+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Working notice - anyway of buying out my contract? in General; As I work in a local council I'm wondering if you good people can give me any advice, I've two ...

Thank Post

Working notice - anyway of buying out my contract?

As I work in a local council I'm wondering if you good people can give me any advice, I've two weeks left to work of my notice but the place I'm working in has become awful since I handed in my notice, it's actually got to the stage now where I dread coming to work, I'm late, I'm unmotivated and I dread dealing with most of the staff, who seem petty and frankly childish in their attitude.

Is it possible to leave immediately?

The situation was made worse by my being ill for 3 days last week with flu, coming back and having meetings to go to. I know most of them think I simply don't give a damn but I am trying to encourage GOOD staff to apply but at the same time I'm trying to organise things so that the interim period between myself leaving and another person filling the post goes as smoothly as possible (hence the meetings!).

One of my friends mentioned "buying out my contract" I'm not entirely sure what that'd mean though. I am due 7 days leave but agreed to work it rather than shortening my leave period but now i'm regretting this greatly!

Thank Post

Re: Working notice - anyway of buying out my contract?

Walk out and accept you won't be paid for the days you have remaining is the short answer. In reality there is not a damn thing they can do about it.

If you have a log of events from recent weeks you could probably claim constructive dismisal.

PEO
    Thank Post

I would suck it up and get on with it (hope i that dosent come across being harsh)

what are they doing to make you life harsh?

Thank Post

I agree with MrHappy. Try and be as pleasant and helpful as possible. Invest in a big box of biscuits for the staffroom.

Thank Post

General bitching, usually wouldn't get to me but it's happening from most of the senior staff who see me quite obviously as a traitor.

There are no other members of IT here I work entirely on my own so I feel extremely isolated, I'm even at the opposite end of the building from all of the other non-teaching staff. I wouldn't mind, but up until I handed by notice in they were all friendly and I really don't understand the sudden shift in attitude.

After my meeting on friday, which the school were notified of well in advance I've recieved an email from my boss asking if I'd "had a relapse" as he couldn't find me in the school. I doubt he looked very hard as he apparently didn't check the notice in the staff room saying I would be at the councils I.T. department.

It's one of dozens of small things that are really starting p!ss me off.

PEO
    Thank Post

confront and ask them what there problem is, and just tell them to back off. I've done that. works a charm

Thank Post

Keep a log, show log to boss, get gardening leave.

One wiff of bullying and you will be alowed to gently leave without question. I had the same thing from my last place from one manager. He tried to get me in on the first day of my new job, because I got the dates wrong. He was very nasty about it. Last week was hell too.

Suck it up, or log it. Dont burn bridges though. :!:

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile sweetly, work your notice, then shaft them after you've left.

Thank Post

Cheers all,

I'll try and stick it out and may have words with them if it continues. I'd never do anything purposely to affect the network etc but I must admit it is making me rather bitter!

I'll try not to burn bridges but at the moment they seem to be setting them alight without my help

Thank Post

Just do your job and no more. I realise you would like to help the school and find a decent replacement, but in reality if there are acting like this then dont bother. I agree, ask them if they have a problem with you/your work style and log all requests and treatment. I have heard of some staff being bullied here, but it was not acted upon. I have since heard of a few other staff who have felt the same but no one had the guts to say anything as they thought they would not be supported(as there was no history)

Regardless of the situation, I think it is always good to try and leave on a good note, you never know when you may need the work. Make sure any work that comes in is done so properly on a request sheet, and if you still have work when you leave - tough, it can wait for the next employee. Spend your break with the staff who still treat you nice and have the thought that it will soon be christmas and you will be in a new job.

Thank Post

Definitely have a word with them about this, you might find that they have judged you without hearing your side of story.

If you do get any comments, abuse or intimidation, i would speak to someone right away and you could maybe use that to leave early.

Other than that, just smile, take it on the chin. It will probably be nice to be nasty and screw them over but it would probably just end up bad for you.

Thank Post

anything I did that had a knock on affect on the kids education would just be plain wrong so obviously I wont' do anything like that. In all honesty I'm proud of what I've managed to do here, just rather upset that its turned to sour grapes.

I didn't ask for a pay freeze and having to wait up to 7 years before earning even £1 more than I am - that's the councils fault and the only reason I'm leaving.

Thank Post

look in your contact, mine says (I work for council) if worked less than 2 years only 1 week on notice has to be given.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts

I suspect that the staff do not know the real reason for your leaving - so tell them (a goodbye note explaining in their pigeonhole?).
    If they knew about the money etc I can't believe they would be so petty. I think they may have been fed misinformation.
    Then, smile sweetly, do your job and no more

Thank Post

Most teaching staff are generally pretty disgusted when they find out how little I and my colleagues get paid.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread