+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Any motorbike riders here? First time rider advice. in General; I'd echo all the advice here. I've been riding myself for nearly 25 years now, but mainly a fair weather ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd echo all the advice here. I've been riding myself for nearly 25 years now, but mainly a fair weather rider these days and stays off the road during the winter months. Currently riding a Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 K6, big V-Twin!!! However, I have for many year ridden year round and whatever weather; it does make you a better rider. Riding a motorcycle makes you a better driver also; your natural instinct on a bike is to look far further ahead than normal (self preservation plays a big part) and this will transfer into driving cars.

Learning to ride a motorcycle should be on everyone's bucket list - once it's in your blood you'll never give it up really.

Big downside to anyone trying to learn at the moment is the new regulations about what you can learn on, what you can take your test on and at what age. I fully appreciate the efforts to improve riding learning, as you can't just pass your test an jump on a GSX-1000R anymore; but you still can pass your car test and drive a AMG Mercedes straight after - I just think the new age bandings are a bit harsh for new learners.

J&S are great for kit, so is M&P - George White used be a great place for cheap (and semi-decent) kit but went belly up a couple years back, it has sort of come back as Motorcycle Helmets, Clothing, Leathers, Jackets, Gloves, Boots and Accessories - Mega Motorcycle Store .

If you get into it, and eventually get a big-ish bike - you must go and watch the TT, even visit the Island and do the circuit a few times - it's an experience.

Pete

2. Thanks to FragglePete from:

burnsyb0y (14th February 2014)

Thank Post
    When I retire later this year we plan to spend at least some of the winter in the Algarve and I intend to get a 125cc scooter for pottering about. Up to 125cc, they are tax free and insurance is a pittance. Coupled with empty roads, which still have hard shoulders for the "Jerusalem Jeeps" it's a motorcyclist's dream.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsyb0y View Post
    Or even if you are in bedfordshire/near Luton are there any dealer ships you can recommend for looking at other bikes (my budget is about 800 to find a nice beginner bike, not got much of a clue though).

Cheers!
    I have no idea if they're any good but I go past this place in Harpenden on my way home from Luton sometimes:

The Two Wheel Centre - New and Previously Owned Bikes Service M.O.T

A bit closer than Watford!

5. Thanks to Norphy from:

burnsyb0y (14th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thought i would keep everyone updated as you have all been so kind and helpful.
    I have got the bike now AJS DD125E how ever it will not start i think it is the spark plugs as they are dirty as anything and wont spark against the engine when i tried that.
    Also a pipe came off the bottom of the bike the other day and i cant see where i could possibly attach it, but one end looks like it has never been attacked to anything as it has gunk all over it so i am guessing it is some kind of run off.

As for clothing, i went to J&S in watford as recommended and bought:
    IXS HX-580 Arcon Helmet
    Blytz T3 Short Boots
    Frank Thomas SEG201 XTI2 Short Sport Glove
    J&S Rift trousers
    Frank Thomas FTW328 Strada Jacket
    (also the people in there are lovely, i told the shop assistant that i am a first time rider and i want the maximum protection gear i can get for 300 and he helped me pick stuff that came over my budget then got the manager to know it down for me)

Now just to get the bloody bike running so i can MOT,tax and insure it and get on the road

Thank Post
    You certainly have done well on the price!

Re the bike, is there a kick starter you can try rather than the electric one? Just rule out any electrical issues.

Thank Post
    I know, i am chuffed
    unfortunately no it seems to be just electronic, would help if the guy had the manual for the bike.

Thank Post
    It may be worth checking the battery is charged particularly if the bike has not been run all winter. A good sign of this is when you turn the ignition on and you press for the starter the headlight severely dims or goes off completely.

You can get trickle chargers that will top up the batter over several hours or you can invest in something like this: Halfords | Halfords Fully Automatic Battery Charger

Provided your battery is 12V (it will be marked on the battery somewhere near the connectors), if you look at other chargers do make sure they are suitable for 12V bike batteries.

Thank Post
    It is all charged up based on what you have said.
    Off to halfords later to pick up some new spark plugs so i am seriously hoping it will start with new ones.
    Either way im off til monday so its my mini project to get going by then.
    Cheers.

Thank Post
    clean everything... If there is doubt about the spark, take the plug out, plug it into the cap, and lay it on the engine casing and turn the engine over, you should see a spark at the plug. If you don't its possible that the plug is faulty, but it's more likely that something further back down the line is dodgy.

Also, you have checked the kill switch haven't you!

Thank Post
    Definitely check the killswitch. Also most modern bikes will not start without the clutch being fully pulled in. Make sure the bike is in neutral. Make sure that if the bike is fitted with an immobiliser that this is not also stopping the ignition.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    Definitely check the killswitch. Also most modern bikes will not start without the clutch being fully pulled in. Make sure the bike is in neutral. Make sure that if the bike is fitted with an immobiliser that this is not also stopping the ignition.
    And sidestand switch if it has one...

Thank Post
    Got the bike working now, just needed a few bump starts in 2nd gear.
    Also i have now passed my CBT, and got insured.
    Now just to MOT and tax the bike and i am off

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsyb0y View Post
    Got the bike working now, just needed a few bump starts in 2nd gear.
    Also i have now passed my CBT, and got insured.
    Now just to MOT and tax the bike and i am off
    Woop Woop! Another convert!

Take care, have fun, and you know where we all are if you need anything else!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234