Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, [POLL] Should Scotland be an independent country? in General; Originally Posted by Domino @ ZeroHour should be an independent nation. Mostly for our safety... Would people still have the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    @ZeroHour should be an independent nation.

Mostly for our safety...
    Would people still have the right to enter @ZeroHour?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Oooh Matron!

Thank Post
    Yeah I am not sure that entering zerohour has ever come up as an reason to halt scottish independance

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    Yeah I am not sure that entering zerohour has ever come up as an reason to halt scottish independance
    And is probably best left not being being one!

Thank Post
    My mothers side of the family are all Scots, other half has struggled to understand my gran.

As much as they "The English" as I get called, they admit that leaving would be a bad idea and most people voting for it just have a problem with the "English" and don't consider the bigger picture.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    My mothers side of the family are all Scots, other half has struggled to understand my gran.

As much as they "The English" as I get called, they admit that leaving would be a bad idea and most people voting for it just have a problem with the "English" and don't consider the bigger picture.
    This is my fear - that most of the "Yes" camp are thinking like this. (IMHO that is - I could be wrong!)

Thank Post
    I expect the immigration policy would be something to behold...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Salmond is delusional. He took a warning about joining the EU, from someone who could be seen as an expert on the subject, saying that Scotland would face a real problem trying to join the bloc due to countries like Spain disliking the very concept of breakaway states. Spain don't oppose it based on the merits of the particular country but on the basis that it'll encourage those areas within its own borders that have desires to become independent.

He also seems to think that Scotland has a say over whether they get to keep the Sterling. It would be an economic nightmare for the remaining UK area to have themselves tied financially to a country which they have no control over. It just wouldn't happen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do hope that result is a 'No' as I do think we are all stronger together but if the Scot do want independence then fine.

However I do fear what a post 'Yes' result Scotland would be like for the people living there as Alex Salmond appears to be at best ill informed on issues such as EU membership and retaining Sterling and at worst delusional.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I do hope that result is a 'No' as I do think we are all stronger together but if the Scot do want independence then fine.

However I do fear what a post 'Yes' result Scotland would be like for the people living there as Alex Salmond appears to be at best ill informed on issues such as EU membership and retaining Sterling and at worst delusional.
    He's certainly not ill informed considering the number of people telling him the same story - He just chooses to put if fingers in his ears and go..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    One of the many quirks in the SNP's campaign - as I though that to be a Member of NATO, you need to either have Nuclear Weapons or be willing to store the from other Member states?
    I'm not sure about that. Italy is a member of NATO but a nuclear free zone. If Scotland does eject Trident, I think the submarines should be parked along The Embankment in London; nice and convenient for the pollies to coo over! If Scotland does become independent, it does mean there will be a neighbour who might vote for the UK in the Eurovision Song Content. It will also put and end to the West Lothian question. On the other hand, I really don't care. It could be good for both parties or it could be bad, although I suspect the UK would be worse off, if it does happen.

Thank Post
    Have to admit that the NATO issue is a big grey area for me - don't know enough about it to make any form of argument

Thank Post
    As an Englishman living in England Alex Salmond would say my opinion does not matter - opposed to an Englishman living in Scotland, or like my Head a Scotsman living in England. Even who can have a vote is a ridiculous situation.

My personal opinion is that the UK is stronger with Great Britain. I understand the Scots hate being ruled by a bunch of toffs in Westminster. I live north of Oxford so I also understand this! The rest is ancient history and imho should bare no concern on the current vote for the future of Scotland.

What annoys me is the way the SNP are trying to cherry pick. They wanted Devo-Max, that's obvious, but as they can't have that as an option they want to cherry pick the best parts of being in the UK. Keep the Pound, keep the monarchy (until the half Scottish Queen dies), keep fiscal union, keep a closely related armed forces. Remove Trident (try removing the American's from the Holy Loch! - that won't happen if Scotland want NATO membership), be part of the EU with the same opt-outs as negotiated (by a Tory PM) at Maastricht.

I agree with the hardline the major UK political parties are taking. This isn't a vote for Devo-Max. This is a vote to become a totally independent country. If that passes for good or ill why should Scotland an rUK keep acting like we are in political union?

14. 2 Thanks to Trapper:

ButterflyMoon (19th February 2014), Gatt (19th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Just to repeat myself again: Scotland getting independence does not mean an SNP government. A lot of the Scottish people I know who are going to vote yes are definitely not supporters of the SNP. A lot of them are just tired of being ruled by "English" Tories, since Scotland has traditionally been pretty much labour land (though not so much in the last election I suppose).

Thank Post
    If I was allowed to vote (am a Scot living in England) I would be a Yes vote. I am by no means into SNP by the same token not Labour or Conservative I just think we could do well independant. I also think that any of the English counties north of Watford Gap get a raw deal every bit as much as we Scots. The North East of England and Cumbria are prime examples of that. It is like living in forgotten regions as far as Westminster is concerned. If Independance can change that then am all for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast