+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Logo engraving in General; This is going to seem like an odd request... but is there anyone here (either a friendly supplier or someone ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts

Logo engraving

This is going to seem like an odd request... but is there anyone here (either a friendly supplier or someone with an industrious DT department) who could engrave a logo onto a ring for me?

My school does a World Book Day event each year where they ask pupils to come dressed as a book character. Staff are encouraged to join in if they wish, and this year I'm planning to go as Ford Prefect. As part of this, I want to get the Hitchhiker's Guide logo (the one below) engraved onto a ring, as a prop to represent the Electronic Thumb. Yes, yes, I know the ring version they used in the film isn't how it worked in the book, but I liked it, so sue me.

Anyway, I've got a 10mm steel ring the right size, and I've got the logo in vector format, but having talked to Timpsons they want 45 to do the engraving. That's a bit more than I want to spend for a small costume prop, so can anyone recommend a way of getting it done a bit cheaper? Oh, and of course I need it done by World Book Day, which is the 6th March...

Any suggestions (other than attacking it myself with a Dremel) gratefully received!

Logo engraving-hitchhikers-guide-galaxy-logo.png

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could you make a stencil stamp and emboss it on or solder?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a family member who does this for a living, I'll ask him if he has any ideas for how to do it.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK had a chat with my Dad who runs his own engraving business. He reckons that the price quoted seems about right for what they want as it isn't a cheap business. He recently had one piece of work where he had to send it off to another company for laser engraving and it cost over 40 for image prep and another 40 for the engraving process. Hand engraving is cheaper but steel will blunt instruments quickly as it is too hard so very few engravers will take on steel jobs. You'd have been better off with precious metal or even a softer metal like copper!

He did mention a process you can use to try it yourself. You mark the design on acetone with pencil, use a cutter to mark the lines and stick it on the ring. Then use some scraper thing (I can't remember what he called it) to transfer the lines on to the metal as a guide for your own attempts at hand engraving (idea being it scrapes the exposed fine lines and the acetone protects the rest). But he said frankly the results from a Dremel in even a skilled hand will look like a pig's ear. Sorry!

So looks like you will need to source a laser engraving machine from somewhere as that is the cheapest (I doubt you want to shell out 120 to produce a die). I have a cheaper idea though, print a 10mm logo on to a sticker and stick it on!

5. Thanks to CAM from:

AngryTechnician (25th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Yep, the 45 from Timpsons was mostly prep cost - after the first item is done it's only about 10 for additional items using the same artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I have a cheaper idea though, print a 10mm logo on to a sticker and stick it on!
    That one had occurred to me too! Looks like I will be going down that sort of route.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Electrolytical Etching? Etching

bit of a faff though, and there's always the chance you'll muck it up...

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Yep, the 45 from Timpsons was mostly prep cost - after the first item is done it's only about 10 for additional items using the same artwork.

That one had occurred to me too! Looks like I will be going down that sort of route.
    Maybe if you make a big enough batch you could see how many people want to buy a ring...

Thank Post
    Etching is a good suggestion and likely to give much better results than by hand with a dremmel.

How to Acid Etch Steel.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Just get a piece of copper clad pcb, print out the design on to some glossy paper and iron it on to the copper, etch as normal and then cut your circle out and epoxy it to a ring?

PCB Etching Using Toner Transfer Method | MAKE

Ben

Thank Post
    In the end I found what turned out to be a cheap, fairly easy, and very effective way of doing this.

If you ever did Airfix you'll remember the decals they came with, where you soak them in water for a minute then slide the backing paper off and press them onto the model. Turns out you can buy the paper to print your own now, and they stick to most surfaces, including metal, so...

On close inspection like this you can see the transparent area has a slight texture to it, and you can just about see the outline of where I didn't cut the logo out perfectly, but I think it's come out pretty well considering the cost. It's completely flush with the surface (unlike a clear sticker which was my next choice), and according to the instructions should even stand up to washing as if you use it on mugs/plates it's apparently OK to handwash them (just not put them in the dishwasher).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Logo engraving-ring.jpg  

12. 5 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

CAM (3rd March 2014), nephilim (1st March 2014), plexer (1st March 2014), Seb1780 (1st March 2014), witch (1st March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Awesome well done

Ben

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looks really good!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread