+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Try and find a desk. in General; I need to try and find a desk which is taller than the one below. We are installed a desktop ...

Thank Post

Try and find a desk.

I need to try and find a desk which is taller than the one below. We are installed a desktop (SFF)

This desk is so low that the teacher is hurting her back. I need a desk which is much higher but which can fit into the same width as the current desk.

Not having much luck so far.

Thank-you.

Try and find a desk.-img_0106.jpg

Thank Post
    Why dont you extend the desk. Add legs or raise it in some other way?

Such as this from IkeaHackers http://www.ikeahackers.net/2014/02/n...ightening.html

Edit: You might want to look at these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20049538/ or similar. But, from the photo you posted, I would also be tempted to add some support to the bottom of the 'desk' to spread the load over the bottom.

Don't know what your situation is, guessing a primary school/classroom, but we would probably make this ourselves or ask the woodwork/design department to help.
    Last edited by fs171; 27th February 2014 at 08:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spacebar View Post
    I need to try and find a desk which is taller than the one below. We are installed a desktop (SFF)
    Would a shelf of some kind bolted to the wall do the trick? Either that or put the PC at the bottom of (or behind) the desk and put the monitor on a positionable arm bolted to the wall?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions but the school is very health and safety and would not allow add ons. Its a primary classroom.

The walls are unfortunately constructed from weak 1970's plasterboard to hardly anything heavy can be fixed to them unless its on one of the joints.

Thank Post
    The first issue is that it is not a desk currently, it is a storage unit. It would not meet ergonomic requirements (can't sit with feet flat as there is the shelf, wrong height for arms, eyes, back) to sit at a computer (Health and Safety?!). If you want something more of a standing desk you could use one of these (without dimensions I'm guessing) Childrens Storage Solutions STUVA - IKEA
    Or you could use ALVE Laptop table - IKEA

It depends on what the PC will be used for and how long. If it is a significant period of time or admin centered job i would look to relocate the desk/pc or the whole units. If you want to compromise on one (vital) aspect of H&S, and possibly cause one member of staff pain, to meet the requirements of not altering what is already there to meet the ergonomic requirements (more so) just because of the possibility of something happening to a slightly modified piece of static furniture.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    They can't be that h&s conscious if they are allowing a member of staff to use that piece of furniture as a workstation it is totally unsuitable.

They need to sort it out and get something decent in there.

Ben

7. Thanks to plexer from:

fs171 (28th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Is it possible to rejig the room? Surely the drawers in front of the IWB could be better placed as well?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have a talk to a few commercial (business) furniture business, They can generally source stuff at all sorts of sizes or if not they will have the ability to custom build or refer you to someone that can.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread