+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any motorbike riders here? First time rider advice. in General; I'm a mere pedal cyclist, but I *think* this advice is good for motorbikes too: be especially aware at junctions. ...

Thank Post
    I'm a mere pedal cyclist, but I *think* this advice is good for motorbikes too: be especially aware at junctions. Motorists seem to be particularly bad at looking right before turning, there's a blind spot in the pillar between the windshield and the side window and as a bike you present little surface area to be seen (this is why detjo's advice about hi-vis is great.). As you're approaching, look at the driver's front wheels and head. If they don't look at you, they've *certainly* not seen you.

All of the bike accidents I've known friends to have have been crossing junctions, and I've had a couple of nasty near misses in the same way.

On the subject of gear - Ride magazine used to do destruction tests between different bits of clothing, do they still do that?

Thank Post
    Back in the 1990s there was a motorbike shop where I'm from in Australia, where you could trade in your old helmet and get $10 off a new one. I once asked the bloke who ran it what he did with the $10 helmets and he said "I sell them to guys with $10 heads".

3. Thanks to unixman_again from:

Dos_Box (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    What everyone else has said. I've been riding a scooter for about 3 years and its great. I ride about 3 miles to work every day. It takes me about a 1/3rd of the time as on the bus, and costs about the same when spread out over 5 years.

Be prepared to have an accident. It will probably happen at some point. There are so many selfish and rubbish drivers out there. I meet at least one every day. I'm pretty sure some of them are trying to kill me - there is no other explanation for some of the driving I see. Get some protective gear. It makes so much difference. It still hurts with it all on, but you don't get all the cuts and bruises when you go scraping along the road on your face/backside. I've come of about 3 times now, usually on the way to work in the morning when I'm thinking about something else and not focused on the road.

I got a honda pcx 125 from the local dealership. They've looked after me well. They do finance offers so you can spread the cost over 3 years. I was also able to get the other gear included on the finance which was worth it.

If you have the option to do the cbt and any other training then its worth it for the experience. You have to do the cbt anyway.

Thank Post
    I took my motorbike test in August 1965 a few days after my 16th birthday. It was in Trowbridge and there were no traffic lights and one zebra crossing. The examiner was on foot and he told me to ride up the road, go right around the block and return to him, when he raised his clipboard I was to do an emergency stop. The road was a row of terraced houses and I took two lefts so I was going down the parallel road and there was the examiner, clipboard raised. He must have ducked through one of the houses. I certainly wasn't expecting to see him there, which I guess was the point.

Stupid thing is, even though I've hardly ridden a bike in 45 years, I could walk into a Kawasaki showroom and drive away on their fastest bike. I do quite fancy a Piaggio MP3.

Thank Post
    I've not ridden now for about 18 months and I miss it, particularly when the weather improves and you see lots of bikers out enjoying themselves. I can only echo the comments above about other road users. Assume all car drivers are chimps and you won't go too far wrong. Defensive riding is your friend, a couple of times I've had to stop my bike on it's nose when a coffin dodger pulled out in front of me (after looking at me!).

I've only come off once and that was while learning, day 1 of my Direct Access I was doing emergency stops in heavy rain, no problem at all! Day 2 however was bone dry, more emergency stops and I managed to lock the front wheel and then spent a few seconds doing a 30 MPH slide down the middle of the road, came away with some very colourful bruising down my hip and thigh but other than that I was fine. I always say it was the best thing that happened to me because it made me more careful.

As for gear I'd say textile all the way, leather looks good but you don't want to be wearing it in the rain and as we live in the UK....well I'll let you work that out! I've got a Hein Gericke Hi Viz jacket from their factory seconds shop on ebay and although I look like coco the clown it means everyone can see me coming. See I'm talking like I still ride........

Thank Post
    I did not expect this level of help and to see so many bikers on here
    Could any of you tell me if there are any online stores you can recommend for safety/general biking gear?
    Or even if you are in bedfordshire/near Luton are there any dealer ships you can recommend for looking at other bikes (my budget is about 800 to find a nice beginner bike, not got much of a clue though).

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Don't buy your helmet on line. Really; don't! The fit is critical to your comfort, and safety. You'll find that a M in one brand is totally different from a M in another. After you have found one that fits, and is "long term comfortable", then by all means replace it on line.

Infinity have both real and virtual stores
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 13th February 2014 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsyb0y View Post
    Or even if you are in bedfordshire/near Luton are there any dealer ships you can recommend for looking at other bikes (my budget is about 800 to find a nice beginner bike, not got much of a clue though).
    Flitwick Motorcycles were good to me, but it would just depend what they have in. It's worth having a chat with them though as dealers tend ot trade between themselves if they know what you are looking for. As others have said, never buy your helmet second hand, I'd also avoid online - even if I knew exactly the make, model and size.

If you do know what you want and know what to look for in a second hand bike, there's always Motorcycle News, Autotrader or even ebay.

Thank Post
    a few tips :
    Dont Get caught twice on the same night going at 150 down the motorway.
    if your on a cbt keep spare L plates in the bike as they will fall off.
    dont stand on the seat in the rain just so your boots dont get water in them.
    always get gortex gear as its warm and dry.
    and last but not least you lid should be replaced after 3 years for plastic. for carbon fibre 5 years as the structure will be weakened and never go for cheap. (i had a lid cave in around my face after a small accident. on my near paralizing accident i had a 300 sho helm and that protected me more then any thing)

also some of the bigger brands of lids provied a service to have the helm checked over for structural damage after accidents.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsyb0y View Post
    Could any of you tell me if there are any online stores you can recommend for safety/general biking gear?
    I see there is a J & S in Watford: Watford Motorcycle Clothing & Accessories Store

They usually have a good range of products.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    I see there is a J & S in Watford: Watford Motorcycle Clothing & Accessories Store

They usually have a good range of products.
    Nice shout, will be sure to go get my stuff there at the weekend, granted they have everything in stock.
    Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Beware forgetting to cancel your indicators; my instructor nearly got squished when out in front of me.
    I made this mistake on my CBT coming round a mammoth roundabout. My headphones linked to the instructor also failed and I missed a lot of what was said before it got sorted, made no difference though seems you have to do something ridiculous to fail those things!

Have a vespa myself, I thought at first riding a push bike would help but its not even similar. Unless your crawling at an incredibly low speed you will only adjust your steering cms each way for the most part.

If you are riding in this weather invest in some serious gloves, heated if possible it will be a godsend! It's still a lot of fun in winter so long as you are aware of your limits but come the summer time its the best feeling to be on a bike rather than melting in a stuffy car!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C
    Beware forgetting to cancel your indicators; my instructor nearly got squished when out in front of me.
    It will also fail you a test...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    It will also fail you a test...
    Didn't for my CBT.... in fact I thought I would fail it, it wasn't until our drive back was I feeling like I knew what I was doing. It was a hot sunny day and the distractions also noticed by my instructor when he said over the radio "I can look, but you can't".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Didn't for my CBT.... in fact I thought I would fail it, it wasn't until our drive back was I feeling like I knew what I was doing. It was a hot sunny day and the distractions also noticed by my instructor when he said over the radio "I can look, but you can't".
    To be fair, it probably won't on a CBT, it'll make the instructor mention it over the radio and at the debrief. It will definitely fail you a full test though. I know, I did it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast