+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anyone ever feel bad taking a day off work ill? in General; Originally Posted by witch Up until I dropped a computer on my toe and broke it, I had had 3 ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Up until I dropped a computer on my toe and broke it, I had had 3 days off sick in 5 years. I only took two days for the toe, and I felt bad about that at the time. I delayed a foot op for a long time because I felt so bad but in the end I had to have it done and I am currently entering week 4 of 6 weeks off (minimum)
    Surprisingly I don't feel too bad about work - I am trying to keep up with what is going on and wandering around both my servers after hours to check on things.
    The only worry I have is that one of my jobs will decide that the one outside tech visit per week is enough, and they don't need me any more! What they don't understand is that people won't bring their little nagging problems to the outside tech...

What does annoy me is that I have worked in one place for 10 years, and the other for 4 and I haven't even had a get well card, not to mention a bunch of flowers (that everyone else seems to get). Just shows how much I am thought of doesn't it
    EduHugs all round @witch

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    What does annoy me is that I have worked in one place for 10 years, and the other for 4 and I haven't even had a get well card, not to mention a bunch of flowers (that everyone else seems to get). Just shows how much I am thought of doesn't it
    Welcome to Education. Where, if you aren't a teacher, nobody cares if you're injured.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Welcome to Education. Where, if you aren't a teacher, nobody cares if you're injured.
    You almost had it right.
    (Obligatory bootnote that some do care and this is exaggerated satire. But still happens. Sometimes.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    You almost had it right.
    (Obligatory bootnote that some do care and this is exaggerated satire. But still happens. Sometimes.)
    That was actually what I put originally...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to think i'd get something from work if i was off for a while, the admin person who generally is in charge of flowers and get wells etc is a very nice person and seems to actually respect what i do here

be good to see if i'd be correct though...

Thank Post
    @witch, Are you employed by the school as in your on there payroll or do you work there in some 3rd party type of way?
    Reason I ask is it took me a while for some people to accept me. The old techs were not allowed to talk to the teachers. ?!?
    Where as I see myself as approachable and have a bit of a chat when I'm mending things. Some treat me just as someone that mends stuff. While others have now added me on facebook as friends .

I know it sucks as my schools employ me through my business, so I'm technically not a member of staff. Since working in the schools for myself its a case of if I don't turn up I have to make time up else where normally. So if I'm ill I will shuffle my days around this has worked well so far. Think I have done it twice once with the sickness bug and once when we had our baby. The schools seam happy with that.
    I'm going in for a op soon, where i cant drive for 2 weeks, the way it turns out is that I will miss a day in one school and 2 in the other. But I should be able to help remotly in that time, or if drastic get a lift in or have someone on call. I feel a bit guilty about this as its just me. If i was part of a bigger team or employed directly by the school where sick leave is allowed i would feel less guilty.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Oh, they will... I have two members of staff out of four of us with some sort of disciplinary file open for illness. One on a verbal warning for being half an hour late reporting that they would be off and one on a written warning for having 5 days off sick in 6 months (there is more history on this one however.)
    The 'More History' quote tells a bit of a story, actually.

In my case, before they took away the first two days pay of any sick leave, over eight years you could count my total sick leave on the fingers of two hands, because back then, I would drag myself in no matter what. I always believed that I could sit here and do something, anything, and the other guy could do all the visiting deskside support stuff. And vice versa when he's been ill and comes in. So I have virtually no history to speak of, and to expect me to alter my non-working life to accommodate my working life (over and above getting in on time, etc), is an option that's just not on the table.

This whole thread astounds me, really, in that we mostly all work in schools, which are full of young and younger people who are prone to all manner of youth-related illnesses, diseases and random little bugs, and yet, almost universally, we're being taken to task for coming into contact with them, falling ill and needing time off. On top of that, here, we make a Big Thing of student attendance, begging, imploring, almost demanding that kids come in when they're ill. Really, we should be getting Danger Money, of a sort.

This country is, truly, becoming a strange place to live.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agree completly, working in a special school for kids with autism, generally personal hygiene amongst the kids is very poor, there is a high sickness turnaround here, but many parents send their kids in when they're ill, which in turn makes staff ill, but most of the staff will drag themselves in, which makes the situation worse, saying that, we still have an awful amounts of staff absenses, so if they all went home ill, it would be a disaster here, we just wouldn't be able to cope if everyone that was feeling ill was off.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    Nup. If you are not well, stay at home. You can't work at anywhere near capacity when you are ill, and you might well make others ill. Next thing you know, the entire team is out.
    Yeah in an old job, I went off with a friend on the same shift and we both picked up some kind of very infectious viral infection. We both felt rotten but went in anyway. I lasted half of our first night back on shift and she made it about 3/4 of a way through that night. We both ended up needing about a month or 6 weeks off ill. In the time we were in we managed to pass on the virus to everyone else on our shift, who passed it to the majority of other people on the day shifts as they handed over to them. Some people were less affected than others but everyone who was infected needed at least one week off to recover.

Now, when I am ill, I have no issue with staying at home. The alternative is much worse. I had zero guilt when I caught swine flu and needed two weeks off with that...
    Last edited by Roberto; 26th February 2014 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel terrible about it, even more so if it's on the day I come out to support my primaries. Mostly because I know I have to rearrange visits with all involved. But I know I put the hours in so it doesn't worry me too much.
    I had an ear off (twice) since starting where I am now for a major rebuilding operation and in both circumstances was back the day after I was home (first op Tuesday, released Wednesday morning, back to work Thursday - second was Friday so back on Monday). Mostly because I'm perfectly capable of doing 90% of my job sat at my desk. Besides, it was funny scaring some of the kids with a terrific (and fresh!) scar around my ear

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, I never feel guilty about taking time off sick. I am employed by the college, not owned by them. My list of priorities is as such:

My family and my girlfriend
    Me
    My work

My own health comes way above the needs of the college. If they don't like that, too bad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    @witch, Are you employed by the school as in your on there payroll or do you work there in some 3rd party type of way?
    Reason I ask is it took me a while for some people to accept me. The old techs were not allowed to talk to the teachers. ?!?
    Where as I see myself as approachable and have a bit of a chat when I'm mending things. Some treat me just as someone that mends stuff. While others have now added me on facebook as friends .
    I am employed directly by the school. I do have friendly colleagues at both schools and I pride myself on being approachable and helpful. I think it is just that I am not really close to anyone other than the couple of people I know outside school. I just thought that a bunch of flowers from the admin, or a get well card might be sort of standard.But it may be that it is the people who work directly with the sick person who undertake to get the card and flowers and as I don't actually work with anyone, that won't happen. After 10 years though,I would hope they would have thought of me a bit.
    I have had a conversation with one head who rang to ask me a question about some work (I had stated that I was happy to help where I could ) and he did ask how I was, but I have heard NOTHING from the other head. Not even an acknowledgement of an email I sent detailing my revised working hours when I get back .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I do feel guilty when I have time off, I think everyone does to some extent if they care about their colleagues and their job. Though we shouldn't, if you're unable to work then you're unable to work.
    Likewise, think Alex is doing all my thoughts for the week.

I do my best to avoid the guilt but it still sits there, I really do care about my job and this School to the point I want things to be perfect (even though its a mission).

Thank Post
    @witch Yeah I'd also assume that you would have got a card or something then.

Thank Post
    My Place have been absolutely wonderful with time off, if needed for family or sickness. For random days off or appointment we can make up the time in the holidays, as we get 11 weeks off a year.

I'm awaiting a date for surgery soon and there's been no gripe what so ever with me having time off.

Which after working in the private sector where if you have a hour off you get a scolding for 15 years is an absolute blessing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast