+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, RM Neon Theme in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    When I asked the question above, I was purely wondering whether EduGeek had formed special agreements with particular companies to do this kind of thing or whether it was just a case of companies coming along and offering £ to do it. I wasn't suggesting at all that EduGeek was just after the £ and would do whatever they could to make a quick pound regardless of its members. I'm sure it goes without saying just how much we do all appreciate EduGeek.
    Sorry it could have been read one of 2 ways and my shouty voice was the one in my head
    Site skins always involved EduGeek<->company direct communication to make mocks etc but sometimes our ad broker is involved in the middle but we maintain approval/rejection of ideas etc and usually the broker has been contacted because x company was wondering about doing work with us. We do also deal directly with companies as well with skins/sponsorship etc. I personally like the site skins as it does involve a lot more work but I think it has more impact than traditional ad banners while allowing us to try out new colours etc.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 11th February 2014 at 12:04 AM.

2. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Edu-IT (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like the colours. Any chance of keeping it as a permanent choice following the current promotion?

I'm fully in agreement what Shaun and Chris have said. EduGeek is a fantastic community and resource that costs nothing to be a part of, which is all managed extremely well. If the current colours aren't to your liking, its a minor inconvenience at most
    Last edited by webman; 11th February 2014 at 12:08 AM.

4. 2 Thanks to webman:

Ric_ (12th February 2014), ZeroHour (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess not many of us realise the hard work put in by @Dos_Box and @ZeroHour to keep this place running, for free (and I can't think of another resource that's so rich and useful that you don't have to pay for) so it must be a kick in the teeth get some of the negative feedback they do, especially over a skin.

Keep up the good work guys, it is appreciated.

At risk of incurring my own wrath, just wondering if it's a trivial matter to apply this kind of thing to the app somehow?

6. 3 Thanks to sparkeh:

Little-Miss (11th February 2014), Ric_ (12th February 2014), ZeroHour (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @ZeroHour personally, i find it hard to view, its not easy on my eye. Yes that colour is used lots, but usually in smaller doses. Sharp contrasting colours can be harsh, thats why books are not printed on brilliant white paper. It wasn't quite burning the corneas but wasn't easy on the eye. Thats all, wasn't having a go, just confirming what other users thought as well.

@sparkeh to be honest reviving critical feedback is just a fact of life, especially in business. Im sure the people in the Windows 8 department are used to it
    Last edited by FN-GM; 11th February 2014 at 12:54 AM.

8. Thanks to FN-GM from:

ZeroHour (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I'm going to add my pennies here... in a nice way

I thanked the OP because it hurt my eyes too, I changed the theme back to the standard one but didn't make a fuss as what sponsors the forum has it down to the owners. I have my views on RM and others will do too.

Now its the nicer bit....Ive not been on the forum that long possible nearly two years? but anyway I'd like to use this time to just put my vote of thanks to all the mods and admin on what a great forum this is, I have been on a few 'IT' forums and it just seems to be a slanging match over whats better, here just is so much better, more adult.

This forum has given me great advice and fun that its got me out of a few holes.

so to finish, Thanks all and keep up the good work

10. 2 Thanks to hardtailstar:

Ric_ (12th February 2014), ZeroHour (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    @sparkeh to be honest reviving critical feedback is just a fact of life, especially in business. Im sure the people in the Windows 8 department are used to it
    Heh indeed.
    However there is a slight difference. EG is run by two blokes cramming as many hours in as they can for the benefit of the community. It's personal (I imagine).
    The alternative to using well vetted sponsors to fund the site is to either open up donations again or go to a subscription model. Wonder what the complaints would look like then

12. 3 Thanks to sparkeh:

elsiegee40 (11th February 2014), Little-Miss (11th February 2014), Ric_ (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    (not directed at those who simply don't like the mint green colour)
    TBH that's the only issue I had with it.

The black and white looks cool, but the mint is too bright.

I don't like RM based on personal experience with them but if partnering up with them, having them as sponsors, having their ads and/or letting them have a theme is what has to happen for Edugeek to stay free then I can live with it.

And if it's getting to be too much for you guys, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of people applying for jobs.

14. Thanks to X-13 from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    At risk of incurring my own wrath, just wondering if it's a trivial matter to apply this kind of thing to the app somehow?
    Not easily or practically no so the apps are safe
    We did toy with app ads but based on the quality of ad's we decided against keeping them live (we still have disclaimer/notice on descriptions though) for now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    @ZeroHour personally, i find it hard to view, its not easy on my eye. Yes that colour is used lots, but usually in smaller doses. Sharp contrasting colours can be harsh, thats why books are not printed on brilliant white paper. It wasn't quite burning the corneas but wasn't easy on the eye. Thats all, wasn't having a go, just confirming what other users thought as well.
    If we left the mint green to the header area (possibly ticker) then it would be better? this is more notes for future rather than now.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    And if it's getting to be too much for you guys, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of people applying for jobs.
    Hehe if only they knew...

The feedback is useful for further skins anyway all, we used to have a style changer at the top of the page near "settings" on the left so as a first step I will look to making it easier/more obvious to change skins in the future rather that way those that want to can quickly go back to blue etc. Not sure exactly where/how it will look just yet though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Proud member since 2007 (whatever colour it is...)

Super proud to be trusted enough to represent Edugeek at events like BETT....

(....oh and this shiny red 'do not press' button, here.... )
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 11th February 2014 at 09:40 AM.

17. 2 Thanks to Little-Miss:

Ric_ (12th February 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I welcome more colour options for the forum personally and have asked for it previously, the blue one is a bit boring nowadays as its the only safe option, the RM one is hard on my eyes, same for the purple one too I find

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I found the mint green jarring at first but grew used to it. Interesting seeing various colour schemes.

Now I ermm, have to swot up on Powershell... Claiming before @X-13...

Thank Post
    I like this colour scheme to be perfectly honest. Its quite fresh! I think I might look into this RM Neon Business too!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    (a lot of stuff)
    /tears up

In my head, I heard that as Russell Crowe riding his horse down his line of battle before the Roman Legions march into the forest to do battle with the Germanic tribes.

It's probably not said enough, but EduGeek is a marvel and a wonder and almost certainly the only reason I still have a job. I've gone and done a Server 2003 MCSA since I got this job, but I've learnt more here than I did on that course. Hopefully I have reflected some of the shining knowledge I have seen in this forum unto others in turn, or at least done enough bad photoshops/sarcastic posters to provide some small amusement as recompense.

(and for my money, the mint green was a bit offputting, but the rebranding in general is something I'm down with as I expect it brings much more in sponsorship than normal ads do.)

22. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

ZeroHour (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I can't say I like it, I found the mint a bit too bright for a website colour, but you can change it and the site's running costs have to be paid for somehow. I just don't see it as that important in the grand scheme of things.

Thank Post
    I like it!
    The black-and-mint up top works really well, but it is a little too bright on the eye when surrounded by white. Either the white background could do with being a tad dimmer, the mint could be a little darker (or have some form of darkening gradient, most of it doesn't seem to, and if it does, it's too subtle)
    Just my two cents

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast