+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any motorbike riders here? First time rider advice. in General; Originally Posted by burnsyb0y Good to know, i thought the cbt was going to be really intensive and hard. It ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsyb0y View Post
    Good to know, i thought the cbt was going to be really intensive and hard.
    It should be good fun. They are basically just out to make sure you have some basic skills and aren't a huge danger to yourself. I bought my mother one when she was 65 and she had a great time and passed.
    Nice bit of advice on watching out for other drivers, have to do this even on my pedal bike, drivers in luton seem to all be arrogant idiots.
    It used to be summed up as : "It wasn't *my* fault" - be sure to let everyone know that by having it chiselled on your gravestone. Riding a motorbike you have to take responsibility for everyone's mistakes.

Thank Post
    Also one last thing, other than the highway code, is there anything else you would recommend reading up on or anything else in general i should know?
    Roadcraft.

3. Thanks to pcstru from:

burnsyb0y (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    3 miles? Stick with the bicycle and get a motorbike for weekend entertainment!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    As this is related here's a question for some of the more knowledgable members, If I obtained my CBT in late 2010 and passed my full UK driving license in early 2012 does that mean I can ride a 50cc scooter with people on the back and no L plates? I'm sure I read this was the case it's only if you want a 125 do you have to retake your CBT and you only retake your CBT every 2 years for a 50cc if you're on provisional driving license??? Any help?
    When you say Full UK licence, you mean full UK licence for a car? If so, then no. A motorbike is a separate category of vehicle and unless you have done a bike test, you should not be carrying a pillion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    3 miles? Stick with the bicycle and get a motorbike for weekend entertainment!
    I would much rather ride a motorbike, i do not enjoy pedal bikes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the advice everyone has given so far has been excellent. I rode for 12 years (before I had to get a car due to children etc.) and my best advice would be to echo @Andrew_C.
    Get decent protective clothing. Even off eBay if you have to, and get some good waterproofs too. Don't be concerned with how you look. As long as you are warm and protected that's what counts. I used to ride from Germany to Lancashire on a regular basis and having good gear made all of the difference. Once you've got it, it lasts for years.
    As has also been said, don't trust anyone else on the road. Look around, don't rely on your mirrors and don't take stupid chances. If you don't think you can make a maneuver then don't commit. And buy a decent lock. Don't skimp there either!
    In my 12 years of rising I only had one accident. I was taken off at low speed by a drunk cyclist who shot straight out into the road in front of me after returning to Germany (a 500 mile trip that one). I broke lots of fingers and toes on my right hand side. And that was at about 25mph with full leathers on.
    Most of all, enjoy yourself, it's great fun

8. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    When you say Full UK licence, you mean full UK licence for a car? If so, then no. A motorbike is a separate category of vehicle and unless you have done a bike test, you should not be carrying a pillion.
    OK, I think that may be wrong for a scooter, so I'll shut me face.

10. Thanks to pcstru from:

abillybob (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    anything else in general i should know?
    One more thing no one has said : Wear earplugs. Wind noise is loud, persistent and can quite quickly damage your hearing.

Thank Post
    Cheers mate

Thank Post
    Glad to see you are considering joining our minority group!

1. It doesn't matter ultimately if you buy 2 or 4 stroke but you do need to understand the differences in terms of riding style and maintenance. Several other posts have covered this so I won't cover old ground. I would personally stick with the Hondas at 125cc they are bulletproof!

2. You will probably need to spend as much money on your gear as you do on the bike. Please only buy a gold standard helmet it is definitely one thing you do not want to skimp on. My advice would be to buy waterproof jacket, gloves, trousers and boots with the british standards kitemark as a minimum. I know that only the helmet is a legal requirement but seriously it doesn't take a high speed crash to do serious damage.

3. Once you pass your CBT don't forget that you must have an L plate on your bike. And you can't ride on motorways, that includes the A38m if you're in Birmingham!

4. If you are serious about your riding look to take your full test ASAP, then consider joining an advanced motorcyclist group such as RoSPA or IAM.

Take care and ride safe.

foofigterjim RoSPA Gold rider since 2005.

14. Thanks to foofighterjim from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    foofigterjim RoSPA Gold rider since 2005.
    Wow. Respect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Don't buy Chinese, or anything odd. It will have NO resale value next week, never mind when you've had time to pass your test and move on to a bigger bike. Loath I am to say it (mine's Italian) go for a Japanese bike.

Yes, theoretically a 2 stroke will give more power, but in real-world riding, I doubt you'll notice.

GET SOME TRAINING! Then get some more*. CBT is laughably easy if you have any road sense at all. Passing the Modules is more complex than getting a full car licence, but I doubt it will really lead to better riders.

Buy decent protective kit. Helmet doesn't have to be expensive, but look for 5* Sharp rating. Don't go out in jeans, trainers and a tee shirt. SQUID = Stupid, Quick, Under-dressed & Imminently Dead.

Beware forgetting to cancel your indicators; my instructor nearly got squished when out in front of me.

*Local plod or firebrigade may do Bike Safe sessions. Lots of fun, and worth every penny; perhaps best suited to someone with a few months riding under their belt.
    This is great advice - especially the decent protective kit and make sure you wear it every single time. You can be hurt just as easily when you're 'just nipping down the road'. Buy new, not second hand - you can't know it's history. Hein Gerike is expensive, but places like J&S have some cheaper brands worth looking at.

If you haven't booked your CBT yet, get some recommendations from local bikers. The one I went on was brilliant. Ask them all the questions that are popping into your head - they'll be full of information and very willing to talk about it if they're any good.

If you already drive cars start adjusting your driving style - look further ahead and expect anything to happen. Assume everyone is going to pull out in front of you so you're prepared when they do. You need to ride motorbikes defensively.

Enjoy it - it's great fun.

Thank Post
    Do it. Do it now. Riding through all the wind, raind, snow, hail, floods will make you a better rider and give you a greater appreciation for the dry sunny days. Nothing more exhilerating than riding to work with ice on the inside of your visor.

Make sure you get a good deal on the bike at this time of year too.

I have been off my bike twice - once through not paying attention, once through a car driver not paying attention. Still the most exciting thing I have in my life.

Another vote for the Hyosungs - the mrs had one for 3 years and it stood up well and was a bargain at £900 for a 6mth old one.

Once you have done your CBT get some proper lessons, get RoSPA'd or IAM'd and go for it.

Thank Post
    Good for you.

Tips I learnt during my time:
    1. Wear HiViz vest/jacket to ensure you are seen
    2. Avoid riding over white paint markings and drain covers as much as possible - they can be very slippery.
    3. stay away from bus stops - they are generally very slippery with diesel etc.
    4. Do not get into arguments with cars - its not worth it. No matter how frustrated yu might be with them sometimes!
    5. The lifesaver is taught for a reason - USE IT!

Enjoy!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Buy new, not second hand - you can't know it's history.
    Definitly for lids; but I'd not worry too much abot other stuff. In fact, most of mine came from ebay. Gave up buying boots on line, but a full set of leathers for £35? Decent fabric would be a better bet at this time of year, size up so you can get a fleece on as well. The two worst things are cold hands, and sitting in a puddle. You cannot buy* over trousers that keep that puddle out. Glove liners are good, as are over-mits, but heated grips are the mut's.

*OK - I've never found

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast