Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?

+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 366
General Chat Thread, [POLL] Should Scotland be an independent country? in General; He's put THAT much into the campaign that he can't afford to admit any problems, or admit that his campaign ...
  1. #106
    happymeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Darwen
    Posts
    448
    Thank Post
    88
    Thanked 97 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    He's put THAT much into the campaign that he can't afford to admit any problems, or admit that his campaign hasn't thought through everything.
    He's put that much effort in that he expects to be hoisted onto shoulders of the people, to raptuous applause, while flipping off the Westminter Toffs, that he can't accept that he hasn't got all the answers or a plan and is leading people to a Yes through poor planning and lack of clear and concise information.

    Take the response to George Osbourne for example - THAT would have been an excellent "braveheart" moment to breakdown the reasons WHY Scotland can't keep the Pound, the problems with each point, and how they plan to counter each point to show WHY they CAN keep the pound. Flips off Wesminster, provides an educated rebuttle to inform the masses, and shows leadership heading into what will be a turblant time.

    Instead, on national TV and in front of the Business Conference he was at, he adopted the "you're wrong, stop bullying me" approach. This is the leading figure of the Yes Campaign!!!!

    Even if he just admitted "Ok, he might have us on point xyz, but we plan on doing abc or countering it with 123, which will see growth on our/both sides and a reduced risk", or "I don't have an answer for that just yet, but my experts will have an answer for me to present why we should keep the pound" - both of those would have been a lot better and show a bit more calm and leadership that "you're a bad bad man, stop bullying me".


    *grabs popcorn*

  2. #107

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,774
    Thank Post
    873
    Thanked 674 Times in 443 Posts
    Rep Power
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Just noticed something... Are all SNP people named after fish? :-D

    Its actually quite awesome.

    I apologise for my childishness.

    Been laughing about this for a while!

  3. #108

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    9,130
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 907 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1136
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Been laughing about this for a while!
    Link: Aptronym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    An aptronym (also: aptonym) or charactonym is a name aptly suited to its owner.
    There is a long list of notable examples and a shorter list of Inaptronyms.

  4. Thanks to DaveP from:

    Gatt (21st February 2014)

  5. #109

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,774
    Thank Post
    873
    Thanked 674 Times in 443 Posts
    Rep Power
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Brown versus Salmond , I know what they would be suping anyway instead of water
    By the end of it only drunk Scottish people can understand the dribles.
    I think even drunk Scottish people will still struggle to understand the pair of them! Lol

  6. #110

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,531
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    200
    51/49

    We're getting there...

  7. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

    ButterflyMoon (8th September 2014)

  8. #111

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,037
    Thank Post
    1,376
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    51/49

    We're getting there...
    Not according to other polls: http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls...es08091010.pdf

    Interesting read: BBC News - Scottish independence: The perils of unprecedented polls

  9. #112

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,164
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    879
    And that poll has had its effect, wiping serious value from companies with a foot in Scotland...

  10. #113
    Hefferzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    446
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 137 Times in 65 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    I was firmly no from the start. However, with all the tripe that Salmond has been spouting and many of my friends and family regurgitating it without any regard for an alternative viewpoint. I want the vote to be yes and then all of his lies will be found out, Scotland will be in the same hole as Greece and Spain and I will take great delight in saying 'told you so'.

    It has become extremely vitriolic and the yes campaign seem to have lost all sense of reason.

  11. #114

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,306
    Thank Post
    1,673
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    457
    The yes campaign are banking on retaining membership to the EU, despite the fact that the EU council have said Scotland would have to re-apply, and Spain have said they'd veto entry as they do not like breakaway states (exceptions being where countries were released from Russia because of the soviet breakdown).

    Spain couldn't allow Scotland entry, for the simple fact it would mean they have to have their own referendum on the Aragonese, Basque, Galicia and Catalunya being released (all sets of people have called for separation from Spain). If Scotland were allowed in, it adds legitimacy to their cause and weakens Spain.
    Last edited by nephilim; 8th September 2014 at 06:13 PM.

  12. #115
    Hefferzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    446
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 137 Times in 65 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    The yes campaign are banking on retaining membership to the EU, despite the fact that the EU council have said Scotland would have to re-apply, and Spain have said they'd veto entry as they do not like breakaway states (exceptions being where countries were released from Russia because of the soviet breakdown).

    Spain couldn't allow Scotland entry, for the simple fact it would mean they have to have their own referendum on the Aragonese, Basque, Galicia and Catalunya being released (all sets of people have called for separation from Spain). If Scotland were allowed in, it adds legitimacy to their cause and weakens Spain.
    That is just one of the many items that the Yes campaign, Salmond in particular, have paid no heed to at all. Their stock answer is, 'yes we can it will be fine'. Whenever questions as to how or told no thats not correct their only reply is to shout 'liar'.

    Paternally my family are Scottish and its scary the number of Scots that are saying they will vote yes without any idea about what the hell is going on or what will happen after they do gain independance.

  13. #116
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    986
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 165 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    It is worrying how the media has gone into complete meltdown about the latest poll.
    It only covered 1049 people, which is very unlikely/impossible to call the election from.

    What's the betting that this was a loaded sample to help the yes campaign? The No campaign will probably do the same in a few days.
    Its all about the optics.

  14. #117
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    986
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 165 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Have the yes campaign answered the question about the monarchy?
    If they are keeping the queen (bet salmond would love to be president of a republic if they didn't ) are they just dissolving the union of parliaments or the crown aswell?

    If they just dissolved the union of parliaments it would give them what they want without the need to rip apart the UK.

  15. #118


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,298
    Thank Post
    291
    Thanked 887 Times in 665 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    The yes campaign are banking on retaining membership to the EU, despite the fact that the EU council have said Scotland would have to re-apply, and Spain have said they'd veto entry as they do not like breakaway states (exceptions being where countries were released from Russia because of the soviet breakdown).
    If Scotland have to reapply, why not the other remaining bit of the UK? After all it's not just one half that changes.
    Spain couldn't allow Scotland entry, for the simple fact it would mean they have to have their own referendum on the Aragonese, Basque, Galicia and Catalunya being released (all sets of people have called for separation from Spain). If Scotland were allowed in, it adds legitimacy to their cause and weakens Spain.
    The vote on Scottish independence is taking place at the behest of a Democratically elected parliament of the United Kingdom. Whatever the outcome, Spain can go Bile 's heid.

    [ETA At the start of the campaign I was very much a "No". Now, I'm more inclined to "Yes" but it's not anything said by the "Yes" campaign that has caused that change.]
    Last edited by pcstru; 8th September 2014 at 07:30 PM.

  16. #119
    Alkaline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    296
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    I would say yes if i was Scottish. Imagine being governed by Glasgow.

  17. #120


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    If Scotland have to reapply, why not the other remaining bit of the UK? After all it's not just one half that changes.
    Because the rUK is still the UK, the continuer state. It retains all current memberships etc. Scotland is a new state and therefore has to apply (not re-apply as they were never part of the EU, the UK were/are).

    The vote on Scottish independence is taking place at the behest of a Democratically elected parliament of the United Kingdom. Whatever the outcome, Spain can go Bile 's heid.
    As a member of the EU they have a voice on who gets to join, and it's in their interest to make it as hard as possible for Scotland.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 8th September 2014 at 07:43 PM.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 5th December 2011, 02:25 PM
  2. Should't be my problem but it is !!!
    By MattCowen in forum Windows
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 17th January 2008, 02:09 PM
  3. What server spec should i be looking for?
    By tosca925 in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19th March 2007, 09:29 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •