+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anyone ever feel bad taking a day off work ill? in General; ALL THE TIME! I walked around with a weeks sick note in my bag in January. Didn't use it as ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ALL THE TIME!

I walked around with a weeks sick note in my bag in January. Didn't use it as i guessed that being sat at home stressing about things not happening at work would make me worse.

I do have to remind myself that you dont get an award for struggling into work if you're feeling rubbish.

Thank Post
    I always feel bad about it too, unless its totally unavoidable - I recently took two days off as I had a dentist appointment (wasn't allowed to drive for 24 hours after the procedure etc.) and I put two days annual leave in for that...
    Sometimes it's probably best if you feel really unwell as it's really easy to make mistakes while feeling under the weather, personally I've never taken a single day off sick in 6 years...

Thank Post
    yes and no at the same time as when I'm ill its normally when I'm in the middle of a project or start of the year when stuff needs to be jiggled abit to work as it was ment to.
    but if its when its quiet and im ill then I just sleep the whole time and that I look forward to as I don't sleep well most of the time

Thank Post
    I used to feel terribly guilty until County took away my Outer London Fringe Allowance and the first two days pay of any sick leave, while leaving the Teaching Staff's in place. Effectively, they turned me into a second-class employee, tacitly implying that all Support Staff in schools are lazy, sickie-throwing, uncommitted ne'er-do-wells.

So now, no, I don't feel guilty anymore, I don't do anything outside of my contracted hours or duties, no more favours, no more remote access, no more dragging myself in. I don't get paid for two days, so I'm going to take them off if I need to, and I'll just cut my cloth accordingly that month.

Thank Post
    We have a saying here: You don't call in sick, you call in dead or you turn up.

6. Thanks to Oaktech from:

IWDave (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I hate being off sick - I always feel guilty. Even while I feel terrible and know that being at work would be bad for both me and my colleagues. I feel doubly bad if I'm ill with something that doesn't affect my thinking power (a cold or sinusitis makes your head fuzzy, but limb or back pain for example doesn't affect your ability to think - well depending on the drugs ofc). I once had a mybomian cyst and couldn't see out of one eye - felt really bad about not being able to see enough to drive to work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guilty? Why, I'm sick, its stupid to feel guilty, plus if its infectious I'd feel bad about spreading it around. We'd have less time off overall and better general health if people stayed off when ill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    That's just plain dumb.

9. Thanks to sparkeh from:

IWDave (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    That's just plain dumb.
    Yes, it is, but after the spanish inquisition about why you were ill and how ill you really were, and the form filling and the return to work interview. Its just easier to come in regardless.

11. Thanks to Oaktech from:

ButterflyMoon (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Up until I dropped a computer on my toe and broke it, I had had 3 days off sick in 5 years. I only took two days for the toe, and I felt bad about that at the time. I delayed a foot op for a long time because I felt so bad but in the end I had to have it done and I am currently entering week 4 of 6 weeks off (minimum)
    Surprisingly I don't feel too bad about work - I am trying to keep up with what is going on and wandering around both my servers after hours to check on things.
    The only worry I have is that one of my jobs will decide that the one outside tech visit per week is enough, and they don't need me any more! What they don't understand is that people won't bring their little nagging problems to the outside tech...

What does annoy me is that I have worked in one place for 10 years, and the other for 4 and I haven't even had a get well card, not to mention a bunch of flowers (that everyone else seems to get). Just shows how much I am thought of doesn't it
    Last edited by witch; 26th February 2014 at 10:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it is, but after the spanish inquisition about why you were ill and how ill you really were, and the form filling and the return to work interview. Its just easier to come in regardless.
    Guess I have been lucky to work at places where they want to keep ill members of staff away from the healthy ones.

14. 2 Thanks to sparkeh:

Garacesh (26th February 2014), Oaktech (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Man flue is the only time I'll have time off, but even then, day 1 is always phoned through as working from home (and I will), if however day 2 is no better or worse, I'll call it in as ill. But in most cases this has always happened during school holidays, so it doesn't really cause any problems, its just bad timing for me. I hate blue forms on my desk on arrival, they drive me mental!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That reminds me of a story about a teacher at my old secondary school.

One day he phoned up to say he'd broken his leg, so the staff assumed he was saying he would be off for a while.

2 hours later, to everyone's surprise, he turned up to work.

Nobody realised he had a false leg and was just going to be late as he had to fix it.

17. 8 Thanks to X-13:

abillybob (26th February 2014), Bradlys (27th February 2014), Garacesh (26th February 2014), hardtailstar (26th February 2014), IWDave (26th February 2014), Oaktech (26th February 2014), sparkeh (26th February 2014), synaesthesia (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I've only ever felt guilty when I was forced to have two days off for an operation which needed 24 hours recovery time after. I felt fine on both days but wasn't allowed to work.

If I have a cold I usually go in and spread it around as I most certainly got it from the kids so no harm in them having it back!

If I really am unwell then I take time off but dont feel guilty.

Thank Post
    That's giving in to bully-boy tactics. I've had 4 days off since Xmas with flu and a streaming, eye-watering, nose-running head cold. I'm seriously thinking that I'll be having that interview myself, soon.

What can I say, I have three grandchildren, all under 8, at times the air in their house is like bacteria soup. What am I supposed to do? Not go to see my grandkids? Wear a surgical mask when they come to see me, just so I can continue to be at everyone's beck and call here? I don't think so, to any of that. If that's not good enough, try disciplining me for being ill.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    try disciplining me for being ill.
    Oh, they will... I have two members of staff out of four of us with some sort of disciplinary file open for illness. One on a verbal warning for being half an hour late reporting that they would be off and one on a written warning for having 5 days off sick in 6 months (there is more history on this one however.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast