Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?

+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, [POLL] Should Scotland be an independent country? in General; He's put THAT much into the campaign that he can't afford to admit any problems, or admit that his campaign ...
    Thank Post
    He's put THAT much into the campaign that he can't afford to admit any problems, or admit that his campaign hasn't thought through everything.
    He's put that much effort in that he expects to be hoisted onto shoulders of the people, to raptuous applause, while flipping off the Westminter Toffs, that he can't accept that he hasn't got all the answers or a plan and is leading people to a Yes through poor planning and lack of clear and concise information.

Take the response to George Osbourne for example - THAT would have been an excellent "braveheart" moment to breakdown the reasons WHY Scotland can't keep the Pound, the problems with each point, and how they plan to counter each point to show WHY they CAN keep the pound. Flips off Wesminster, provides an educated rebuttle to inform the masses, and shows leadership heading into what will be a turblant time.

Instead, on national TV and in front of the Business Conference he was at, he adopted the "you're wrong, stop bullying me" approach. This is the leading figure of the Yes Campaign!!!!

Even if he just admitted "Ok, he might have us on point xyz, but we plan on doing abc or countering it with 123, which will see growth on our/both sides and a reduced risk", or "I don't have an answer for that just yet, but my experts will have an answer for me to present why we should keep the pound" - both of those would have been a lot better and show a bit more calm and leadership that "you're a bad bad man, stop bullying me".

*grabs popcorn*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Just noticed something... Are all SNP people named after fish? :-D

Its actually quite awesome.

I apologise for my childishness.

Been laughing about this for a while!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 907 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Been laughing about this for a while!
    Link: Aptronym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An aptronym (also: aptonym) or charactonym is a name aptly suited to its owner.
    There is a long list of notable examples and a shorter list of Inaptronyms.

4. Thanks to DaveP from:

Gatt (21st February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Brown versus Salmond , I know what they would be suping anyway instead of water
    By the end of it only drunk Scottish people can understand the dribles.
    I think even drunk Scottish people will still struggle to understand the pair of them! Lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    51/49

We're getting there...

7. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

ButterflyMoon (8th September 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    51/49

We're getting there...
    Not according to other polls: http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls...es08091010.pdf

Interesting read: BBC News - Scottish independence: The perils of unprecedented polls

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And that poll has had its effect, wiping serious value from companies with a foot in Scotland...

Thank Post
    I was firmly no from the start. However, with all the tripe that Salmond has been spouting and many of my friends and family regurgitating it without any regard for an alternative viewpoint. I want the vote to be yes and then all of his lies will be found out, Scotland will be in the same hole as Greece and Spain and I will take great delight in saying 'told you so'.

It has become extremely vitriolic and the yes campaign seem to have lost all sense of reason.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The yes campaign are banking on retaining membership to the EU, despite the fact that the EU council have said Scotland would have to re-apply, and Spain have said they'd veto entry as they do not like breakaway states (exceptions being where countries were released from Russia because of the soviet breakdown).

Spain couldn't allow Scotland entry, for the simple fact it would mean they have to have their own referendum on the Aragonese, Basque, Galicia and Catalunya being released (all sets of people have called for separation from Spain). If Scotland were allowed in, it adds legitimacy to their cause and weakens Spain.
    Last edited by nephilim; 8th September 2014 at 06:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    The yes campaign are banking on retaining membership to the EU, despite the fact that the EU council have said Scotland would have to re-apply, and Spain have said they'd veto entry as they do not like breakaway states (exceptions being where countries were released from Russia because of the soviet breakdown).

Spain couldn't allow Scotland entry, for the simple fact it would mean they have to have their own referendum on the Aragonese, Basque, Galicia and Catalunya being released (all sets of people have called for separation from Spain). If Scotland were allowed in, it adds legitimacy to their cause and weakens Spain.
    That is just one of the many items that the Yes campaign, Salmond in particular, have paid no heed to at all. Their stock answer is, 'yes we can it will be fine'. Whenever questions as to how or told no thats not correct their only reply is to shout 'liar'.

Paternally my family are Scottish and its scary the number of Scots that are saying they will vote yes without any idea about what the hell is going on or what will happen after they do gain independance.

Thank Post
    It is worrying how the media has gone into complete meltdown about the latest poll.
    It only covered 1049 people, which is very unlikely/impossible to call the election from.

What's the betting that this was a loaded sample to help the yes campaign? The No campaign will probably do the same in a few days.
    Its all about the optics.

Thank Post
    Have the yes campaign answered the question about the monarchy?
    If they are keeping the queen (bet salmond would love to be president of a republic if they didn't ) are they just dissolving the union of parliaments or the crown aswell?

If they just dissolved the union of parliaments it would give them what they want without the need to rip apart the UK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    If Scotland have to reapply, why not the other remaining bit of the UK? After all it's not just one half that changes.
    The vote on Scottish independence is taking place at the behest of a Democratically elected parliament of the United Kingdom. Whatever the outcome, Spain can go Bile 's heid.

[ETA At the start of the campaign I was very much a "No". Now, I'm more inclined to "Yes" but it's not anything said by the "Yes" campaign that has caused that change.]
    Last edited by pcstru; 8th September 2014 at 07:30 PM.

Thank Post
    I would say yes if i was Scottish. Imagine being governed by Glasgow.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    If Scotland have to reapply, why not the other remaining bit of the UK? After all it's not just one half that changes.
    Because the rUK is still the UK, the continuer state. It retains all current memberships etc. Scotland is a new state and therefore has to apply (not re-apply as they were never part of the EU, the UK were/are).

The vote on Scottish independence is taking place at the behest of a Democratically elected parliament of the United Kingdom. Whatever the outcome, Spain can go Bile 's heid.
    As a member of the EU they have a voice on who gets to join, and it's in their interest to make it as hard as possible for Scotland.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 8th September 2014 at 07:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast