+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, W00T! Free Broadband Upgrade in General; I am going from 60-100 meg in the summer. Thanks Virgin. I think now I shall stop calling Branson 'That ...
    Thank Post
    I am going from 60-100 meg in the summer. Thanks Virgin. I think now I shall stop calling Branson 'That bearded hippy tw$t' now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Very nice of Virgin to give me a free upgrade from 30 Mbps to 50 Mbps in the summer. They have just let me know by email.
    I was going to pay for an upgrade (whilst ditching cable and the phone line) anyway. Should save me a few pennies
    Thanks! I got an email from Virgin this afternoon but deleted it straight away as they usually try and sell me some TV package, phone or TiVo box... just gone back and had a look and it was about an upgrade also. Nice surprise, going from 30 to 50 around May

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Correct, you don't. You'll find your bills magically higher if you don't want one though. It works out better over the year if you take line rental.
    You're right about this. The special bundles are usually cheaper than standalone broadband.

The trouble is for telecoms companies is that they know the jig's up - the only commodity of value coming into the house is broadband.

A landline is archaic. Mobiles have elbowed these out of the way, and if you want international, there's dirt-cheap SIP/VOIP/IM+video apps and devices. On-demand TV & films are routed over the net straight to TVs or boxes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Wonder if Google would like to give Fibre a go over here...
    If only

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    You're right about this. The special bundles are usually cheaper than standalone broadband.

The trouble is for telecoms companies is that they know the jig's up - the only commodity of value coming into the house is broadband.

A landline is archaic. Mobiles have elbowed these out of the way, and if you want international, there's dirt-cheap SIP/VOIP/IM+video apps and devices. On-demand TV & films are routed over the net straight to TVs or boxes.
    Isn't that the truth. With on demand internet delivered TV, IP telephony and mobiles, they are going to struggle. I just don't see the need for a Tivo bx anymore when I can get a freeview HD recorder with apps for 200, and Virgin want to charge me for the privilege (an a basic cable package now - just the free channels)!
    Cant wait til July when the contract is up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fromtheinternet View Post
    How are you routing calls over landline without paying line rental?
    I use one of these http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/product...78-691106.html and Sipgate.co.uk who offer geographic numbers for free (calls out are about 1.2 pence a min or similar) and you get caller display and voicemail for free too (they even email you the voicemail if you want)

I keep a second number (from Flextel this time) that I give to companies, which is voicemail only (and they email the voicemail too). No more answering the phone to sales calls...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got a geographic number from: Internet Telephone Calling Solutions - DrayTEL
    I used to have a phone-to-VOIP adapter but that broke, so I just use a SIP app on my phone when I want to use it.
    It's quite handy when phoning abroad, or if you're abroad you can connect your phone to a local wireless point and make & receive calls on your geographic number (or SIP number).

Other services are available, of course, and ViberOut looks interesting.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 19th February 2014 at 09:30 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12