+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Anyone read ICT Reviews? in General; Hi folks, I would like to ask you all if you receive and/or read the free Education IT publication ICT ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 589 Posts

Anyone read ICT Reviews?

Hi folks,

I would like to ask you all if you receive and/or read the free Education IT publication ICT Reviews? If so, do you find it interesting, are the reviews helpful, or is it just another glossy bit of junkmail that clogs up your pigeonhole 3 times a year?

If you don't know what it is, it's a sister publication to PC Pro that is sent out free to education IT managers, headmasters and the like in the UK. You can download an old copy of it here to see what I'm talking about: Download issue 4 of ICT Reviews for schools now! | Education | News | PC Pro

VeryPC have advertised in it and had reviews in it before, but not for a little while now. I'm just trying to get an idea of how relevant a publication it is to you all currently and decide if we should invest in any more advertising or push for any new reviews in it.

Come to think of it, what are your main sources of IT journalism (print or web)? Do many of you bother with IT print publications any more, or are you online info all the way these days?

I would really appreciate your feedback on this if you can spare 2 minutes to post - it will help us target our advertising more and remove that level of uncertainty you always have when shelling out for this kind of thing.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Thank Post
    I think I received one once here with a very ex member of staff's name on it. I tried to get the name changed and PC Pro and the advertising company that I was passed to didn't have a clue so I told them to take my name off the list.

I think beyond the finding the wrong name I had a quick flick and then it went to be recycled.

I'm more inclined to ask here or look at online reviews. The only problem I'm finding with online reviews is often the category is well out of date (so a printer test was last done 10 months ago) and the number of models that get released means then reviews are soon out of date. That leaves me back with asking if anyone on here has used it.

Maybe EduGeeks next market? EduReviews.

3. 2 Thanks to TechMonkey:

VeryPC (11th February 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (13th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's the one bit of fluff that lands in my pigeon hole that I do find useful, actually. Had some good info on classroom management packages once, just as I was looking at a new classroom management package, and in general it's well produced and written by people who know what they're on about.

If the question you're really asking is "is it worth us sending a review unit in?", well, I read it all when it turns up, and it's all presented professionally enough to convince people, IMHO. Yes that is the question you're asking (should really read all the post instead of skimming past in my excitement to post), and yes I find it useful. It's the only print publication I read on IT, as it happens (the fact it is sent to me free is directly relevant). Other than that, I just read here and across a handful of other tech sites - mostly American ones like AnandTech and Ars Technica.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 11th February 2014 at 01:53 PM.

5. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

VeryPC (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Maybe EduGeeks next market? EduReviews.
    That's a cracking idea, but it might clash with @Dos_Box's very honourable code of impartiality. I wonder if there'd be away for the guys to do that with member reviews or something, maybe on a separate domain? Just spitballing here of course.

Al

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not register edureview.net or .org or whatever and then all reviews can go on there?

Doesn't conflict with the edugeek code of conduct and the advertisers can do reviews, as could select personnel from the edugeek website.

Thank Post
    I think my line manager might get that sent to him here, seems decent enough as a magazine, the only thing I noticed with that magazine in which I just looked at the PDF for, none of the reviews seemed to have anyones name associated with them

9. Thanks to rich_tech from:

VeryPC (13th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I tend to just search online for reviews of products.

I also have somehow got a subscription to Custom pc which I read through on my tablet.

11. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

VeryPC (13th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feeback folks.

Al

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Had a few copies and it is good but prefer online now as most won't send to me.

I find reviews useful to find out what's wrong with a product so you need a good cross section to get the whole picture. So online is really useful.

14. Thanks to vikpaw from:

VeryPC (14th February 2014)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    That's a cracking idea, but it might clash with @Dos_Box's very honourable code of impartiality. I wonder if there'd be away for the guys to do that with member reviews or something, maybe on a separate domain? Just spitballing here of course.

Al
    They'd need to pick unbiased posters too which may be a bit tricky when it comes to certain vendors.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    They'd need to pick unbiased posters too which may be a bit tricky when it comes to certain vendors.
    I volunteer @VeryPC_Colin_M to review all VeryPC products - no chance of bias there.

Al

17. Thanks to VeryPC from:

nephilim (14th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am happy to do reviews, did that wireless one which seemed to go down well I am happy to pull apart products as well as praise them where they deserve it.

Just ask Meru about the damage I caused which had Mark coming to see me personally to go over with me the improvements they since made to their technology!

Thank Post
    I've never read it. I tend to empty my pigeon hole once a month and 99% of it goes straight in the bin (apart from my payslip!) so I may have seen it before but I wouldn't remember.
    Online all the way for me. I try and read a cross section of the tech review sites, and don't rely on just one as I don't believe any are 100% impartial.

20. Thanks to hallb15 from:

Thank Post
    I used to receive but not anymore.
    I found it useful when I went for break and had something to read while I drank my coffee but found it increasingly useless for anything else.
    Adverts went mostly unnoticed and I never used it to buy kit.

Suppliers are now found by word of mouth and edugeek presence.

I hate cold callers, and pushy sales but do take time to accept their calls. Im more open to follow a lead if they include something different, like quote for something generic so that I can decide if they are worth a punt. A chocolate business card would put you in the lead but there is a chance it would digest before it was read rather than read and digested.
    Last edited by Galway; 14th February 2014 at 12:18 PM.

22. Thanks to Galway from:

Thank Post
    I'm a bit biased as I have written for it a few times - but I have always found it useful and have picked up a couple of useful tips / ideas from the features and looked at a couple of products we probably we wouldn't have on the back of the reviews.

Writing for it was how I actually come across VeryPC initially a few years back.

I have thought a few times about setting up an Educational focused news and reviews type site if it would be of interest to anyone to read or contribute too - likewise would be interested in contributing if anyone else went ahead with it.
    Last edited by Jamoire; 17th February 2014 at 11:22 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread