+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anyone ever feel bad taking a day off work ill? in General; Hi guys, Title says it all really. Today is another sick day, following one I had a week ago. Been ...

Thank Post

Anyone ever feel bad taking a day off work ill?

Hi guys,

Title says it all really. Today is another sick day, following one I had a week ago.

Been having headaches on and off and the doctor said I need to get glasses. (Still need to get that sorted).

But today I woke up with this THROBBING in the back of my head. Thought it went last night.

Anyone feel bad for taking time off work?

Thank Post
    yup, even taking annual leave makes me feel guilty.

3. 2 Thanks to timbo343:

jpaterson (26th February 2014), Oaktech (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I feel not one iota of guilt for taking any time off to which I am entitled be that sick days (of which there are few) or annual leave (of which there is my full entitlement).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Best get the eyes sorted @Bradlys it could improve life greatly for you.

In the past I had two operations where I was signed off for 6 weeks both times. Partly because I wanted to get mobile again quickly and partly from feeling obliged I was back to work (my previous job) within 2 weeks both times. In the long run my loyalty wasn't rewarded as I was made redundant a couple of years later anyhow.

Thank Post
    I do feel guilty when I have time off, I think everyone does to some extent if they care about their colleagues and their job. Though we shouldn't, if you're unable to work then you're unable to work, I had a week off due to having sun stroke, sun bathed in Barmouth with no sun cream on and fell asleep haha I was completely red. The vomiting and the pain wasn't so funny back then though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I get headaches a lot, i started wearing glasses last year and it seemed to have an improvement, but since the turn of the year, they have become more regular again.

I generally do feel bad yes, if i have a headache at work i tend to try leave early but after the majority of staff have left.
    I also have an ongoing issue with my shin (undiagnosed, almost certain it's shin splints), and i don't want to go see my GP about it, as i'd hate to be signed off for a long time, and i'm generally a bit worried what they'd say.

Thank Post
    Hell no I don't feel bad!

Thank Post
    Kinda. I don't feel guilty, because I'll often show up on lack of sleep or all bunged up (or on lack of sleep because I'm all bunged up, like right now) if I still feel I'm able to work. I do, however, worry that it may be taken in a negative light and reflect upon me as a 'bad' employee.

Strangely, this is only with sickness. I had half a day yesterday because of a leak in my kitchen that needs sorted and informed school I may very well need to have more time as the investigatory (and hopefully repair) work gets done, and wasn't worried at all.

I guess maybe I'm just worried they'll think I'm 'pulling a sickie' rather than genuinely ill. A lot of my time off is just 'one day' things because the next day, as much as I'm still not 'cured', I'm sufficiently better to be able to work.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 26th February 2014 at 10:31 AM.

Thank Post
    In the past when I first started in my current position I would worry about things not getting done if I was off ill. I was young and eager to help out whenever I could.

I've been in this job since 2005, so these days I don't feel any guilt at all. If the problem is very serious, another member of the team I work in can deal with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dont feel guilty any more, however I used too, and I would make up the time as well. No longer bother unless it comes out of my pay.

Thank Post
    I used to get very very bad migraines until I went and got my eyes tested, turns out my vision is really bad. Been wearing glasses for a year now and all sorted.

I do feel guilty for taking time off too but then remember that taking one day is nothing in comparison to what others take.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I guess it also depends on how you work, i am the only IT person in this place, so when im off it can probably have a bigger effect than someone who works as part of a larger team being off.

14. Thanks to Tesla from:

hallb15 (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel guilty that the other people in my office have to get by a man down, but they're competent enough that I don't worry about leaving the network in their hands.

I would rather - for me or my techs - have a couple of days off and get it out the way than struggle in and end up making it worse and needing to be off longer, or breaking something because I can't think straight.

Thank Post
    Nup. If you are not well, stay at home. You can't work at anywhere near capacity when you are ill, and you might well make others ill. Next thing you know, the entire team is out.

When I used to work in facilities management, people where always beavering away late into the night and coming in next morning, completely shattered. Next they would go down with some lurgy and be off for a few days. I always went home when the 5 o'clock whistle went, came in next morning and was the most efficient worker and was never off sick either. Win for me, big win for the company.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I started work in 1985 and up until 2012 I had taken 5 days off work ill in total. I've now doubled that figure since then as it's taken me this long to realise your health is much more important than any job. Stuff it. Stuff them. Stuff everything.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast