+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any motorbike riders here? First time rider advice. in General; I was wondering if any of you ride motorbikes as i am a first time rider looking to buy one ...

Thank Post

Any motorbike riders here? First time rider advice.

I was wondering if any of you ride motorbikes as i am a first time rider looking to buy one this weekend and i was wondering about a few things if any of you would be kind enough to answer:

What is the difference between 2 ad 4 stroke?
    Is the balancing/turning the same as a pedal bike?
    Would a 2009 AJS RegalRaptor 125cc be a decent first bike for going roughly 3 miles a day to work and back?

Thanks in advance for all help/advice, it is much appreciated!
    (i hope this is in the right section, just let me know if not and i will move it.)

Thank Post
    I no longer have a bike but used to great bit of fun. Though this is the worst time to buy one you'll never be able to enjoy a ride on it in this weather! I do prefer a 2 stroke, normally they have a lot more up and go and are generally quicker top end (if they're derestricted) though this does mean once a month youll have to top your bike full of oil if you're a regular rider. 4 strokes are normally more reliable though are slower, but it also means not spending a fortune on oil. My friend has a 125cc Honda scooter derestricted and it will do 70 but I have 100cc 2 stroke Peugeot and that does 80 derestricted. 2 Strokes normally use more petrol too by the way. Completely different to riding a pedal bike though when you get on it you should just automatically balance yourself so don't be worried motorbikes are more stable then pedal bikes when balancing you'll just find it will balance itself, it's more leaning of a motorbike where as on a pedal bike you tend to turn the handlebars a bit more. The bike you have described seems perfectly fine, heck you could walk 3 miles so any bike would be fine even a 50cc scooter would do that job.

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsyb0y View Post
    I was wondering if any of you ride motorbikes as i am a first time rider looking to buy one this weekend and i was wondering about a few things if any of you would be kind enough to answer:

What is the difference between 2 ad 4 stroke?
    Is the balancing/turning the same as a pedal bike?
    Would a 2009 AJS RegalRaptor 125cc be a decent first bike for going roughly 3 miles a day to work and back?

Thanks in advance for all help/advice, it is much appreciated!
    (i hope this is in the right section, just let me know if not and i will move it.)
    2 stroke make more power for their size as there is a power stroke every time the engine goes round, but they require faaaarrrrrr more maintenance and the addition of 2 stroke oil, either to the fuel, or to a separate tank as they don't have any other means of lubrication, thus increasing running costs.

It is substantially the same... The first thing you have to remember is you will go where you look, so don't look at the ditch. Ever. The tricky thing is clutch control.

The AJS regal raptor is OK, but it's not great, if you can afford one of the japanese brands (honda, yamaha,kawasaki, suzuki) get one, there is a reason they are more expensive.

That said, you can get some good deals on other brands, I particularly like the Hyosung 125 (south korean) and the Rieju Matrix 125 (spanish), the current winners in the chinese 125 market seem to be Sinnis and SuperByke.

Thank Post
    Oh and don't fall off I was doing 70 down the a442 and came of my bike after hitting a car, I was being stupid! Hit my shoulder at first impact which made my collarbone protrude out of my skin it broke twice in two different places. Got permanent scars all the one side of my body aswell. Wasn't pretty so be safe!

5. 2 Thanks to abillybob:

burnsyb0y (12th February 2014), Oaktech (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    1. 2vs 4 stroke - with a 2 stroke, remember to put the oil in for the petrol! 4 Stroke is smoother but slightly more complicated mechanically. 2 stroke is generally more powerful for a given displacement (cc), but usually within a limited rev band, so you need a little more skill to get the best from them.

2. Yes and no. You don't tend to notice counter steering on a push bike and you may not even notice it on a motorbike but on a motorbike you should be taught it and you should learn (or should that be lean) to exploit it.

3. I'd think so. A 125 should be able to keep up with the traffic on A roads but mostly isn't fast enough to kill you for a stupid mistake. I say mostly, it can of course kill you and you should treat it as if it will. A Honda CB125 would be an excellent choice, they tend to hold their value too.

Good luck, have fun but please do be careful.

Thank Post
    Good luck, have fun but please do be careful.
    And remember you have to be careful for other motorists as well. Work on the basis that they are all idiots and are about to do something daft.

8. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Pyroman (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    And remember you have to be careful for other motorists as well. Work on the basis that they are all idiots and are about to do something daft.
    Yeah, get used to thinking for everyone else...

Thank Post
    Will stick to a 4 stroke then for sure then.
    I would like a jap bike but my budget really does not allow for it, will more than likely upgrade once i know if bikes are for me though

Thanks everyone, and i will be safe as can be.
    Really buzzing for my CBT now and it looks like im picking my bike up tomorrow, will keep you all updated with how i get on!

Thank Post
    You'll fly through a CBT at one point I started driving on the wrong side of the road (I was 16) and they still passed me haha Youll pass!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    This was something my instructor told me, don't trust anyone, don't trust pot holes or anything in the road. CBT though is a walk in the park, feels more of like a lesson than a test. Only difficulty I had was the U Turn because you feel like you will fall off but your not going to. I stalled it a few times and passed easily.

Thank Post
    My bike went the second I was knocked off too. Pressure from her indoors and my mum!

What is the difference between 2 ad 4 stroke? = 4 stroke better
    Is the balancing/turning the same as a pedal bike? = nowhere near
    Would a 2009 AJS RegalRaptor 125cc be a decent first bike for going roughly 3 miles a day to work and back? = Nice looking, will be sweet for a first bike, you'll be fine doing that mileage just keep her wiped down after rain, and topped up with fluids for short journeys.

14. Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M from:

burnsyb0y (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    As this is related here's a question for some of the more knowledgable members, If I obtained my CBT in late 2010 and passed my full UK driving license in early 2012 does that mean I can ride a 50cc scooter with people on the back and no L plates? I'm sure I read this was the case it's only if you want a 125 do you have to retake your CBT and you only retake your CBT every 2 years for a 50cc if you're on provisional driving license??? Any help?

Thank Post
    Good to know, i thought the cbt was going to be really intensive and hard.
    Nice bit of advice on watching out for other drivers, have to do this even on my pedal bike, drivers in luton seem to all be arrogant idiots.

17. Thanks to burnsyb0y from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Don't buy Chinese, or anything odd. It will have NO resale value next week, never mind when you've had time to pass your test and move on to a bigger bike. Loath I am to say it (mine's Italian) go for a Japanese bike.

Yes, theoretically a 2 stroke will give more power, but in real-world riding, I doubt you'll notice.

GET SOME TRAINING! Then get some more*. CBT is laughably easy if you have any road sense at all. Passing the Modules is more complex than getting a full car licence, but I doubt it will really lead to better riders.

Buy decent protective kit. Helmet doesn't have to be expensive, but look for 5* Sharp rating. Don't go out in jeans, trainers and a tee shirt. SQUID = Stupid, Quick, Under-dressed & Imminently Dead.

Beware forgetting to cancel your indicators; my instructor nearly got squished when out in front of me.

*Local plod or firebrigade may do Bike Safe sessions. Lots of fun, and worth every penny; perhaps best suited to someone with a few months riding under their belt.

Thank Post
    Also one last thing, other than the highway code, is there anything else you would recommend reading up on or anything else in general i should know?

Thanks everyone, your replies are really helping me get an idea of what i have to learn/look forward to!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast