+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, W00T! Free Broadband Upgrade in General; Very nice of Virgin to give me a free upgrade from 30 Mbps to 50 Mbps in the summer. They ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries

W00T! Free Broadband Upgrade

Very nice of Virgin to give me a free upgrade from 30 Mbps to 50 Mbps in the summer. They have just let me know by email.
    I was going to pay for an upgrade (whilst ditching cable and the phone line) anyway. Should save me a few pennies
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 18th February 2014 at 09:10 AM.

Thank Post
    They tried to tell me this was the reason they were putting my package up by 12% now. TV and phone were promptly cancelled. I got Sky for £3.50 a month and I'm using Sipgate with a Cisco box to route my dect phone to a Nottingham phone number - no line rental.

Go for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still annoys me how people get away with forcing you to have a phone line & rental. Especially Virgin, absolutely no need for it Glad I moved from Sky to Virgin though (moved from one to the other before) due to crap speeds but I do miss Sky's reasonable-when-they-want-to-be customer services. I don't miss their crap filtering systems!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    They tried to tell me this was the reason they were putting my package up by 12% now. TV and phone were promptly cancelled. I got Sky for £3.50 a month and I'm using Sipgate with a Cisco box to route my dect phone to a Nottingham phone number - no line rental.

Go for it.
    How are you routing calls over landline without paying line rental?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Still annoys me how people get away with forcing you to have a phone line & rental. Especially Virgin, absolutely no need for it Glad I moved from Sky to Virgin though (moved from one to the other before) due to crap speeds but I do miss Sky's reasonable-when-they-want-to-be customer services. I don't miss their crap filtering systems!
    I gotta say I am glad I switched the other way, no line shaping or throttling of the connection, no calls when I download over 100GB in a month (steam/origin library)

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

mac_shinobi (18th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When Virgin throttle, the throttled speed is still far greater than the fastest Sky could give me at my old house, and still greater than Sky can offer me via fibre at the new house. Mileage massively varies depending on circumstance really. Besides which, far better telly package currently. Swings and roundabouts.
    (I've downloaded about 250gb in 3 days, no phone call yet... )

8. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

Dos_Box (18th February 2014), nephilim (18th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When Virgin throttle, the throttled speed is still far greater than the fastest Sky could give me at my old house, and still greater than Sky can offer me via fibre at the new house. Mileage massively varies depending on circumstance really. Besides which, far better telly package currently. Swings and roundabouts.
    (I've downloaded about 250gb in 3 days, no phone call yet... )
    That's exactly the reason I stuck with them. Throttled speed is still much faster than other ISP's in the area.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post

Go for it.
    I do the same thing; Sipgate account, SPA941 phones and a SPA9000

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    That's exactly the reason I stuck with them. Throttled speed is still much faster than other ISP's in the area.
    Down here, the sky copper is faster than virgin fibre (not joking). I have a friend who lives 2 streets away, his "100mb" broadband, tops out at maybe 8mb during peak, whereas my sky tops out near 17mb during peak.

Offpeak (between 11pm to about 8am around our way) his virgin fibre is quicker than my sky copper, his virgin line hits easily 60mb and mine maxes out at 40mb.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wonder if Google would like to give Fibre a go over here...

13. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

mac_shinobi (18th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    can only hope!

Thank Post
    You don't need a phone line with virgin :/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Correct, you don't. You'll find your bills magically higher if you don't want one though. It works out better over the year if you take line rental.

Thank Post
    Cool, just checked my virgin account, going up to 100Mbps next month. Got a discount last month as well for signing on for another 12months.

Thank Post
    I got upgraded to 120mb by them last year around August for free, was on the 50 meg service before, not noticed any issues at all with speed or throttling, other than it being slightly slower in the bedroom because I use a powerline adapter to get the net upstairs to my main rig here.

My days of trying to smash in my bandwidth by downloading half the internet seem to be long behind me, these days its netflix and the odd game on steam being downloaded or WoW patch, which isnt massively regular.

As said too, you dont have to have a phone with the broadband either, my sister has just had it installed at her house for free because of an offer from me, she had free installation and we had a months free internet, she didnt take out a phone just the broadband.

I have tried ADSL in my area and with the distance from the local towns central exchange with BT in the last place we lived, it mapped out at telling me it was 12mbps before with an actual speed of about 5.5mbps on speedtest websites, not sure of the increase now because of infinity though, but virgin just works here so I wouldnt be going anywhere else readily.

I wouldnt touch virgin for TV either after the last time they and sky argued and I wound up stuck on virgin unable to watch anything I liked i.e. sky1 last time they quarelled.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast