick to that schedule.

Thursday is our patch day. Updates are released at midday and scheduled for install at 4pm (unless someone clicks "do it now").

Teacher know this and (mostly) plan for it.

Thank Post
    define "updates"?

When i read the title i assumed windows updates, all these i have setup in SCCM, maintenance windows restrict when a machine can restart, which is generally done after 9pm. As for servers, these are done manually (Can't bring myself to let SCCM do it lol) tI do these at night, then claim overtime for it. (All VMs so no worries about them not coming back up) the only servers i won't update remotely will be the DC for our infrastructure and the server i remote to, both of these are easily updated during working hours though. As for my physical servers or the VMware ESXi patches, i do these in the middle of the day without issue thanks to vMotion.

Can't think of anything else i need to update besides software, but those updates are rolled out either by SCCM or manually if it's some PITA software.

Thank Post
    I don't get down-time to do updates. I'm told they're not important, usually accompanied by an imperious, dismissive wave of the hand.

Cool. Fine by me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread