+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Battersea in General; Hi Guys, Anyone on here from Battersea? I'm staying up there this week and am wondering where there is to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Battersea

Hi Guys,

Anyone on here from Battersea? I'm staying up there this week and am wondering where there is to eat for two adults and a three year old? Not necessarily pubs - but Harvesters etc. Anywhere where I might find some vouchers online

Also - what travel options are there to get into London on the Thursday and Friday? We are going the museums on Thursday (Natural History and Science) and then the Eye and Sea life Centre on the Friday. What is the best way to get there from Battersea and what is the cheapest way of doing it?

We are booking into the Rainforest Cafe on the Friday evening - after the Eye and Sea Life Centre (Any vouchers people know of?)

Any advice welcome from those that know better. I'm driving up and parking at the hotel - so the car is safe. I don't really want to drive into Central London.

Gareth

Thank Post
    I think my advice (as a londoner) is get yourself a paper/phone app tube map, if you need to use the tubes your own map will be usefull. But this website will help you allot to plan your journeys using public transport. Home | Transport for London - it's not too bad, has maps and the timing info for trains isn't too bad really, tubes when running with a 'good' service are regular maybe every 2-15 mins so you never have to wait long, the tfl website might also have price info on it usually i travel on travel cards when i have to.

Good choice on places to visit tho - with the natural history museum there is one exhibit you may find not suitable for a 3 year old, i'll try and find the specific website so you can have a look. Human Biology | Natural History Museum

Thank Post
    oh and they have a joint london eye (EDF) with sea life admision here https://secure.visitsealife.com/weba...tegoryId=35110

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK, first you will need an Oyster card. These are small plastic NFC cards that you load up with credit at a tube station and tap on a machine to "tap-in" which will deduct full fare from your card. When you leave the station (EXCEPT BUSES as they tap once) you tap out on the exit gates and the reader will correct the balance on your card to reflect the correct fare. The daily fare paid will be capped at just below the cost of a Travelcard and automatically reflects what zone you are in (so if you venture out as far as Zone 6 you will pay more then if you stay in Zone 1-2). If you do not touch out you will be charged maximum cash fare and may be subject to prosecution for failing to touch in if an inspector demands your ticket. Peak fare times weekdays are also before 10:30 and between 17:00 and 19:00. Sadly paper Travelcards aren't available except for Zones 1-6 anymore as in my opinion they are very useful and don't suffer from Oyster's many shortfalls.

My personal gripes against the forced Oyster transition aside...

I'm going to assume you are near Battersea Park station. This is probably walkable to the London Eye IMO but if you want to take public transport hop on a bus or take the train from Clapham Junction to Waterloo Station which is very well connected. You can then take the Bakerloo Line from Waterloo to Piccadilly Circus for the Rainforest Cafe. That said, it is in the centre of tourist London and personally you are better off heading to nearby Chinatown or Soho for better quality food at about the same price or less, surrounded by less tat and a short walk from Piccadilly Circus. Take that advice from a regular to London, you will honestly be missing out! Personal recommendations are Cafe TPT in Chinatown and Honest Burgers in Soho (they are small venues though).

Also consider a trip on the riverboats. Oyster gives you reduced fare and they have a bar on-board so you can have a sip whilst looking at the strange views of London from the river. The Emirates is also near the Millennium Dome linking North Greenwich on the Jubilee Line (again direct from Waterloo) with Royal Victoria on the driverless DLR trains.

Sadly the Trocadero shut down which was right next to the Rainforest Cafe. That place was awesome and I visited it the day before shut down, it was a sad building site shell of the gleaming arcade that it once was.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Battersea

Depending on exactly where you are, for the museums you can stroll through the lovely battersea park and over battersea bridge to pick up the 360 bus.

For the eye etc, get to Vauxhall (train or bus), then walk 15/20 minutes along the river , you get to go past MI6 and the Houses of Parliament on the way to County Hall and the southbank attractions.

There are loads of restaurants around the battersea area, never tried them with an awake toddler though. Pizza Express is always a safe bet.
    Last edited by psydii; 24th February 2014 at 11:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone - we have a 3 year old in tow here. So walking is a toughie - but we will be walking.

As for the Oyster Card - can I get a two day one? Is it cheaper to get one rather than paying for a day ticket?

Battersea Park is a bit away from the hotel. I will be at Battersea Park on the Saturday for marathon trsaining with Runners World.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oyster cards are just Oyster cards, they don't come in days and you top them up with funds that you use as you touch in and out. You can add Travelcards to an Oyster but I have only used PAYG and you still need to touch in and out or risk a fine.

Paper Travelcards are no longer available except for Zone 1-6 on the edges of London.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information