+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I hate internet explorer in General; We have a person who does marketing for us, and he has been writing an email to go off to ...

Thank Post

I hate internet explorer

We have a person who does marketing for us, and he has been writing an email to go off to a bunch of prospects, and in the email is a link to a "secret" area on our website. It's full of public info, like images, brochures, etc but you have to be in the know to get to it. Anyway, he said when he copied the link from my email to him (which worked) into another email, it lost functionality. I thought perhaps it was coping in all of the OWA crap that it includes in a url, so I suggested he open the link and copy it from the address bar of the browser. Nup, still didn't work.

Anyway he comes in and we get onto his W8 laptop so he can show me the problem. He fires off internet explorer, goes to our OWA and opens a draft email. It's all plain text. So I says, he needs to select the html format button on the top of the email composing screen, except that it isn't there. Now I knew that I wasn't going do-lally, there should be an html button, so I fire off IE on my desktop, goes to OWA and it's all different. I have many more formatting options that he is seeing. I wondered if it that old chestnut we get, where things don't work in IE but they do in Chrome, Firefox, etc. On his laptop, I fire up Chrome, go to OWA and have him login. Bingo! It all works fine; he has all the missing options, so he can format his emails in html. This is the first time, I've seen an M$ site not work in an M$ browser. He said he was quite happy using Chrome.

I keep telling people to use Chrome. It works much better. Go to our moodle and you can drag and drop files onto it, but not in IE. Go to our staff portal (Joomla) and the lightbox plugins display completely, but not in IE. (This is quite fun; the X to close the popup isn't displayed in IE, but if you hover over the place where it should be, and click the popup closes correctly.) The library catalog system works in Chrome but not in IE. (Really good this - type something into the seach box and IE sits there looking stupid when you click "Search".) The only reason they have to use IE is to mark registers; our MIS uses ClickOnce and without an extension, it doesn't work in Chrome. Although apparently it will on a Chromebook; shame we don't have any.

The staff will keep using IE and I will keep pointing out to them it is carp and things will work better in Chrome.

Rant over and breathe.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    IE has been the bane of many a web dev's life for years. How MS can continue to push that carp out is beyond me, it's shameful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Inter NOT Explorer

4. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Poults (28th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Do you use exchange? If so there is a problem with IE11 if you are using Exchange 2010 SP2 and lower I think. We had a similar problem, updated Exchange to latest SP and updates and its all working fine now.

Thank Post
    Nothing works in internet explorer, never had any problems with chrome or firefox

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman85 View Post
    Nothing works in internet explorer, never had any problems with chrome or firefox
    No nothing works in internet explorer, never ever

I hate internet explorer-ieworking.jpg

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    No nothing works in internet explorer, never ever

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IEworking.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	23050
    Not sure why you're getting so defensive over IE, it is well known that it's a piece of carp. Just about every website you have ever used will have to have employed some sort of workaround to make it display properly in IE; it's just an awful browser.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You just have to look at the changes between IE6 and IE11, to see how much work people have had to do to keep websites working properly in that FSM-forsaken browser.

Like with Frog - works fine in IE 9. You have to have it in compatibility mode in IE 10, and NOT in compatibility mode in IE 11! So, if you have a mixed environment, you can end up with a right mess.

We standardise on saying "use Chrome" now. Although, it has issues with Frog! Lol

Thank Post
    I am not getting defensive over IE, It was stated Internet Explorer never works. I therefore have discovered a miracle in the fact I have something working on it, so I have posted for all to share!

I use IE, Firefox and Chrome on my machine I am no fanboi of any particular browser. Guess a sense of humour has disappeared in this forum.

Thank Post
    I am not getting defensive over IE, It was stated Internet Explorer never works. I therefore have discovered a miracle in the fact I have something working on it, so I have posted for all to share!
    It's no miracle - I'm willing to bet a lot of hacks were put in place to make that work!

I use IE, Firefox and Chrome on my machine I am no fanboi of any particular browser. Guess a sense of humour has disappeared in this forum.
    It's been a long day and I'm irritable - must remember to employ sense of humour before I go on the attack!

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

TronXP (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    As a dev, I have to spend extra time making sure stuff looks pretty in IE and actually works

Thank Post
    Here's an interesting test you can do yourself - go to this website in each browser you have installed, I'll be surprised if IE doesn't score the lowest: HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

For me:
    Chrome 33: 505
    IE 11: 369

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Here's an interesting test you can do yourself - go to this website in each browser you have installed, I'll be surprised if IE doesn't score the lowest: HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

For me:
    Chrome 33: 505
    IE 11: 369
    For me :

Firefox v27.01: 448
    Chrome v33: 505
    IE 8 : 43
    IE 11 : 369

Re-tested chrome and showing 505 now, doh.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 26th February 2014 at 04:06 PM.

Thank Post
    IE11: 376
    Chrome: 503
    Safari: 412

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ie11 376
    chrome : 505
    firefox 27.0.1 : 448
    Last edited by Tesla; 26th February 2014 at 04:05 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast