+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Daily Fail on top form once again... in General; BBC News - Harriet Harman condemns paper's 'smear campaign' Question: when does it become ok for them to run with ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Daily Fail on top form once again...

BBC News - Harriet Harman condemns paper's 'smear campaign'

Question: when does it become ok for them to run with any story they can think up, or put the loosest of links to, but my other pet hate The Sun gets chastised on a virtual daily basis for their made up stories?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    The DM is actually the worst offender for PCC complaints (Daily Mail tops the league of press regulation code breaches | theguardian.com), but astonishingly their editor is chairman of the PCC's Editors' Code of Practice Committee.

If this isn't proof enough that the PCC is a waste of space, I don't know what is.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is a debate starter: when does freedom of speech become blatant lies and smear? When will the press be stopped from writing whatever drivel to make headlines and controversy and ruin lives...

Thank Post
    A society gets the journalism it deserves.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget the BBC is a VERY left leaning news organization.

Its funny how they didn't report the allegations all week, then when they did, the headline of the story was about a smear campaign, not the actual allegations.

Not saying its a proper story, just be careful which news organizations you believe, left or right, they usually have a Bias.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can't expect anything better from a paper that puts as it top story yesterday "My girl isn't a gold digger" about some young thing clinging to a lottery winner who left his wife, when the Ukraine is in turmoil, the Cabinets of both the UK and Scotland are meeting to discuss the future of UK oil and gas, and a million other more important things are going on...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh I agree I take the BBC very lightly too. However the details of the story, it is a very very loose link but has been massively blown out of proportion, as usual by the Fail.

This could cost her her job... and for what? I have no particular love for Harmen but still...

It's like saying if you had a dodgy teacher on your books (you know what I mean) then by association all other teacher are dodgy too...

Thank Post
    It's a curious case. I hate the DM & have no illusion that this is a smear piece rather than an attempt at investigative and public interest journalism but this link has been made for a long time by other papers as well (Telegraph, Private Eye, Mirror). The main issue is why all involved have not come out and said that it was a mistake to associate with this group and it should have never happened. Liberty itself has done this.

9. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

zag (25th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The link appears to be that the NCCL gave affiliate status to PIE before Harman worked there. The Daily Mail then wanted her to denounce that link, even though it was a) nothing to do with her and b) before she started there.

Should we all behave in that way? We'd all spend all day apologising!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As someone else said, its not just the daily mail who have brought this up before. The Mirror which is very left leaning also did in the past.

And check out some of the more stories:

Harriet Harman, the NCCL and paedophilia: my article from 2012 – Telegraph Blogs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Here is a debate starter: when does freedom of speech become blatant lies and smear? When will the press be stopped from writing whatever drivel to make headlines and controversy and ruin lives...
    Q1. It's the other way round. Whenever the press, right-wing, left-wing, off the wall, independent, whatever, are taken to task over lies and smearing, then it becomes 'Freedom of Speech'.

Q2. When we all stop buying, reading, believing and being titillated by their worthless lies, when we all stop being more concerned with which celeb is knocking off which other celeb than what's really happening to our society.

I don't buy newspapers, I don't read their websites, I haven't for a very long time. When I did buy a newspaper, it was in the morning to do the crossword on the train to work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    BBC News - Harriet Harman condemns paper's 'smear campaign'

Question: when does it become ok for them to run with any story they can think up, or put the loosest of links to, but my other pet hate The Sun gets chastised on a virtual daily basis for their made up stories?
    the honest answer?
    when they can use it to sell more papers.

The problem is that newspapers are in the business of selling papers not selling news same as i believe 24 hour news channels are a bad thing they need viewers so report things as soon as they arrive with no factchecking and appoligise later if at all

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That link from the Torygraph is interesting and sums up why this is a ridiculous witch hunt as far as I can tell:

In 1978, she became legal officer for the National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL), which – in its evidence to the Criminal Law Revision Committee in 1976 – had said the following:
    “Childhood sexual experiences, willingly engaged in, with an adult result in no identifiable damage… The real need is a change in the attitude which assumes that all cases of paedophilia result in lasting damage.”
    To be fair, the NCCL’s quite revolting parliamentary submission was written two years before Harriet joined its staff. But one wonders why she wanted to work for an outfit whose views on sex with minors were known to be extreme, even by the standards of the day.
    So, the organisation wanted the attitude to be changed somewhat. That submission could be taken in various ways - and many have agreed with the concept very recently, with comments about more 'mature' teenagers and the various 'stars' who abused them.

However, the fact that she wasn't even working there when that submission was made is very important. Asking why she would want to work for the NCCL, an agency that works for human rights, is a bit ridiculous based on one view! If we all worked like that, we'd all refuse to work for anyone as there are views all over the place which we don't agree with.

The rest makes some sense as well - she was worried that a bill being proposed could be overreaching and potentially damage scientific research. So, I'm still of the mind that in her individual case, this is a witch hunt.

The NCCL worked on human rights issues like ending slavery! I think that was pretty important work!
    Last edited by localzuk; 25th February 2014 at 11:52 AM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The front page of the Times is also reporting she has 'Regret' about the affiliation.

Thank Post
    Here's another Telegraph article from 2012:

Jimmy Savile: Labour faces embarrassment over former child sex claims - Telegraph

I'm not sure what the DM's agenda is, they've never nailed their political colours to the Tory mast have they?

Maybe this is why the BBC is taking it lightly - scratch the surface and you get the link to Savile.
    Last edited by Gibbo; 25th February 2014 at 12:21 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast