+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, RM Neon Theme in General; Hi how do i get rid of the awful rm neon theme making my eyes go all funny!!...

Thank Post

RM Neon Theme

Hi

how do i get rid of the awful rm neon theme making my eyes go all funny!!

2. 7 Thanks to victory2012:

hallb15 (13th February 2014), hardtailstar (10th February 2014), hawc (13th February 2014), IWDave (10th February 2014), speckytecky (10th February 2014), stevenlong1985 (11th February 2014), visioN (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    go down to the bottom of any page and bottom left is a style chooser select v5 blue

4. 10 Thanks to sted:

hallb15 (13th February 2014), ICTDirect_Dave (10th February 2014), IWDave (10th February 2014), LosOjos (11th February 2014), Mcom (12th February 2014), sonofsanta (11th February 2014), speckytecky (10th February 2014), stevenlong1985 (11th February 2014), victory2012 (10th February 2014), visioN (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    go down to the bottom of any page and bottom left is a style chooser select v5 blue
    I'd forgotten I could do that! Finally got rid of the awfulness!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    I'd forgotten I could do that! Finally got rid of the awfulness!
    for me its more about advertising the competition lol but it was a bit harsh on the eyes

Thank Post
    Lifesaver thank you!!

still shows up on the homepage though!! can live with that i guess...

Thank Post
    I like it

9. 4 Thanks to David_Palmer:

ButterflyMoon (11th February 2014), Dos_Box (10th February 2014), Garacesh (11th February 2014), ZeroHour (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Had to turn it off. Was doing weird things to my eyes. Like e-snow blindness!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Same here it was burning my corneas!

Annoyingly when you change the theme back it doesn't apply to your account only to the computer you are using.

Thank Post
    Yeah! .. Who's RM anyway?

13. Thanks to detjo from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Please sort the homepage out. Due to my eyes being funny, it makes the site hard to use.

Thank Post
    Will EduGeek allow anyone to takeover the forum if they offer the right ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Had to turn it off. Was doing weird things to my eyes. Like e-snow blindness!
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Same here it was burning my corneas!
    I have to ask but when you pass an orange shop does the logo cause you all to spontaneously combust?
    The green is basically mint green which is found on a million things so an aversion to that colour will have issues although you can set it back to blue except the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    Please sort the homepage out. Due to my eyes being funny, it makes the site hard to use.
    The homepage is hard locked to that theme sadly but we may be able to improve the colour scheme a bit, only the header area is coloured after you pick something other than blue. Homepage styling only lasts a week though but we do have a possible other company interested in doing it too. We do try to limit run durations and try to avoid back to back campaign although we may not be able to do that this time.
    We only have maybe 2 - 4 style changes per year, the BETT one was done by us for us at BETT.

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Will EduGeek allow anyone to takeover the forum if they offer the right ?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Palmer View Post
    I like it
    I suspect a few people who just hate the fact its RM rather than the mint green even though RM is no longer much like RM of old since they no longer make pc's and have a had quite a few staff changes. Now they are also owned by Systemax.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 10th February 2014 at 07:40 PM.

17. 6 Thanks to ZeroHour:

Dos_Box (10th February 2014), elsiegee40 (11th February 2014), john (11th February 2014), Little-Miss (11th February 2014), nephilim (11th February 2014), TheScarfedOne (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Shaun covered all of the points there, but, as happens every few years I feel it is time to lay out a few facts for you about what EduGeek is doing and how we go about it.

• Where we came from: For those of you old and bold who were here in 2005 when we opened the doors to EduGeek for the first time you will remember (possibly somewhat fondly) that it was started as a small community intended for IT professionals who worked in schools throughout the UK. It was, to all intents and purposes a hobby site created by myself to fill a gap that other online communities seemed not to be filling, and with an anticipation that we'd have a few hundred members tops it still amazes me that we are to hit 70,000 globally in the next week or so. We also made sure that everything we did on EduGeek would be free of charge and at no cost to our members and that we would protect your privacy and identities which we still do to this day.
    • Looking after you: There is one thing we at EduGeek have always prided ourselves on, and that is the way we have treated our members. As I pointed out above, we take your privacy very seriously. That is why we do not sell or pass on your details to anyone. Ever. So the next time someone suggest that we are not being honest, I suggest you ask the other forums you may be members of if they have signed up with the Information Commissionaires Office and are fully conversant with the Data Protection Act. We guard your personal data.
      We also ensure that you avoid getting in trouble with the law. It's not uncommon for us to receive a letter or email from a legal body representing a corporate entity either demanding a members details or asking for posts to be removed. We usually deal with these in the background with a minimum of fuss and prevent the member getting in deep water. When we tell people what you say on EduGeek goes a long way we are not joking. Almost every major IT company in the world lurks here with a keen ear as to what you have to say. 99% Of this lurking is benevolent and just companies quietly gathering feedback and market research, but some have an axe to grind. We shield you from a lot of potential harm this way. With almost 22.5 million visits per year and a net ranking of about 18,400 what you say here has influence.
      We also ensure that we pump a lot of the money we make back into the community, from hosting our free conferences (which costs us a great deal of money when someone decides they can't be bothered to turn up for the day) to providing food and freebies at BETT we spend very large sums of money each year looking after you. This year we intend to pack in several conferences at various locations meaning we shall spend even more! The other week at BETT we had to spend just short of 4000 in living expenses, travel, lunchtime pizza (there's 300 for the 4 day period!) and freebies alone for members and mods alike. To do all of this, for you, takes money.
    • How we are funded: EduGeek began to get funded almost by accident about 7 years back when one small, yet far sighted, company, who's name escapes me - I think they did something with internet filtering - asked whether they could perhaps sponsor a forum. So I said yes, which was good because up until then I had been paying for the hosting out of my own pocket and now could cover it through that. Then some more companies asked and we are where we are today. These sponsorship help keep us running and pay the wages yet they do come with conditions. We make every sponsor sign a code of conduct (oh, and they don't get your details either. See a pattern here?) that ensures both they, you and other sponsors do not come to blows, and it works very well indeed, although it did take several years and some mistakes until we got to the point we are now.
      Then there is advertising. Notice the lack of pop-ups, pop-unders and roadblocks? No? We take an enormous amount of care to ensure everything you see on EduGeek is relevant and that the company advertising has a professional and healthy relationship with any potential customers they may gain from their presence here. We could make lots more by adding large amounts of ads and the aforementioned pop-ups-unders etc. if we allowed them with our traffic levels but that would make the experience considerable worse for all.
      But we don't. We carefully vet everyone and there are more than a few companies we do not allow to advertise or sponsor because we do not think they would have your best interests at heart. We also are trying to remove 3rd party ad networks where possible instead hosting the ad's and vetting the files directly for all advertising that appears. Which is why I'm a little miffed at the RM negativity (not directed at those who simply don't like the mint green colour) being displayed today. RM as a company today is not the same one many of you remember from years ago. As Shaun has pointed out. There have been 'changes', and if you want to influence a company I suggest you start talking to them. Nicely, in a freely provided neutral environment. Now where are you going to find somewhere like that?
    • The work we put in: EduGeek is hard work, unless you have worked closely with us you will not get to see just how many hours Shaun and I put it (Shaun especially at the moment). I went full time in 2009 and Shaun followed me in 2011. There are just the two of us working full time backed up up by the team of moderators who police the site whilst we do all of the web, admin and organisational work, and if you think that is easy think again. We work very long hours, take infrequent holidays and time off and often work weekends. If you have ever helped out at BETT you may notice that both Shaun and I look tired to begin with. This is because we have already done 2 weeks worth of BETT work beforehand. The bit in Excel is like the final straight! And we do this several times a year both in the UK and abroad.
      And we do this for you. All of you, our members. In fact, many of you here on the forums earn more than we do. We could pocket more, but we would have to sell you out first. Would you like that?

So, to summerise:

• We are not selling you out
    • We are not owned or influenced by anyone else
    • We try to have YOUR best interests at heart and look after you in ways you do not even get to see
    • We are not raking it in - We are building a company
    • All our sponsors and advertisers have been carefully vetted first, we don't pile them in just to make a mountain of cash (we could if we didn't care about you)
    • What you say does go a long way here. Use that power carefully
    • Lots of the money EduGeek generates goes back into the community
    • When you complain about something frivolous on the site that you don't like chances are we have put in tens of hours of work into it. See all those posts in BTRD? That's how it makes us feel
    • Without Advertisers and sponsors EduGeek could not operate, so please realise without them we could do none of the above.

Right, I hope that's cleared that up, so please take all of that on board and enjoy the forums once more in the knowledge that they really are totally free. We pick up the tab for you.
    Now, where's the Edu HobNobs?

P.S. Thanks again Smoothwall (and all our sponsors) for all the support over the years and a thanks to all you, our members who keep helping others from all over the world.

Chris.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 11th February 2014 at 06:46 AM.

19. 38 Thanks to Dos_Box:

AButters (11th February 2014), CAM (11th February 2014), clareq (12th February 2014), DMcGuigan (11th February 2014), Earthling (11th February 2014), elsiegee40 (11th February 2014), Garacesh (11th February 2014), glennda (11th February 2014), hardtailstar (10th February 2014), HarryMonkey (10th February 2014), hawc (11th February 2014), jdoldridge (11th February 2014), john (11th February 2014), Koldov (11th February 2014), Little-Miss (11th February 2014), LosOjos (11th February 2014), Mako (11th February 2014), Mark182 (11th February 2014), Miscbrah (11th February 2014), nawbus (11th February 2014), nephilim (11th February 2014), north-ict (11th February 2014), Pyroman (12th February 2014), robk (11th February 2014), Scotbynature (11th February 2014), SHimmer45 (11th February 2014), Smee (11th February 2014), sonofsanta (11th February 2014), sparkeh (10th February 2014), SpuffMonkey (10th February 2014), sted (11th February 2014), stevenlong1985 (11th February 2014), TomCollins (11th February 2014), TronXP (11th February 2014), visioN (12th February 2014), webman (10th February 2014), witch (11th February 2014), ZeroHour (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I suspect a few people who just hate the fact its RM rather than the mint green even though RM is no longer much like RM of old since they no longer make pc's and have a had quite a few staff changes. Now they are also owned by Systemax.
    RM aren't owned by Sytemax. They merely passed their PC business across to Misco (who are owned by Systemax). And it was only the existing stock, parts and support. They're still discussing whether to sell on tooling rights for the RM machines.

21. Thanks to DPrince from:

ZeroHour (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    When I asked the question above, I was purely wondering whether EduGeek had formed special agreements with particular companies to do this kind of thing or whether it was just a case of companies coming along and offering to do it. I wasn't suggesting at all that EduGeek was just after the and would do whatever they could to make a quick pound regardless of its members. I'm sure it goes without saying just how much we do all appreciate EduGeek.

23. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

ZeroHour (10th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast