+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Golf in General; Do we have any keen Edugeek golfers???? I started playing last June (as soon as I got back from my ...

Thank Post

Golf

Do we have any keen Edugeek golfers????

I started playing last June (as soon as I got back from my honeymoon) and I absolutely love it! What's your handicap? Where do you play?

If there's enough interest, I could try and persuade the powers that be to sort out an annual Edugeek Golf Tournament with a cool prize!

Luke

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do the driving range often enough, but dont do golf often enough (not many of my friends play). I can wack a ball around 300 yards and when on the range if the wind is in my favour, if no wind its around 250 yards.

I play with my father in law when he is over (using his clubs, as when I get some people to play with more often, I will buy my own full set). I play at Chalgrave course or Tilsworth Golf course. If I remember rightly at Tilsworth my handicap is 19, and Chalgrave it is 17 (taken from my last 3 outings, Will check scorecards later and work it out properly for you)

3. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

Millgate (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Keen Golfer here :-)

I've been playing getting on towards 10 years now (blimey is it really that long?!?), don't really have the time I'd like to devote to it but still try to play once a week during the summer. I'm a member here Davenport Golf Club and my current handicap is 23 (came down from 26 last year. I've got my first outing of the year this Saturday, so have come into work with the clubs in the car to hit the driving range so I don't look a complete idiot on Saturday :-)

5. Thanks to Iain.Faulkner from:

Thank Post
    I've been playing through the winter and I think it's made me a better player. Handicap is still 28 but I haven't handed any cards in since last August so I think that will come down in the summer.

I'm a member here - Waterfront Golf - it's a fairly new 9 hole course but it's great. I'm thinking about moving to here in May though - Sandhill Golf Club

Thank Post
    I've played all over, started when I was 8 with a half set of junior clubs, my Dad was a keen golfer and we used to go up to Scotland twice a year and play, my uncle plays off scratch at Beverley, both my brothers play with 18-20 handicap, I got serious in my teens and got down to a 14 handicap when I was a member at Harrogate (won an under 18's competition), then didn't play again until my mid 20's and again got quite serious and got my handicap down to 8 but then stopped playing. The last time I hit a ball was over ten years ago when I borrowed my brothers clubs and played with a friend, still managed to go round in 14 over, what surprised me was how much the club technology had moved on since I bought my last set some 10 years earlier, I was hitting balls a hell of a lot further, took a bit of getting used to. I played with my uncle once at Beverley when I was playing off 14, all I can say is wow, it was amazing just how accurate he was, my short game is pretty good but his was just awesome and his putting was superb. I will play again but not until I retire now, I just don't have the time. Gone are the days when I had the time to play 3-4 rounds a week.

8. Thanks to Vegas from:

Thank Post
    I've played on and off over the years. We have about 8-10 staff that all we play and in half terms etc we have society days where we all go an play and then have lunch and a beer in the clubhouse after. The place where i play is quite cheap membership as well at £300 for the use of 4 courses (if your lucky enough to be under 30!).

The geography teacher here used to be a pro so he will help the rest of us out with improving our game which is always nice. Need to get back out on the course as haven't played in nearly a year! When playing alot i would go round in about a 20-24 handicap but when i play after not playing for a few months it would be considerably worse and i have been known to lose the plot and walk off the course!!

10. 2 Thanks to DSapseid:

featured_spectre (27th February 2014), Millgate (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    IWhen playing alot i would go round in about a 20-24 handicap but when i play after not playing for a few months it would be considerably worse and i have been known to lose the plot and walk off the course!!
    Glad it isn't just me that does that! haha. If I haven't played in a while, my swing is awful, and takes me a good few rounds to get better.

Thank Post
    my trouble is i develop a lovely slice where it will go 250 yards straight then take a hard right and go another 150 yards right!! On the odd occasion i do hit a straight one it goes 300+. My trouble is i bring my chest through the ball first before the club head so im cutting accoss the ball on impact, yet when i try and do this on dog legs i hook it!! haha

Thank Post
    I'm a keen golfer. My current handicap is 2. I was at Ross-on-Wye last season, but have since joined Lilley brook in Cheltenham after moving house.

I maintained +1 for about 10 years during my youth, but time, beer and women put pay to that.
    @kennysarmy is also a golf nut local to me here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like something good could happen. However I wouldn't be up for a tournament, just a driving range competition as I could assure you I would come last in the course. lol. Haven't been on a good course for many years, and havent been on my own turf (so to speak) for over 9 months now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Used to play off 18 but since having a family and other interests (MotorGP n Superbikes) have not played a serious round of Golf in 10 years but when the opportunity arrises I do play for pleasure if invited to Golf days.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Been driving range laods of times, only been on a a full 18 twice, maybe three times, would love to spend more time playing, but i dislike going during the school holidays and weekends, the fussy sod that i am.

Thank Post
    Social golfer playing off a 2 handicap, was playing off 1 about 10 years ago but not had the time recently to play that often. Play with my hacker mates in the summer evenings at various courses and for the school staff team (although I appear to play off 9 for the school....) To be honest glad I have given up the grind of membership and playing in all weathers as I have officially retired from playing from October half term to Easter other than a few driving range sessions to keep the swing going.

Thank Post
    I have been playing ( if I can call it that) around 4 years now, like a previous poster it's usually between Easter and October. me and a colleague play at the munies In Leeds, my colleague is also a member at Willow Valley so I have played there a handful of times (when I have thought my swing is up to it). i have had a few rounds around the 85 mark but I am usually anywhere between 93 and 113 depending on how hard the course is, I couldn't believe how much i liked playing even though i am not that good.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I love a round of golf but don't have too many chances to play anymore because none of my new mates here in Suffolk play. I don't/wouldn't play enough to warrant membership anywhere so I just go to the driving range every so often and then participate in the staff v parents annual compo here at the school.

My handicap is a well earned 28

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast